General Fiction posted November 25, 2014 Chapters:  ...47 48 -49- 50... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rastavius has come to aid Leopold. They start with Abramus.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Rastavius Returns

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, Julia and the others encountered a man who called himself "the Oracle". He turned out to be a man cast out of his village. They took pity on him and asked him to join them at the cabin where they would seek shelter. Cassius saw Leopold and Cervantes coming down the road in their carriage and rushed ahead to warn his father. We continue now as Abramus awaits the arrival of Abramus and another visitor who has been in the shadows of the carriage.









~~~~~~~~Rastavius makes his presence known
 

Abramus observed the priests as they approached his home. Rastavius moved with grim purpose. Leopold stood tall as though authority had come to him. Cervantes scurried even though the others moved at an even pace. Abramus nodded to Cassius.
 
Cassius opened the door and stood to the side. "Welcome, Fathers, our home is humble, but always open to servants of the Lord."
 
Leopold led the way. "Abramus is acquainted, but may I present Father Rastavius. This is Cassius, Father."
 
Rastavius already had his hand extended and Cassius shook it with some vigor. "My pleasure, I am familiar with your name and works, of course." He decided to get to the point. "What brings you to our home today?"
 
Abramus stepped forward sensing the abruptness of his son's inquiry. "My son is impetuous. Would I were so young and given to curiosity. You must thirst after a long journey. There is tea set to boil or perhaps a mug of ale to wash away the dust of the road."
 
Leopold clearly stood back in deference to Rastavius who spoke, "Some tea would be appreciated, if it's not too much trouble. It has been a great long while, Abramus. You look well. I fear my visit is of some urgency and concerns, in part, one of your own. Leopold has reported to me regarding your daughter Julia. I recall her as a child. She was given to wild fantasies and visions. Her youth and sweet disposition may have waylaid us at the time from the truth of her condition. I understand the visions and demon possession have persisted, and she has come under the care of the physician, Valerius, is that correct?"
 
Cassius, sensing his father needed time to respond, came from the kitchen with tea for the priests. "I hope this meets with favor to you. It is a blend of my dear Mother's invention. It brings her spirit to us when the aroma fills the air."
 
Leopold had been boring a hole into Abramus with his gaze. He glanced away at the intrusion of Cassius. "Yes, uh … your mother was a dear lady, Cassius. She is missed."
 
Rastavius remained fixed on Abramus. He repeated his question, "Valerius is her physician?"
 
"They are friends and he has examined her. He finds her to be in excellent health." Abramus decided that being forthcoming would not be to anyone's advantage.
 
Rastavius continued, as though expecting such an answer. "Valerius has come under the tutelage of Trellitia. Her husband and his methods are quite familiar to me. Perhaps a pretty song and a romp through the meadows might persuade a demon to give up its struggle, but such is not the case in my experience. Satan is powerful, Abramus, he seeks a foothold and, when he finds it, is loath to relinquish it. I have no doubt that Valerius is sincere, but I caution you, his methods will not help your daughter. The Devil is clever and may trick you with illusions of progress. You may even believe all is well. I assure you, it is not. It is when the Evil One is ignored he is the most dangerous."
 
Cassius could barely contain his anger. Ignoring the stern look from his father, he spoke, "Julia is not possessed by any demon, I assure you. She is nothing but kind and giving to all she encounters. Whatever it is she sees, it is not of the Devil, that much is clear. Every mystery is not evil. Are the stars evil? Is the warmth from the sun the fires of hell? The Lord has all knowledge, we do not. His purpose for Julia is, perhaps, unknown to us, that does not make her possessed. It is clear though, she is of the Lord and no other."
 
Abramus felt pride within himself. His son had spoken with great truth. "Indeed, is there a more honest and giving soul in the village than my Julia? A demon would drown in the goodness she is filled with."
 
Cervantes seemed eager as he spoke. "Of course, you would feel that about your own daughter. That is to be expected. These are men experienced in such manners. They are chosen of God for no other purpose than the saving of souls. You perceive an attack when there is none…."
 
Rastavius raised his hand and Cervantes stopped speaking immediately. "Thank you, son. True all you say and appreciated. I realize the difficulty to my old friend here. Surely, you see that others are now drawn here. Such is their way. They come in the night by way of shadow, creeping into the hearts of decent men with tales of woe. Before long, a village is under siege. Then it becomes a war. It is our function to prevent it. Is there not a child already arrived beset with visions and embraced by Valerius? A family has fled the warmth and care of its own community to come here for shelter. Shelter from what? The loving intervention of God Almighty, that is what. Surely, you can see what happens before your own eyes. It is only the beginning. There will be another and then another and then another after that. This village will be home to evil. We are here to help, Abramus. Let us help you now while there is still time."
 
Leopold eyed Cassius who sat in stunned silence. Leopold spoke, "Your horse is sweaty and recently ridden hard. Where did you come from in such a hurry?"
 
Cassius looked up at Leopold who stared steely-eyed at him. "I … uh … I went for a ride. What of it? I enjoy a brisk ride now and then. I inspected our fields and decided to enjoy the air and beauty of the forest."
 
"And not tend to the comfort of your steed upon return? It remains tied outside uncared for. A compelling need to get inside to your father it seems. Why the urgency?" Leopold surmised correctly that Cassius rushed to his father as though he knew to warn him of their arrival.
 
"I saw you coming down the road and rushed in to make tea is all. I forgot about my horse in the excitement of your visit. I thank you for the reminder." Cassius rushed out the door as much to get away from the interrogation as to tend to his horse.
 
Leopold turned his attention to Abramus. "Where is young Julia by the way?"
 
Abramus answered coldly, "She is away."
 
"Away? Away to where, if I may be so bold. And the little girl, the one who calls upon hellhounds, where is she? And the family whose son is demon possessed, are they away as well?" Leopold looked evil under his furrowed brow.
 
"I know nothing of any family. My daughter's whereabouts is my concern. The little girl is of concern to her mother. If I see her I will voice your concerns." Abramus gazed at Leopold with purpose until the priest looked away.
 
Rastavius rose. "The tea suited me. Your wife's spirit filled the room indeed. You will find, my friend, when it comes to the safety of God's children we leave no stone unturned. Satan is the enemy as are his sympathizers. We will find what we seek. If there are demons, they will be driven out. It is the souls of the afflicted that concerns us, nothing more. Should you be contacted by the runaway Winslow and his family or if you happen to know of their whereabouts, please tell them we wish to help their son. It is of grave importance."
 
Rastavius headed to the door and the other two priests followed close behind.
 
Cassius observed from the barn as they mounted the carriage and returned down the road. They were heading back the way they had come, heading towards Julia and the others. He mounted his horse and took a route he hoped would get him to Julia before their carriage arrived.




 



Recognized


love this story. I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.