General Fiction posted November 18, 2014 Chapters:  ...44 45 -46- 47... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Safe housing for the girls sought. Valerius sees answers.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Possible New Home, Valerius Inquires

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, The various individuals are scrambling to either protect themselves or put themselves in position to go on the offensive. The Priests suspect that Winslow and his family are being harbored by Abramus or Petrus. If the family isn't already at one of their houses then they will be before long. Valerius is with Father Cicero on his way to offer aid to a nearby village. He has stopped to warn his father of the plans of Father Leopold. Father Thurston has told Abramus what he knows and returned to the parish. Cervantes is aware that Thurston has been absent and soon Leopold knows. Petrus confers with Thurston at the parish out of sight of Leopold. We continue know as Petrus visits Trellitia with plans to hide the children in the woods. She lives in the woods and may know of abandoned dwellings.



~~~~~~~~~Petrus visits Trellitia

 
Trellitia showed surprise at seeing Petrus at her doorstep. "Why, Petrus, a pleasure to see you. Do you bring news? Please come in."
 
"Thank you. I don't mean to be short. Yes, I bring news and not pleasant news I'm afraid. The children are in danger and by implication; I suspect we all are. This obsession with demons and the like does not end at the doorstep of Father Leopold … he has allies. I fear that they are formidable allies. I come seeking your help." Petrus looked to Trellitia with urgency.
 
"I am not one needing persuasion in these matters. What is it an old lady can offer?"
 
"We wish to take no chances. We feel it best to hide the children for the time being. We are aware of your holdings here in the forest and your knowledge of these woods. We seek a secure location in which to hide the children."
 
"The forest can hide many things, Petrus. The laughter and light of children is both noisy and bright. They will need supervision and the roads leading to them will need monitoring. How will you explain their absence? Julia especially is known to be at her families side at all times."
 
"Yes, I understand. I fear the military may be involved. Leopold has the ear of Rastavius who takes interest in this matter. I know you are familiar with him. Most of us have never left the village, but we hear things, terrible things. We are but farmers, but we value our families. We are not given to idleness should they be in danger. The cost is fearsome. I dread what may come to be."
 
"You are wise to fear, Petrus. The state will do the church's bidding to placate the church. It has always been so. Soldiers are soldiers as they have always been. Their course is clear. Bring them here. There is a cabin in the woods nearby. It is in disrepair, but it is shelter. I am nearby of course." I'm quite alive now, dear husband. Is this your doing? Trellitia escorted Petrus to the door.
 
Petrus turned to take his leave, "Thank you, Trellitia. May I say how proud your husband would be of you were he here."
 
"Oh, he's here, Petrus … he's here."
 

~~~~~~~Petrus visits Abramus
 

"Enter my friend. May I offer you something?" Abramus smiled slightly realizing this to be a visit borne of urgency.
 
"Some tea perhaps, if it would not be too much trouble." Petrus sat in the kitchen with weariness.
 
"Tea is brewing as we speak. It has been a day of much excitement." Julia smiled.
 
"Thank you. Indeed, it has. I feel as though I've been called to service. I've spoken with Trellitia. She has suitable shelter for the children. My son visited in a hurry on his way out of town. He believes Father Cicero to be in league with Leopold. They both suspect that Winslow and his family either are here or soon will be here. It is not safe for them. He fears for Julia and Florentina as well. Leopold is convinced of their possession and will hear no sense." Petrus leaned forward on the table and took a deep breath.
 
"There is no need for me to hide out in the forest, Petrus. I am able to take care of myself. I believe it in the best interest of the children, however, to seek safety. I have witnessed events like these many times. Those who believe they understand God are more piteous than those who believe they understand Man. I suggest we prepare for battle. I suggest we prepare for loss." Julia poured tea and brought it to Petrus.
 
Abramus smiled. I'll have to give her a reason to go with the others. "I think the children need you there. You understand them better than anyone else. They'll be scared with no one there to guide them."
 
Julia laughed softly. "Father, when will you realize that you are not more clever than I? I do agree though, they will need an adult with them. The forest is said to be a scary place, especially in the evening. I will be there to protect them and dear Trellitia will be close at hand. It will be fun. We will have an adventure that we will talk about for years to come." Julia scooped up Grenadier and took off after Florentina who ran from her screaming in delight.
 
Trellitia grabbed Florentina and lifted her high in the air, "You don't fear witches do you child?"
 
Florentina laughed uncontrollably. "I'll have my father bring the wolves to eat you!" Trellitia set her down quickly and ran to the corner of the room pretending to watch out for the wolves. The little girl shook as she squealed and sputtered with delight.
 
Petrus smiled to Abramus. "I'm pleased they understand the seriousness of this situation."
 
"Yes, my friend, I can see the fear etched in their eyes!" Abramus looked to Heaven and shook his head. They both were unable to keep from laughing at the merriment.
 

~~~~~~~On the road with Valerius and Cicero
 

"I recently returned from Constantinople. Have you been to the big city?" Valerius began his quest for answers.
 
"Yes, indeed I have. We are not so lucky as to have a physician amongst us. The only doctor available is in the city. The great physician Gregorio or his apprentices are of great comfort to many in our village. Of course, there is the occasion to discuss church matters and the like." Cicero tried to appear matter of fact, but he seemed on edge.
 
"You are acquainted with Rastavius whom I met then?"
 
"Indeed, I have met with him on occasion."
 
"I understand that he and Leopold killed a young girl when I last visited Gregorio. Is that practice common in the expulsion of demons?"
 
Cicero began to sweat as though under inquisition. "Common? No, I can't say that common is a word I would use. It is often difficult to comprehend to power of evil. It can take hold and its grasp can be unbreakable. In some rare cases the host is lost in order to vanquish the demon and free the immortal soul." Cicero seemed to find his stride now. "What good to be tortured endlessly in a vessel that is no longer your own? What could be more sad than a soul forced to live with an agent of Satan twisting and churning inside of them causing them to do harm to others. Sadly, yes, the girl's mortal vessel was lost, but her immortal soul was saved to spend eternity in glory."
 
As I thought. "I imagine there is resistance from family and friends. The military can be of great assistance in keeping order." Valerius nodded to the soldiers riding ahead of them.
 
Cicero felt his confidence return. "Yes, in some cases. Personally, I find them a nuisance. What does the Lord need with spear or lance? But then, many times the Lord called upon his people to rise up and vanquish evil in his name. I suppose it can be a necessity. No one wishes bloodshed, but so much is at stake. People cannot be expected to fully understand the ways of the Lord and his servants. To serve is often a thankless calling beset with the judgment of the ignorant. You, yourself, refer to the young girl as being killed. Yes, most would see it thus. I do not take offence especially given you are a physician. The truth is, the girl was released from bondage and misery into the hands of the Creator to a life of eternal bliss. Is that not a wonderful thing?"
 
"I am indeed a physician. I see many maladies of the brain which are simple illness and nothing more. Not everything different or unusual in human behavior is a demon. A child at play with friends who no one sees is a child with imagination and a fertile mind. Why not an older child who sees the world the same way … why not a child grown to an adult? Does not the Lord, Himself, show visions others do not see? Saul on the road to Damascus saw the Lord Jesus clear as day when no one else did. Was he possessed by a demon? Who decides? One who runs their fellow through with a sword at the behest of an imaginary friend is not the same as one who talks to a face they see in the moon."




 



Recognized


Wonderful feedback. I listen to every word and take it to heart. I often get excellent ideas from your thoughts and comments. The encouragement has been so appreciated. I apologize for my terrible record in responding to reviews. I'm buried and try to keep up with reviews first. I swear I read every word and appreciate your input more than you could possibly know. Thank you so very much.


List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.