General Fiction posted November 15, 2014 Chapters:  ...43 44 -45- 46... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Conversations in the open and whispered abound.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Who To Trust

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, Plans began to form as people came and went from place to place. It was clear to everyone that Leopold was determined to cast demons out of Julia and Florentina. The search was on for Winslow and his family and the homes of Abramus and Petrus were considered likely hideouts. Valerius agreed to accompany Cicero to his village to minister aid to an ailing priest. Valerius forwarned his father, Petrus, that Leopold considered his home and the home of Abramus as possible hiding places for the runaway family. Thurston warned Abramus of Leopold's intentions while Leopold conducted a baptism for a villager. We continue now as Cervantes greets Thurston who has returned from visiting Abramus.



~~~~~~~The parish
 

Father Cervantes greeted Thurston as he returned from his meeting with Abramus and the others. "Father, I didn't realize you had a call this afternoon."
 
"We are always on call, son. Nothing of consequence. I enjoy the fresh air and countryside. I need very little excuse to partake of them. If I happen upon a villager then there is my purpose, guided by the hand of the Lord." Thurston smiled. He had yet to form an opinion on the young priest. The young priest's eagerness was to be admired and Thurston recalled his own eagerness from his own early days.  Cervantes was overly in awe of Leopold and himself, Father Thurston kept that in mind.
 
"I hope to be a figure who brings the people comfort one day … a symbol I suppose … like you and Father Leopold. A man whose very presence brings a sense of peace and awareness of God." Cervantes looked to Thurston with hungry eyes.
 
"Always remember, my friend, we are just men. We are no different from those we speak to or encounter on the road, no better, no worse. God has called us and what could we do but answer. We are servants just as the Lord Jesus was. Being looked on with favor reflects his glory and not our own." Thurston searched his eyes for a reaction.
 
Cervantes looked thoughtful as he responded, "Yes, something to keep in mind. I imagine that the respect and status of the cloth might turn a head and raise one's sense of self-worth. You are wise to point out the truth of our mission. I look inside myself and I see a shameful pride where humility and gratitude belong."
 
"Not to fret, son. The Lord is most wise and understanding. He smiles warmly when he hears you say such a thing so honestly. It is to his glory you confess your shortcomings." Thurston smiled warmly. Relief made its way into his mindset. Perhaps Cervantes had yet to be recruited by Leopold. "Remember, it is within your own heart where truth is found. Father Leopold and myself are but two men no different from yourself. We offer advice and opinions. Yes, we might be wise, but it is only that we have seen more than you have seen and experienced more than you have experienced. You are smart to heed our words, but your answers are inside of you and come from the Lord, not us." Thurston studied the young man. Cervantes nodded his head in solemn affirmation.
 
Cervantes spoke, "I will remember what you have said, Father. It is an easy course to cast my lot with an elder and do as he does. Making choices within my own heart and mind is much more difficult. It is sensible that it would be so. Thank you, Father. I am blessed to know you and Father Leopold."
 
The sounds of services coming to a close could be heard outside the rectory. Thurston looked to Cervantes. "Let us go practice our wisdom with some fatted calf then."
 
"Indeed. Both my heart and mind are in accord with your thinking." Cervantes smiled as he approached the door with Father Thurston.
 
The turnout for the baptism flowed into the courtyard of the church. The church itself had stood for over one hundred years mostly unchanged. The village once knew prosperity, but those times were long gone. The church stood as a reminder of better times. It was highly ornate and featured statuary in the courtyard surrounding a large fountain. The sanctuary shined with well-appointed artwork and well rendered statues. Villagers rushed to attend any event of even small significance. To dine in the courtyard of the church was to taste a life that the poor villagers could only envy from a distance.
 
Father Thurston stopped to greet a family he had brought solace to on the loss of their father. Father Cervantes eyed the crowd seeking Leopold. He spotted him and walked hurriedly towards him. Thurston made note.
 
Leopold greeted Cervantes warmly and leaned in quickly to give him his ear. Cervantes whispered, "He took the carriage and claimed to enjoy the countryside. He was gone for a great length of time having returned only a short while ago."
 
Leopold whispered back. "Well done, my son. He went to give warning as I suspected. That family is there as I reasoned they would be. Show merriment. I don't want Thurston meddling with what we have to do. Merriment … let him see it."  
 
Cervantes laughed boisterously and slapped Leopold on the back. "Well, I can tell you that I, for one, am famished. The aroma of that spit drew Father Thurston and I from the rectory."
 
"It is a blessed day. The Lord is smiling down. Ah, Father Thurston." Leopold took leave and made his way to Thurston nearby.
 
Thurston didn't like the way Cervantes rushed to Leopold. Perhaps I am overly suspicious. "I trust the service went well."
 
"Indeed, a lovely service and another precious life given over to the care of the Lord. And how was your day, Father?" I expect you are too clever to lie outright. Leopold made little effort to cover up the accusatory nature of his inquiry.
 
"A carriage ride in the country, quite lovely. I called on Abramus. I have missed him from services of late. He assures me his work has overwhelmed him with his son's injury and he will return to the fold soon. I, of course, reminded him the Sabbath is a day of rest. He told me with some amusement he did, indeed, rest. A pleasant exchange. His son is healed already. Doctor Valerius seems quite skilled, an asset to our village." Did you think I would lie knowing that my dear friend Cervantes has already told you this? Thurston returned the inquisitors stare of Leopold with a defiant and challenging stare of his own.
 
"Yes, I hope he is of service to Father Cicero. Well, let us mingle and, of course, enjoy the bounty of the Lord." Leopold rejoined Cervantes and they left speaking in a conspiratorial manner.
 
Petrus approached Father Thurston from the crowd. Petrus looked to Leopold and Cervantes and seemed assured they were not observing his approach. He motioned to the Father to meet him by a stand of trees near the road that led to the parish.
 
 
Thurston casually walked to the stand of trees observing Leopold and Cervantes and wondering where Petrus had gone.
 
Petrus stepped from behind one of the larger trees. "I bring news and am told that yours is an ear I can trust. Valerius was able to get word to me of Leopold's intentions. We do have Winslow and his family under our protection. They are currently at the home of Abramus. We believe they are not safe there. We fear for the daughter of my son's assistant as well. Florentina is but a child and without wiles in such matters. Of course, Julia you are familiar with. Abramus has charged me with seeking sympathetic ears in the village. We fear the worst. Leopold is obsessed."
 
Thurston continued to look towards Leopold and Cervantes as he spoke. "Indeed, I am one you can trust in these matters. Leopold is indeed given to fervor in this quest of his. The sight of soldiers quickens my heart and chills me. I am under a watchful eye here, but I will do what I can and I will stand for the innocent should it come to that. You may rest assured."
 
Petrus nodded in relief. "I thought as much having known you but a short time. What do you recommend? The boy is beset by fits where his body flails wildly and he becomes unable to speak or even understand what is spoken to him. Julia, you are familiar with her visions. The girl, Florentina, is but a child with seemingly no more than an imagination born from loneliness and sorrow for the loss of her father. Leopold thinks it all the work of the Devil."
 
Thurston nodded and continued, "Safe refuge would seem the order of the day. Trellitia has lands in the forest. She alone may know of a hiding place. Long ago, there were many families that lived in cottages in the forest. Those roads have been taken over and the homes might not be in the best condition. However, to my knowledge, no one stakes claim to them. Make it quick. They seem in earnest discussion already. I trust Leopold not a bit and he appears to have a willing accomplice in Cervantes. Cicero with whom Valerius travels is sympathetic to Leopold as well. He may not be fully aware of Leopold's descent into a fanatical state. I can't say, but Valerius aims to find out if he be friend or foe."
 
Thurston looked around at the throng of revelers. Little do they know the danger that lurks in their village. They revel with evil … evil bearing a cross.



 



Recognized


Wonderful feedback. I listen to every word and take it to heart. I often get excellent ideas from your thoughts and comments. The encouragement has been so appreciated. I apologize for my terrible record in responding to reviews. I'm buried and try to keep up with reviews first. I swear I read every word and appreciate your input more than you could possibly know. Thank you so very much.


List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.