General Fiction posted November 14, 2014 Chapters:  ...42 43 -44- 45... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Valerius on his way. Getting the word out.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Roads Quickly Traveled

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
 
Previously, Valerius treated the young boy that had a seizure assisted by Lourdes and observed by Trellitia. The family had to hide as the priest that they fled from came looking for them at the house of Abramus. The priest, Father Cicero, was also looking for Valerius and was told he might be there. He wanted help with a priest in his own village that was ill. Valerius agreed to accompany the priest back to his village to look at his friend. We continue now as Valerius stops at his father's home to give instructions and pick up a few things.









~~~~~~~A stop at the home of Petrus
 

"I'll need to stop by my home for some things." Valerius smiled to Cicero. "My family might miss me as well." I'll want to alert them to Leopold and the escalation of matters too.
 
Cicero smiled sincerely. "Of course, I realize this is an imposition. Take whatever time you need to get your affairs in order. I consider myself on your time and most gratefully so."
 
"I'll need your assistance." Valerius nodded to Lourdes. I don't plan to leave you alone with Cicero.
 
"Of course." Lourdes accompanied him to the door of his father's home.
 
They both entered. "Father. We are in a rush. I am needed in a nearby village. I have a couple of matters to discuss of some urgency."
 
Lourdes looked back from the window. "He greets the priest and soldiers. He must have been in the fields. He hurries now to the house."
 
Petrus rushed through the door. "What is the need for soldiers, son? Are you being conscripted? Imagine my surprise to look up from my plow. Roman soldiers! War in my barley field. Can't be of benefit to the crop. Well … speak up boy!"
 
Valerius laughed. "Our barley field is safe, Father. The soldiers are to secure us on the road, though I fear they attract more danger then they protect us from. I'm assisting a nearby village who are without medical assistance. I won't be more than a couple days. It is part of my calling."
 
"Very well. You think it wise to bring Lourdes here with you? What of young Florentina? We are happy to provide for her here."
 
"Thank you, Father; I know she would be well cared for here. She is taken with Cassius and a young man her age, Grenadier, visiting there. Abramus assures us she will be no trouble."

Lourdes smiled. "Julia has a calming affect on her even more than I. She is in good hands."

Valerius interjected anxiously, "Now, Father, trouble is what I wish to discuss. Leopold has passed any point of reasoning. It seems he has some backing from the church or claims to. Thurston seems concerned, so I believe there is truth behind his boasting."
 
"What is the nature of the trouble, son. He is a priest after all. What threat could he pose other than to our souls?" Petrus took a chair at the kitchen table and bid the two of them sit. "Would your guests require refreshment?"
 
"No, they are nourished. I don't wish to discuss this matter in their presence. I don't distrust Father Cicero, but I don't put my confidence in him either. He searches for the family being harbored by Abramus at his home. They fled the so-called care of Cicero. Leopold is determined help Julia and Florentina. He considers them both possessed by demons. I am nervous knowing that the main church in Constantinople is involved as well as the military." Valerius paced the kitchen without taking a chair.
 
"These are serious matters, I can see that. I have heard tell of the church going to extreme measures with the full backing of the state. The state considers the church a necessary evil and source of control and riches. It is an ugly marriage, if you ask me." Petrus looked grim.
 
"You have respect in our village, Father, as does Abramus. Leopold has many an ear too, though. You must tell as many sympathetic ears as possible to be at the ready. It is Julia today; it may be their sons and daughters tomorrow. We have a sympathetic ear in Father Thurston. What that gains us, I do not know. But, I believe in his commitment to what is sensible and right. We must go so as not to draw suspicion."
 
Petrus rose to bid his son farewell. "I will do what I can, Son. You do what you can to maintain your own safety. Remember, a physician is a valuable and sought after commodity in these times. Prominence is not always a good thing."
 
They embraced and Valerius made his way to the door along with Lourdes. They rushed to Cicero who awaited them along with the Roman Soldiers.
 

~~~~~~~~~A stop at the parish
 

Father Cicero had a stop of his own to make on his way out of the village. Valerius wanted dearly to hear the conversation Cicero exchanged with Leopold. He saw no opportunity to impose his presence, so he remained with Lourdes and the soldiers.
 
Inside the parish, Leopold spoke quickly as Cicero listened. "It is my belief that the family you seek will find a ready refuge in the homes of Abramus or Petrus. Such are the ways of demons. They congregate together and attract one another. They commune in the shadows and bide their time. If your missing family is nearby, they will be drawn here, if they haven't been already. I will be ever watchful. Valerius may have knowledge which he hides. You are wise. Be subtle and perhaps he will reveal more than he wishes."
 
Father Thurston entered through a side door. He feigned surprise at seeing Father Cicero. "Ah, I thought you long gone. Were you able to find our young physician?"
 
"Indeed, I was. He awaits outside. A most fortunate trip for me. I have not found what I sought, but I have nonetheless discovered a great treasure to accompany me home. I am optimistic that he may be able to help my friend." Cicero smiled, even as Leopold studied the face of Thurston for signs of deception.
 
Leopold smiled, but there was no mirth to be found in it. Did you overhear anything of interest, my friend? It appears not. "I'm hoping he doesn't entice our good doctor to remain. I understand there is a master baker in the village." 
 
"Well, I shall wish our good doctor a safe trip then." Thurston took leave of the two priests and was out the church door before they could react.
 
Valerius strode forward to greet him.
 
Thurstone whispered to him, "Listen, I will be quick. Watch your tongue around Cicero. He is in league with Leopold. They suspect the missing family to be in or near this village. I will warn the others." Thurston placed his arm on Valerius' shoulders and laughed heartily. "Now, you know you are needed here. A piece of pie should not be enough to turn your head, no matter the quality. We expect you back soon." Leopold shook his hand and made his way swiftly back to the church.
 
Thurston addressed Cicero, "He seems to have already heard rumor of fresh baked pie in your village. I trust a man of the cloth would not resort to such measures to ply him from his duties here." Thurston laughed heartily and Cicero joined him.
 
"Of course, no such thought has occurred to me. Now, if he happens, through no fault of my own, to take a liking to certain aspects of our fellowship, surely I can't be held accountable." They all laughed heartily at that. Somehow, Leopold continued to look disingenuous in the effort.
 

~~~~~~~~Thurston visits Abramus
 

Father Thurston found the baptism of Zacharias' and Belinda's baby a perfect opportunity to visit Abramus. The baptism would take Father Leopold some time with fellowship to follow. He took the carriage and made good time to the Abramus farm.
 
"It is Father Thurston and he comes in a hurry." Julia was at the window watching Florentina and Grenadier play.
 
Abramus rose to open the door. Cassius went out to tend to his horse and carriage. Thurston hurriedly greeted Cassius and strode quickly to the open door.
 
"I have news. I best just speak it outright. Leopold and Cicero suspect that Winslow and his family either are here or soon will be. Leopold is obsessed with demons and sees them in every corner. I believe they are not safe here. I fear that Julia and young Florentina are not either. Valerius is aware of this and forewarned as he travels with Cicero to his village." Father Thurston exhaled as though he had been holding his breath for a long time.
 
"I have begun to inform sympathetic ears in the village of our plight. But, as you know, there are many loyal to Leopold. He is in a position of great influence. Cassius, bring the children in. It is not safe for them out there. Grenadier mustn't be seen by passersby." Abramus showed some of the strain that had been weighing on him.
 
"I'd like to slit his throat and leave him in the forest." Cassius spoke and silence came over the room like a shroud.
 
"Murder is not the answer, son." Thurston seemed to speak with little conviction, as though it were his place to speak those words, whether he believed them or not.




 



Recognized


Wonderful feedback. I listen to every word and take it to heart. I often get excellent ideas from your thoughts and comments. The encouragement has been so appreciated. I apologize for my terrible record in responding to reviews. I'm buried and try to keep up with reviews first. I swear I read every word and appreciate your input more than you could possibly know. Thank you so very much.


List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.