General Fiction posted November 7, 2014 Chapters:  ...40 41 -42- 43... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Winslow's family being searched for. Grenadier has seizure.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Fugitive Hunt and a Seizure

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other.
Previously, Trellitia arrived at the house to report the conversation she overheard between Leopold and Thurston. The levels of concern rose accordingly as it appeared they would have to take a more aggressive stand to defend their loved ones. As the discussion continued, a family on the run from a nearby village showed up at the doorstep seeking the aid of Valerius for their son. Their son was deemed possessed and they fled in fear for his safety. We continue now as Leopold and Thurston have arrived back at the parish where they continue their argument. Visitors are about to arrive.



~~~~~~~~~~Visitors at the parish
 

"My friend, we have come far in these few years." Thurston paced in the priests private chambers. "We must reach an understanding between us. It serves not our parishioners for us to be at odds. We at least agree on the teachings of the Good Book and the sovereignty of the Christ. Demons and the like are cause for emotions and fervor. It has always been so. We cannot be given to them." I speak to a deaf man. Would that this statue of Peter be not mute.
 
Leopold smiled and answered with pious sanctimony. "Indeed, dear friend. I have no intention of allowing fervor to be the ruler of my views. It is our parishioners I place at the forefront of my concerns. I am not given to emotion concerning demons. I am given to their banishment from this village and from this earth." The question is why aren't you? "We see eye to eye on many things, Thurston. But this is something of grave importance. It can't be swept to the side. I have the backing of the church in these matters. I do not consider this lightly."
 
"Nor I, my friend, nor I. Not every fanciful child or disturbed individual is possessed by a demon. People are often beset by worry and great sadness. Why ... the child you speak of, you barely know. She is without a father and has lived in poverty under great hardship. Are her fears borne of some great evil demon that has possessed her, or---OR are they the simple terrors of a child who does not know where her next meal will come from, or where she might rest her head on a given night? Yes, we differ on this matter." He paused to consider the statue of Peter as though, at least, it might be listening.
 
Cervantes entered the room and sensed the tension. "Have I interrupted a private conversation? I offer my apologies." He turned as though to leave the room though he made no motion to do so. "I can have Father Cicero wait a moment. I will offer him some bread and coffee."
 
"No, we will continue our discussion later. I'm sure Father Cicero is anxious to see us. It is half a day's ride from his village. The bread and coffee sounds to my liking though. How about you, Father Thurston?" Leopold smiled at Thurston with a chilling genuineness.
 
Thurston recoiled from the look on Leopold's face slightly and recovered. "Yes … ah, yes … that would be fine."
 
Cervantes spoke softly to Leopold. "Father Cicero is accompanied by four soldiers, should I invite them in as well?"
 
"Why yes, of course. They are no doubt parched as well. What are you thinking, Cervantes? All are welcome in the Lord's house. Never mind, tend to the bread and tea. I will greet the soldiers." Leopold made his way to the parish entrance.
 
The soldiers were dismounted, waiting outside and drinking from their canteens when Leopold appeared at the front of the church. "Gentlemen, forgive my young apprentice. Won't you come in out of the heat? We have fresh baked bread and tea, you are most welcome." Leopold smiled.
 
The priests and soldiers enjoyed the refreshments. They engaged in conversation concerning the weather and the growth of each other's villages. At the appropriate time, Father Thurston stood to address Father Cicero.
 
"Father Cicero, what brings you to our parish accompanied by armed guard?" he smiled while he nodded towards the soldiers.
 
"I'm afraid it is not as dramatic as it appears. The soldiers were recommended by Father Rastavius as protection on the road. There are demons growing in number and given to attacking the clergy, he alleges. I think nothing of it, but he insists." Cicero smiled.
 
"I see, caution is the sensible thing in these matters. Rastavius is not given to overreaction." Leopold made it a point to catch Thurston's eye, insuring he caught the meaning of his remark.
 
"Indeed", Thurston remarked in acknowledgement of Leopold having spoken, but without acknowledging the truth of what he spoke. "What, then, is the purpose of your visit? Surely, not simply for our delicious bread."
 
"One of my parishioners is missing. Well, his entire family is missing. They are prominent members of our village. I was treating his son who has been determined by the church to be demon possessed. I fear they have foolishly fled to spare him treatment which may have appeared harsh to them. I don't need to tell you of the danger they have placed themselves, and anyone they encounter, in." Cicero looked directly at Father Leopold as though he knew that a sympathetic ear was listening.
 
Leopold stood with a solemn air about him. "The foolishness of it all. They run from those that would help them into the unknown. No doubt they will find danger, for what else is there to find when running from the outstretched arms of the Lord? I have not heard of anyone having contact with these people. I know whom they would seek though, if they came to our village. The physician, Valerius, seems to think he can drive away a demon with a few herbs and a fanciful tune. His reputation spreads. It is a good chance that they would seek his aid. We will be watchful on your behalf."
 
"I am pleased to hear that. Valerius, you say. One of the older priests is stricken with endless pain in his limbs. It makes it difficult for him to call on villagers. It has left him a recluse at the parish. We have no physician. If you have the ear of this young doctor, perhaps you will mention it." Cicero looked hopeful.
 
Thurston answered, "He is a fine young man as well as a skilled physician. I'm sure he will see his way clear to pay a visit before long."
 

~~~~~~~~A seizure strikes Grenadier
 

Winslow and his family ate heartily of the stew and freshly baked bread. They had clearly not eaten a good meal in some time. Noreen was near the age of Florentina and they made fast friends. Winslow's wife Adeline helped serve some of the food, but Julia insisted she sit and eat with her family. Grenadier seemed to calm down from his earlier state. He ate his food, conversed a little with his own family, and acknowledged the others in the house shyly. He continued to interact periodically with entities that no one else could see including Julia and Florentina.
 
Julia sat by him and began to converse with him quietly. "What is it you see, Grenadier? Is it people?"
 
Grenadier nodded his head up and down indicating, yes. He said, "They are friends mostly, but there are strangers too who are mean to me. They tell me what to do. It seems wrong, but I am afraid I will get in trouble if I don't do what they tell me to do. I'm in trouble with my father, you see, when I don't do as he says."
 
Julia smiled. "I know what you mean. I see whole armies sometimes. Not another soul sees them but me. Can you imagine what they think?" They both giggled at that.
 
Winslow and Adeline both looked up at the sound of Grenadier laughing. It occurred to them both; it had been a long time since they had heard him laugh.
 
In the middle of Grenadier's conversation with Julia, his arms curled up towards his shoulders and his mouth became crooked. His head leaned to the right and became rigid. Seconds later, he slipped from the chair and began shaking on the floor. He made a plaintive noise as though he were trying to form a word but couldn't do it. It sounded strained and frantic. Winslow and his family were familiar with what was happening to him. No one else there was.
 
Winslow rushed to his aid. "There is nothing to do. Give him room. Move this table so he doesn't hurt his leg on it. It will cease in a few moments time. He'll be okay."
 
Valerius kneeled down by the boy with a pillow and placed it under his head. "Lourdes, fetch my bag and boil some water. I'll need a few clean rags as well. A bowl also, of water when it has boiled. Everyone go about your business. As Winslow says, there is nothing to be done. He will be fine."
 
Florentina stood with her mouth open as though she were screaming, but not a peep came out. Julia rushed to her side. "It's okay dear. It's just a spell he's having. He'll be just fine. His father says this happens to him from time to time. The Doctor will help him."
 
Valerius overheard Julia refer to himself as, "The Doctor". It made him feel proud, but, at the same time, he felt a weight suddenly press down on his shoulders.




 



Recognized


Wonderful feedback. I listen to every word and take it to heart. I often get excellent ideas from your thoughts and comments. The encouragement has been so appreciated. I apologize for my terrible record in responding to reviews. I'm buried and try to keep up with reviews first. I swear I read every word and appreciate your input more than you could possibly know. Thank you so very much.


List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.