General Non-Fiction posted November 5, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Just a few precious memories of Penny

Penny Our First Born

by patcelaw


God planted another rose in my garden the day Penny was born.

Penny Our First Born

Penny  was born on Christmas Day 1960. She arrived about 10 days before she was due.  As a child I didn't like to play with dolls.  But, that Christmas Day I was presented with a lovely doll, a real live doll. Penny was always a good baby. By the time she was two weeks old she was sleeping most of the night.

When we brought her home from the hospital, we were living in a home with hardwood floors. I would feed and change Penny's diaper and put her down in the crib.  When I would walk out of the room, she would begin to cry.  I would start walking back to her, and she would stop crying.  I checked her and made sure she was indeed okay.  Then walk out of the room.  Again in just a couple of minutes she would start to cry. As I would start back into her room, she would stop crying. Finally, I figured out she was hearing me walk away from the room and walking back into the room, so even though she was only a little over a week old she was pulling mom's strings.  Knowing she was fed, and changed, I began to let her cry. After a short time she had figured out mommy was not going to be subject to her every whim.

Penny sucked her thumb for about six months and then on her own quit sucking her thumb.

When she was about 3 years of age, we were teaching her to say her name and address. I would say to her, "Penny, say my name is Penny Celeste Lawrence."
In her little voice she would say, "My name is Penny Celeste Lawrence."
Then I would say our address. She would repeat the address.  Then when all that was done she said, "Amen."

One time she got hold of a bottle of my favorite perfume and dumped the entire contents on our bed. What a mighty perfumed house we had for days.

One morning before we woke, she had gotten into the cabinet and wanted to make cream of wheat. She spilled the cream of wheat on the counters and the floor. She knew she had made a mess and tried to clean it up with a wet towel. The kitchen was a mess and it took me several hours to clean the mess she had made.

When Penny started first grade, her teacher asked me to come to the school for a parent teacher talk. The teacher said she was worried about Penny. I asked her why and she said, she thought Penny was an abused child because she was just too good. I assured the teacher she was never abused, she was just doing as I had told her to do. To respect her teacher, and others. She was to do her job of working hard at school to learn, just as it was her daddy's job to work for the money we needed, and it was my job to care for our home.

When she was about 3 she came and said, "mommy can I have a slice of toats?"

I said, "Penny, its toast."

Again she said, "Mommy can I have a slice of toats?'

I reminded her it was toast.

She replied very thoughtfully, "Oh, Mommy can I have a slice of cooked bread?'

These are just a few of the precious memories I have of things Penny did. Of course there are many more stories of her life that I could tell, but I don't want to take up too much of your time.


******************************************************************************************************************************************************
Here is a story about being in the hospital on Christmas day, both part touching on Penny's life..

Being In The Hospital On Christmas Day

To be in the hospital on Christmas Day is hard, but I have been there two times, once when my oldest daughter was born on Christmas day, so it was a joyful day that day.
The second time,  my daughter was 16 years old. I was in a heart unit.

There were to be no children under the age of 12, but the nursing staff, allowed my husband to bring in all three girls Penny 16, Pam 13 and Patty not yet 12.

It was a funny sight when they came into the room. They brought me a mini Christmas tree decorated with tiny balls and some icicles. There could be no lights.

I had the gifts for Christmas all wrapped before I had to go to the hospital, so each of the girls had a large black plastic bag over their shoulders with the gifts.

Since Penny was 16 that day, we wanted a cake to celebrate her birthday. My husband found a drug store that was open, but they didn't have cakes, so he got a package of two Hostess cupcakes.  He also got a package of candles for the cakes.

We put a candle in the cakes, but could not light them. We sang happy birthday to Penny, then divided the cakes in half, each girl got half a cake and my husband and I split the final half.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Born On Christmas Day

She was born on Christmas day
And I would not have it any other way.  
For she was my gift from God above
 Who gave me her, so I could love.

I could love her dearly each day,
As she grew up and I’d pray.
I’d pray she would be very good,
And grow into the fine lady she should.

Growing as a lady of whom I have pride,
And my love for her I cannot hide.
Her name is Penny Celeste,
And I know God gave me the best.

She was born on Christmas day
And I still would have it no other way.

Happy Birthday Penny Celeste,
Mom Loves you.



 




The word toats is intended as that is how Penny had said toast.
The photo is of my all grown up Penny, a lovely woman and a credit to her parents. She works as A CPA in Phoenix AZ, The man in the photo is her dance instructor.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.