General Fiction posted November 5, 2014 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Trellitia reveals Leopold's fanaticism.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Forces Start To Muster

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other.
Previously, Romance bloomed as the stakes grew. Leopold and Thurston drew lines in the sand. The natural attraction between couples could no longer be denied especially between Julia and Valerius who are soulmates and have been for thousands of years. Abramus is pleased to see his children find possible mates and feels renewed. In spite of the turmoil of recent events, there is joy in the air. We continue now as Trellitia is observed approaching hurridly down the trail with a story to tell.











~~~~~~~Trellitia's tells what she's overheard
 

Cassius introduced Lourdes and Trellitia. "The good Doctor's teacher, may I present the good Doctor's new assistant, Lourdes." Cassius bowed formally to Trellitia.
 
Though clearly in a hurry, she had seen the two of them together in the garden and it brought her pleasure to see a happy young Cassius. "She is lovely. A fine new friend for you as well, if my old eyes are not playing tricks."
 
"They do not deceive. She is that and more." Cassius could not contain his joy.
 
Lourdes curtsied respectfully. "My pleasure. I have heard grand tales of your expertise."
 
"Exaggerated to humor an old widow I am sure." She smiled not quite fully. "I come on a matter of some urgency. Valerius and Julia need to be warned and I am sorry to say, you do as well. It is not a pleasant meeting, as I would wish, but a meeting born of urgency. Let us to the house then. Is Valerius inside?"
 
Cassius began to smile, but caught himself. "Ma'am, Valerius is nearby with Julia. The two of you go inside and I will fetch him. Abramus tends to Florentina inside. I will return shortly with the two of them."
 
As the two woman strode towards the house, Cassius ran to the woods where he surmised he would find his sister and Valerius as well.
 
Cassius snuck up on Valerius and Julia who were kissing. "A new therapy, I see. I believe it seems to be having a positive affect too. The patient seems to have a healthy blush to her cheeks and…." Cassius had to dodge the swift blow from Julia who was mildly amused and mildly perturbed at the same time.
 
"Ah, you misunderstand, Cassius, your sister had something in her eye that I ... was ... um, inspecting. I believe I have successfully removed it. What brings you here on the run and what have you done with my assistant? It is but here first day on the job." Valerius had a blush to his cheeks as well. His wit partially covered his embarrassment at being discovered in less than a professional repose.
 
Cassius furrowed his brow. "Trellitia summons us all to the house. A matter of great concern, as she explains it. I have come to fetch you at her request."
 
The three of them made their way to the house. Valerius and Julia were painfully aware of each other's presence and found it difficult to avoid brushing each other's arm and leg as they walked. Each touch produced sparks that they could feel and were not certain others couldn't see them.
 
Finally, all were assembled in the house. Trellitia wasted no time. "I heard an incredible argument by the creek that leads to my home not more than thirty minutes ago. Father Thurston and that crazed fool Leopold sounded like soldiers gone to battle. Thurston surprised me with his tenacity. Likewise, Leopold has reached a resolve I scarce dreamed he had within him. He is not the man I have known these many years. He is the image of Rastavius whom you are well aware of Abramus."
 
Abramus took on a grave countenance. "I recall the days of his troubles with your husband, Bartholomew, Lady Trellitia. A young Gregorio was most helpful an aid as I recall. Your husband had the ear of the military though. It proved to be a great asset."
 
Trellitia nodded and looked away. "It proved to be his undoing as well though for different reasons. Rastavius held his rancor within though and brought peril to me for some time. Greater matters took his attention blessedly from concern about my wellbeing or lack thereof. The old witch of the forest came to be forgotten by him. I fear it may not be the case now that the young doctor here is my apprentice. He thirsts for demons and believes he has found them in Julia and in your sweet young daughter, Lourdes."
 
"But, it is absurd! She is but a child. He knows her not having met her but on the road and briefly here at the house. Why the notion is folly, it is an absur…." Lourdes was not pleased to say the least.
 
Trellitia cut her off mid-sentence. "My apologies. I do not claim sense to his yearnings and accusations. But, we cannot turn our heads to them. Fervor is a powerful force. It is loud and gains ears. Sense may come softly on a whispered notion, but self-righteousness screams from a mountain top into a canyon." She paused and looked around the room solemnly. "And it echoes."
 
Abramus stood with a snap to his personage unseen in many years. "The village leaders must be apprised of this development. We must be cautious. There are many a sympathetic ear long acquainted with Leopold. I, myself, may have been so inclined not long ago. Start with your father, Valerius. He is strong in influence. Be discreet. Leopold must not get wind of opposition. All must appear as it is now. It is clear any sensible approach we have discussed is of little consequence. Leopold's mind is set."
 

~~~~~~~Strangers approach the house
 

Cassius looked out the window and announced to those gathered. "A stranger comes down the lane. A man and his family it appears. They are unknown to me. They appear to be farmers such as we. Shall I go forth to greet them?"
 
Abramus thought for a moment. "No, observe as they approach in a subtle manner. They will make their intent known at our doorstep."
 
Julia looked out as well. "There son is beset with visions. He is bound and guided by his mother. You see, Brother. He speaks to the air and gestures wildly. Interesting. Is this how I appear to you? You are a fine brother indeed." She took his arm and rested her head on his shoulder.
 
Cassius raised his hand to her head. "You are much more interesting, Julia."
 
She looked up and they shared a smile as they waited for the family to arrive.
 
Cassius opened the door as they approached. "Greetings. To what do we owe the pleasure of your company?"
 
"We come by way of Father Thurston of the parish. We are from the village nearby. Our son is beset with delusions. We are cast out of our village accused of demon possession. We fled to save our son. The physician Valerius is said to be visiting here. I am Winslow."
 
"I am Valerius. I am whom you seek. This is not my home, however. I will be pleased to see you to…."
 
Abramus strode forward with his hand outstretched. "I am Abramus, this is my home in which you are most welcome. You must be weary from your journey. Please sit and rest. There is time to meet your new friends. I am sorry for your troubles. You will find a sympathetic ear in my home."
 
Winslow exhaled in gratitude and relief. "Thank you for your kindness, sir. This is my wife, Adeline, my daughter, Noreen and my son, Grenadier. He is a bit indisposed at the moment. It comes and goes. I hope you understand." He looked around anxiously.
 
Cassius smiled. "We understand perfectly. Some tea for everyone? Perhaps a stout ale for your sir. The dust of the road leaves a throat parched, yes?"
 
Trellitia smiled. "I feel the spirit of my Bartholomew here and he is pleased. This is just the kind of gathering that brought out the best in him." She raised her glass. "May it bring out the best in us all." All raised their glasses in agreement including the newcomers who, at the very least, had cause to celebrate something.




 



Recognized


I love this story. I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.