General Fiction posted November 2, 2014 Chapters:  ...38 39 -40- 41... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Feelings come to the surface.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Romance Within The Storm

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other.
Previously, Leopold and Thurston argued by the creek. Thurston came to realize that Leopold was more fanatical in his beliefs than he had first imagined. The mood in the Abramus house was one of relief. We continue now as the tension has died down and private conversations take place. Abramus walks around his home while Florentina naps. He observes his son and daughter as they converse with their new friends.



~~~~~~~Abramus ponders the afternoon
 

As though the emotions of the afternoon needed to be cooled gradually by the setting of the sun, the people in the home of Abramus split off to discuss the events of the day among themselves in private. Cassius and Lourdes went to tour the vegetable garden at the urging of Florentina. Abramus covered a weary Florentina with a quilt his wife had made for his own Julia many years ago.
 
Abramus missed his wife. The sight of Florentina sleeping peacefully under the worn but still beautiful quilt sent his mind back to a time when joy existed in his home unfettered by the complications that had invaded his world today. He remembered his wife, Victoria …
 
"She dreams so fitfully, darling. What could possibly be going on that sweet little head?" Abramus could still hear her voice in his mind as he closed his eyes and listened.
 
Victoria and Abramus married young, even for the times, but never had a moments regret pass between them. The fever that took her came suddenly and spared the rest of the family. Julia had been the rock of the family during that awful time. She had quelled the fears of her mother as she spoke quietly to her on her deathbed. Julia spoke of life that flowed into the past and then into the future. Julia was but ten years old at the time of her mother's passing.
 
Abramus walked around his home, empty but for the sleeping child. Oh, Victoria, how I miss you still. Our little girl is under the terrible eye of Father Leopold. He is possessed of foolishness … demons. It is he who has the demon's eye. What am I to do, my love? He walked into the kitchen where she spent many an afternoon baking and cooking for him and their children. Tears welled up in his eyes. These were tears that he would only share with her. Yes, yes my darling. I will protect her as you wish. You needn't worry. He walked to the window and smiled as Julia and Valerius strolled towards the forest engaged in conversation. Off in the vegetable garden Lourdes and Cassius were laughing together as they walked arm in arm. Nothing will interfere with the happiness of our children, Victoria, nothing.

 
~~~~~~~~Cassius and Lourdes stroll in the vegetable garden
 

Cassius had never felt like this before. "Florentina was wise. This is a nice walk here to enjoy the fruits of what I usually only toil at. It is nice to see that my hard work is rewarded by the Earth in such a bounty." How lovely it is to share it with you. He smiled at Lourdes as she reached for a plum.
 
"May I have one?" Lourdes looked to Cassius, her eyes filled with love.
 
Cassius bent forward and kissed her. He had never kissed a woman in this fashion before. His ability to speak was lost for the moment.
 
Lourdes thrilled to the touch of his lips far more then she expected she would. "I will take that as a yes."
 
Cassius smiled and took her hand. They walked along together sharing everything without the hindrance of words.
 
Abramus smiled from his window. Perhaps our family is growing, Victoria. Cassius is becoming a fine man, just as you told me he would. Is he really so much like me? I may finally take that as words well meant.
 

~~~~~~~Valerius and Julia converse in the forest
 

”You were wonderful today, Valerius. You knew just when to come to my rescue. Do you finally remember beyond this short time we have spent here in this village?" Julia walked with a grace uncommon to peasants. The hardships of poverty and back breaking labor found no evidence anywhere in her persona.
 
"I only know what I see before me and what is in my mind. I know too, what I believe is real. When you speak, I know you speak of events that have occurred and I know that I have been there and shared them with you." Valerius walked towards a tall tree and placed his hand against the trunk as if looking for support. "I know this for I have embraced you and been astonished by the effect of it." Am I revealing too much? How do I withhold my every thought and speak to her honestly?
 
"I see through my eyes alone. I have come to know with your guidance that, perhaps, I see what no one else sees. Young Florentina sees a spirit that is her father watching over her. It is different, you understand, it is all in the here and now, as are you. How do I make you understand that you have lived what you have lived. It is much like convincing you that you stand now by a tree with your hand on it. You have embraced me, yes, and I you. But, Valerius, I have embraced you countless times. I have embraced you until I scarcely know where I end and you begin." Julia did not look away. She looked directly at Valerius with eyes that pierced without wavering. There was no hesitation or doubt within them.
 
"I am living this life, Julia. I know no other. In this life, I am a physician with an oath to my patients … an oath to you. How do I tell one that I attempt to heal that I love her beyond my comprehension. How do I betray an oath that defines who I am? How do…."
 
Julia walked to him and placed her hand on his shoulder. The fire of her touch flowed through him. "I am not your patient. I am not ill. You are not my doctor. Your oath is to me as my friend. Of all the words that pass between people, that is the strongest, Valerius. Friend. It requires nothing, it gives everything. Whatever passes between us in this lifetime is but a part of what we carry between us for all lifetimes."
 
She removed her hand and walked a few paces away. Valerius removed his hand from the tree and followed her with his eyes.
 
She continued, "I don't pretend to have answers or understanding. I only speak to what is in my heart and mind. I love you and the people in my life, my father and mother, Cassius, Lourdes and her daughter. I love people I see at a distance even. I see them from another time. It can be confusing and was terribly so when I was younger. I disappoint people so. I … I…."
 
Valerius rushed to her as tears formed in her eyes. "You do not need to be strong every moment of your life, Julia." He embraced her. "Feel the strength in my arms. Feel what you call my friendship. Feel this love and fall into it. I will protect you always. You may cry. You may be confused. You may live this life, Julia. This is the life you are living now. When a new life presents itself, then live that life. If you have lived other lives, they are already lived. They are not for you to live again. You are here."
 
Valerius brushed a tear from Julia's cheek and she smiled. He leaned forward and kissed her. In that moment their souls finally touched. For the first time he realized that this love had grown from more than just a single lifetime.
 
Abramus looked from his window to the edge of the forest in the distance. He saw his daughter in the arms of the young doctor, Valerius. He was a man that Abramus had come to respect. Abramus had tears in his eyes. Look Victoria. It is just as you said it would be. A man as special as Valerius would one day find her. You always put my heart at ease. You are right once again, my darling.
 

~~~~~~~Trellitia watches the two priests leave
 

Trellitia had heard every word of the conversation between Leopold and Thurston. She had almost announced her presence when she caught the tone of discord in their conversation. Once she was certain they were out of sight, she headed for the house of Abramus where Valerius had told her he would be that afternoon.
 

~~~~~~~Cassius and Lourdes greet Trellitia
 

Cassius looked down the road and saw Trellitia walked hurriedly towards the house. He released his embrace of Lourdes. "There is someone for you to meet, a good friend." He gestured towards the road. The two of them went to greet Trellitia.




 



Recognized


I love this story. I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.



The story takes place about 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.