General Fiction posted October 29, 2014 Chapters:  ...36 37 -38- 39... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Leopold continues to dig for information. He is more zealous

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Leopold Attacks, Julia Responds.

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates meet as humans in many lifetimes unaware of their connection. In spite of often times impossible circumstances they are drawn to each other.
Previously, Father Leopold was able to garner information from Florentina by seperating her from Valerius. She innocently told him about her visions of wolves not realizing she was being tricked. The conversations continued inside, as Leopold dug for information and everyone tried to thwart him. We continue now, as the supper party continues along the same lines. Leopold tries to direct the conversation towards the activities of Julia.




~~~~~~~~The supper conversation continues
 

"Ah, how lovely. All of God's creatures are worthy of our attention. He smiles on those who care for them. Your sister was a big help to you I understand." Leopold could barely contain the inquisitor's stare.
 
Cassius flinched under the scrutiny of Leopold's stare. He didn't avert his eyes. "Yes, she proved most helpful to me. The doctor tells me her levelheaded thinking kept me from further damaging my leg. My instinct told me to drag myself home any which way. She calmed me and fetched Father's assistance."
 
"Yes, most fortuitous indeed. What brought the two of you to the forest that day?" He spoke as though he were a barrister before a council. Were he to pace before Cassius and turn to the others in the room, the courtroom picture would be complete.
 
The room had grown suspiciously still as eyes and ears drifted towards the conversation between the two. Julia tapped her foot like a mother at wits end over a petulant child. Florentina made no attempt to cover the look of fear that brought a pallor to her face.
 
Valerius scooped Florentina up from behind who squealed with surprise. "I thought you were fixing these weary travelers a feast of mutton stew. You appear to be frozen to the ground. Have your feet come to be trapped in a bog which prevents your movement. Let me help you!" He swung her high in the air.
 
Florentina giggled and gasped for air. "Mother! Some beast of the forest has hold of me. Help!"
 
"I'm afraid I am a slave to the stewpot, little one. You will have to fend it off as best you can. I fear the other beasts, should I not bring the stew in a timely manner." Lourdes wisely joined in the merriment.
 
Julia snapped out of her mood as well. "I'll not risk life and limb against such a hideous beast. Why, look at the drooling jowls of it. I will help with the stew. You are such a small morsel, perhaps a large bowl of it might be bartered for your release."
 
Valerius set the girl down and sniffed at the air. "Aaaaahhhh! They boil the flesh of a comely beast. Perhaps I shall be patient after all."
 
Florentina rushed to her mother's arms. "Mother, I can't believe you would tend to the stew while the beast would eat me alive." She giggled and shook from the fun of it all.
 
Lourdes laughed. "Do you not see the real beasts that fill this room? Do you not sense the hunger building in them? I have chosen the safer course in the long run. You will learn of men when you are older."
 
With that, the room burst into laughter. Only Leopold pretended merriment.
 
Julia and Lourdes managed to produce a respectable stew and began to serve it. The conversations concerned minor matters of little importance.
 
Father Thurston inquired of Father Leopold. "What news of the big city? Was the Bishop pleased with our offering?"
 
"He was indeed. The church remains ever vigilant. These are trying times of war, as everyone knows. A great darkness invades the land. The evil one is clever and his minions seek the weak and the innocent. I consulted with Rastavius on my recent visit and assisted him with a young woman besot with demons. A very sad case indeed. But the Lord was strong and prevailed. The demon fled and her soul was freed to live in glory. Rastavius is old, but his will in the Lord is strong." Leopold clearly enjoyed the attention that his words brought to himself.
 
"The woman died by the blade of a knife did she not?" Valerius smiled pleasently as though he had mentioned a summer shower that had passed. His voice sounded like a robin's song carried on the breeze.
 
"Sadly, the demon was strong in the powers of evil and there was no other path to salvation. These are the choices the Lord asks of us. It is not always an easy task to do his bidding." If retribution were a color, then his eyes were that color as he fixed his gaze upon Valerius.
 
With eyes fixed in resolve, Valerius responded. "Sad, that the Lord required what most would see as an act of murder as the only alternative for her salvation."
 
"But, glorious is her eternal life in communion with our Lord. The tortured life as a vessel for Satan's spawn finally ended and supplicated with everlasting peace." Leopold's face attempted piety, but it could not be found within the evil that covered it.
 
"Still, sad that her life of service here was cut short." Father Thurston had not shone this determined side of his demeanor before. He lowered his head and looked beneath his furrowed brow with determination.
 
Leopold hesitated for a moment no doubt having not seen it himself. "True, it is not a happy thing for those left behind. Such is death. It is human for us to grieve and ponder the loss of this shell we call life. In comparison to eternal glory, this is but a blink of God's all seeing eye." He returned Thurston's glare with one of his own. He rose from his chair and approached the window. "A lovely day the Lord has made."
 
Thurston rose as well and approached him. He whispered to Leopold, "perhaps such talk is too disturbing for the parishioners. Might it not be for a private discourse?"
 
"No, I think not. The Bishop made himself clear that we are to step to the task of our parish. It is up to us the priests of this village to protect the villagers." Leopold spoke softly, but loudly enough for all to hear.
 
"There is no danger in our parish, it is peaceful." Thurston also spoke loudly enough for all to hear.
 
Leopold turned to address everyone. "The Bishop was clear in his instructions to me. The priests of our parish are charged with the safety of our own. The church backs us in this regard with military might if need be. We must be steadfast. The Devil knows no loyalty. Even those that serve the Lord have been targets of his vile evil. The Bishop spoke of a priest not a half day's ride from here that had become possessed of the very demon he attempted to expel. No, it is clear that we must be strong. No stone unturned in our vigilance." He looked at Julia directly as he spoke his last line.
 
Leopold fabricated the story of the priest. Thurston had a good idea that such was the case. The others couldn't be sure. All were surprised by the aggressive stance of Leopold. His leanings were no secret, but for him to come forth with such an aggressive display was unheard of even for him.
 
"A priest possessed by demons, you say?" Julia spoke forcefully. "That is a terrifying thought. Can anyone imagine the power that he would possess? A man welcomed without question into others homes?" Julia did not look directly at Father Leopold as she spoke, but she made it a point to walk near him as though he was the topic of discussion. "Think of it. A man respected and confided in, who anyone would be proud to have at their supper table, all the while plotting the work of Satan himself. What would you do in such a case, Father Leopold?" She turned and looked Leopold directly in the eye. The certainty of her gaze was chilling even to her own father. The power that emanated from her eyes struck Leopold momentarily speechless.
 



 



Recognized



Wonderful insightful feedback and excellent suggestions. Thank you so much.

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.



The story takes place about 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.