Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 28, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Continuing love story.

Love story part two of 4 parts

by patcelaw


Last chapter ending paragraph
Pat told me that the next morning when she came out of her room for breakfast, that she went to her aunt and said, good morning, good morning, morning, morning, morning. I don't know how long she kept saying the good mornings but from the kissing the night before it could have been a long while.












We went out more after that, going many places and we especially loved the mountains. We enjoyed going where it was quiet and we were able to talk. We went to a lovely place in the Angeles National Forest near Chilao. The view of the sunset was beautiful from that spot. There was a valley between the mountains which allowed us to have a beautiful view of the sun as the it dipped below the horizon. There was always a beautiful sunset from this vantage point.

After dating for three weeks when we returned from an evening out to dinner, I parked the car close to the Pugh's home. It was there that Pat said she had something very important to share with me. She proceeded to tell me that about nine months before she had given birth to a baby boy and had given him up for adoption. She had wanted to keep the baby, but because of the negative attitude of her family, who wanted her to have an abortion, she had chosen to have her child and give him up for adoption. She said she had to ask at nineteen what an abortion was. When she found out she refused to have an abortion. Instead she chose to go to the Salvation Army Home in St. Louis, Missouri where she went through the last 2 months of her pregnancy.
I was stunned by what she revealed to me that night an took her home immediately. This was something which I would have to think about. I thought about it all night and called her the next morning to see if I could come see her. When I arrived at her place I took her to a lovely spot in Santa Anita Canyon and found a very pretty spot to park. I told her I didn't care what had happened to her in the past, what was important to me was what she could be for me then and in my future. I came very close to asking her to marry me at that point, but decided I needed to get to know her better.

After she told me about her son we were much more relaxed with each other. We went many places, Marineland, Disneyland and Knott's Berry farm. All these were places which were fun, but only places to spend our money. However, one place we went was different. We went to Forest Lawn, in Glendale California, which was a much more serious kind of attraction. There was a building which has a beautiful stained glass window of the Last Supper. This building looked like a chapel and there was a lecture that told us the story of the window and how the window came about.

In another of the buildings there was a depiction of the Crucifixion, that covered one whole wall. The seating in this building was more like an auditorium. There was a recording with a lecture telling the story of the painting. Forest Lawn has other cemeteries in other cities in Southern California, with works of art as well, but not as well know as the Last Supper and the Crucifixion.

On October 18, 1958 Pat and I had been on a date. As I was taking her home, we stopped beside the road near the Pugh's home. We sometimes stopped here to say our goodnights before I took her home. I looked at her and said, "Pat, will you marry me?"
Almost instantly she said, "Oh, yes, of course I will marry you!"
Wow!! What a wonderful feeling that was for me.

The next day I picked Pat up and took her to Alhambra to visit a jewelry store. There she picked out a beautiful engagement and wedding ring set in white gold. On the way back to my house I stopped the car alongside the road on Longden Ave, near where I lived. I got down on one knee and placed the engagement ring on the proper finger. We then stopped at my parents home to see if my mother would approve of the rock. She was in her rock shop (she was a lapidarist) and she asked what we had been doing. We said we had been looking at rocks, and then showed her the ring. She liked the ring and welcomed Pat into the Lawrence family.

Our next stop was to the Pugh's home to show them the rock as well. Aunt Thelma approved of the ring and our engagement. At one time she had questioned my intentions when I would keep Pat out far too late. It was good that finally I could prove to her that my intentions were honorable. I was welcomed into their family, just as Pat had been welcomed into my family.

One evening when we were headed to the mountains to watch the sunset, suddenly Pat stopped talking to me. I was planning on taking us to our favorite spot in the mountains. I kept trying to find out from her why she wasn't talking and she said nothing was the matter. On the road up, there was a ranger station called Red Box where we could stop to go to the restrooms. After we went to the restrooms, I asked her if she wanted to go back down the mountain or to our favorite spot. She just said what ever you want to do is fine. So I continued up the highway to Chilao Flats to watch the sunset.

All the way up the mountain I couldn't figure out what I had done to warrant this kind of attitude. After we parked I again tried to find out what was troubling her.

She said, "I don't think you love me and with that she took the ring from her finger and threw it on the dashboard of my car. I had been jilted about five years before and this hurt me very badly, and I began to cry. She let me cry for a bit, then said she wanted to find out how angry I would get. I told her I was going to show her how angry I could get and pulled her across my knee and gave her a good spanking. Even though this experience was painful for both of us, she had learned how angry I could get.

She had grown up in a very abusive home where her father was mean to her mother and the children. She just wanted to know that I would not be abusive and what was the limit I could be pushed.

 




In the photo Wayne and I were paying attention to the napkin. We did not know my Aunt Thelma had put our names on the napkins.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.