General Fiction posted October 27, 2014 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 38... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Plans are made, Leopold arrives unexpectedly.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

A Friendly Gathering

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates encounter each other on earth in various lifetimes. Though circumstances are often near impossible, they are nonetheless drawn to each other. They are unaware of their connection.
Previously, Leopold meets with the Bishop and discusses demon possession and receives backing from the church of sorts. He also receives unofficial sanctions to act on his own. We meet a young priest, Cervantes, who seems enamored of Leopold and his ways. Romance has bloomed betweeen Cassius and Lourdes. Cassius and Florentina are comfortable as they walk in the garden and enjoy each other's company. We continue now as everyone has reassembled at the house and discussion resumes regarding the safety of Julia and Florentina.



~~~~~~~All assembled in the Abramus household
 

With all parties in attendance, the time for planning in earnest had come. 

Valerius took the floor. "I want to make it clear that I am not proposing what is just or what is correct. I am proposing what is necessary. The lives of Julia and Florentina are at stake. The lives of all of us may be at stake as well. Father Leopold seeks evidence, isn't that right, Father Thurston?"
 
"Yes. That is exactly right. We have discretion, of course, in our own parish, but it is expected that evidence is gathered and presented to the council at the church in Constantinople. In my experience, the so-called evidence is to explain what has already been acted upon. The main church is just as likely to exonerate a parishioner, as it is to recommend prayer and expulsion of a demon. Exorcism is rare in the main church. It is more common in a village like this." Father Thurston noted the solemn eyes fixed on his every word.
 
Florentina squirmed in the arms of her mother. "What is exorcism, Father?"
 
"Well, it is a ceremony or a process by which an unclean spirit or a demon that possesses an individual is driven out of that person through the power of prayer and the commands of Christ, the Holy Spirit and God, Himself. It is only performed after… " He could see that his complicated answer was having no impact on the young girl. "Well, to put it simply, a priest tries to drive a demon out of a human that is possessed by it."
 
Valerius took charge as he could see that none of this mattered at the moment. "For now, we need to make an immediate plan. These details can be filled in later. As the good Father has pointed out, we don't want to give Leopold evidence. Simply put, that means that you, Julia, should not speak of or display any inkling that you have or are having visions of anything that others cannot see. It means that you, Florentina, should not mention the wolves in the pathway. If needs be, you may signal one of us that they are there and we will protect you… "
 
"I don't need protection. They are here to protect me. I am not afraid of them anymore. My father sends them. I will remain silent about them if you wish."
 
"Good. You may speak of them amongst us, but not around villagers or Father Leopold."
 
"Yes, I understand." Florentina seemed to understand at least what she should do. Whether she understood the reason or not, was another matter.
 
"Valerius, that is fine for her, she has but the one vision. I see worlds constantly around me. I find it difficult to know what is from another time and what is from this time that everyone sees. I recognize the people I know, most villagers, the clergy that I have met and of course my family and friends in this room." Julia became somewhat distraught. "I'm shunned by all in the village. They look upon me as something to be feared and speak of me in hushed tones. I hate going near any of them. It is only here with my family and you that I am at ease. Even you find me strange. All of you. Even you, Father, find need to explain me." She had tears in her eyes.
 
Valerius rushed to her side and embraced her.
 
She spoke softly. "Am I to perform now like a fool in a show? What would you have me do?"
 
"No, Julia. Not a fool. Not a show. I only ask that you cease to speak of those things that others do not see. There is no point in any case. They lack the vision to see; therefore what are they able to say? Nothing. They are able to say nothing. Speak about what THEY can see. What else are they able to speak of. In doing so, you will be safe. And please, whatever a person was in another life, they are not them now. Save those thoughts to share with us."
 
"Very well. I do understand. I even see the sense of it. I will do what I…."
 
The sound of a carriage brought silence to the room.
 
Abramus looked through the window and turned to those assembled. "It is Leopold. He is alone."
 
"Cassius and Lourdes to the kitchen. Julia, you join them. Make as though you are preparing for our get together. Everyone enjoy each other's company. This is a simple social afternoon." Valerius was steely eyed. Everyone moved quickly in response.
 
Father Thurston sat by the hearth by Abramus. Valerius bent down to Florentina and spoke. "Let's go for a little walk."
 
"Very well." Florentina smiled and took his arm and they walked out the door.
 
Father Leopold came upon the two of them shortly thereafter. They both waved to him with big smiles and approached his carriage.
 
Valerius spoke. "Ah, Leopold. How fortuitous. We are planning a bit of supper perhaps. Father Thurston stopped by to pay a visit to Cassius who was injured. I hope your schedule will allow you some time to socialize. We seem to be drawing quite the crowd. I am here to introduce my assistant, as you know. I believe you have met Florentina here."
 
"Why yes. The young lass that chases wolves. Hello, my dear." Leopold made a poor attempt to be charming. He came across as something worse than ghoulish.
 
Florentina curtsied. "Why yes. I chased them off for good. You'll be safe in your travels now."

Valerius added, "We did at that. A fun game indeed!" I fear at her age she doesn't quite understand.
 
"Oh, excellent. I feel safer already. Valerius, would you be so kind as to tend to my horse. The young lady can escort me inside." A gleeful sneer that may have been intended as a smile came across his face.
 
"Very well. She shall see you inside then." I don't care for leaving you alone with her… I'm stuck. Well, she knows what to do. I hope.

Valerius tended to the mounts as Leopold and Florentina headed towards the house.
 
"How often have these wolves visited you, my dear?" Leopold attempted to sound gregarious.
 
"Oh, they have come since my father was killed in battle." Florentina answered without considering the game Leopold played.
 
"I see. That must have frightened you." Ah. I knew they were unwordly.
 
"Yes, they killed my brother. I was afraid they would kill me too, but Julia showed me that my father brought them to protect me. They follow my commands now. I wave my hand and they lay down."
 
"Interesting. And you say Julia helped you with this." I knew it!
 
"Yes, she helped me see that my father was with them and he was the one who brought them to me for my protection. I'm not afraid of them anymore."
 
"Well, that is wonderful, child. I'm pleased that Julia was able to help you." Just as I suspected. Hellhounds that she silences with a wave of her hand. Julia sees them too and helps her with them. I knew it was wise to come here.
 
They walked into the house, Leopold following Florentina.
 
Abramus greeted them. "Leopold. So good to see you. Won't you stay for supper? We have a fine stew. Father Thurston is here already. We have captured him. Will you be as easy?"
 
"I dare say the aroma is tempting. I've a schedule to keep, but I have a little time. How are you Abramus? I see your son, Cassius, is making a remarkable recovery. Valerius seems to have great skill as a physician. I understand he fixed the injury with his bare hands. I have never heard the like."
 
"Indeed, nor have I Leopold. He somehow grabbed the leg with two hands, twisted, pulled and returned it to a normal shape. A miracle, I suppose." Abramus did well to hide his contempt.
 
"And his injury, how did he come by it?"
 
"Oh … he was … ah, ah well, he fell from a tree and landed on it. He broke it in the fall, you see."
 
"A tree, you say. What in creation was he doing in a tree?" Leopold had almost turned a grey color as he interrogated Abramus.
 
"Well, I don't rightly know. He was ah…."
 
"Some tea, Father, freshly brewed?" Cassius had been listening and thought it wise to intervene. "I was trying to catch a bird that appeared injured. I thought I could perhaps nurse it to health. But, it deceived me. It flew straight up as quick as you please. Not a thing wrong with it. Ha! All of that for nothing, well, a broken limb I suppose!"




 



Recognized


Wonderful insightful feedback and excellent suggestions. Thank you so much.

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.



The story takes place about 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.