Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 27, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Added poem

The Story Of Our Love

by patcelaw














THE STORY OF OUR LOVE
Wayne E. Lawrence and
Patricia C. Lawrence
written during the last year of Wayne's life.
With Wayne and I working together.

It all started when Bobby Carter (my cousin), asked me to take him to the Indoor Sports Club meetings. This is a club of disabled people. They discussed the problems that those with disabilities faced in every day living. Most of the group was confined to wheelchairs and needed assistance in their care. There were a few who could drive a car. With special equipment they were able to drive and they were able to live on their own.
The club also had parties once a month. During the summer of 1958 on August 16 the party was held at the home of Cecil and Thelma Pugh. This couple also had two children who were handicapped, named Charles and Mary.
I had a 1955 Plymouth two door coupe. It had lots of room inside and in the trunk. On this day I came to the Pughs' home with four people who had wheelchairs and one that was slightly retarded and didn't need a wheelchair. I could put three wheelchairs in the trunk and the fourth chair was placed in the back seat between the passengers and the front seat. Those in the back seat didn't seem to care that the space was cramped as long as they got to go somewhere.
After unloading all the people and the wheelchairs, I was introduced to Cecil Pugh's sister, Minnie and two of her daughters, Patricia and Kathy. Pat was twenty years old and her sister Kathy was thirteen.
I think that Thelma Pugh had talked to Pat about me before I got there. Whatever Thelma had told Pat must have sparked an interest with Pat in me. At first meeting we hit it off very well. At first I thought that the Mahnkens were there for a visit and would be going back to Missouri. However, Pat stayed as her mother and sister returned to Missouri. Pat found a job working in a convalescent home to support herself.
Pat and her cousin Mary would show up at parties for the Outdoor Sports Club. One of the parties was a swim party. For those who couldn't swim there were inner tubes, so they could paddle around while floating.
As I was sitting on the side of the pool, Pat came by and pushed me in the pool. I quickly got out of the pool and chased her around the pool. As I chased her, she grabbed an inner tube and slipped it around her and jumped into the water. She warned me that she could not swim, so I splashed her instead of dunking her. We both had lots of fun that day.
At another party at Bobbie's home Pat met my Aunt Ethel. My mother was at this party too. My mother could see that Pat was interested in me and there were comments made about Pat being too young for me. My mother said, "Age doesn't matter at all.
Finally one day I asked Pat, "Would you like to go with me to the Los Angeles County Fair in Pomona, California."
She said, " Why don't we take Bobby and Mary with us?"
I agreed so we went to the fair the four of us. Pat pushed her cousin in her wheelchair around the fair, while I pushed Bobby in his wheelchair. We stayed away for the things which Mary and Bobby could not participate in. We spent many hours at the fair and we all were very tired when we got home. Before I left the Pugh's home, Pat asked me to call her sometime, and I said I would.
The very next day I called her, but she was not at home as she was at church. I told her aunt I would call again in the afternoon. When I called we made a date for that evening to see the movie 'No Time For Sergeants' at a drive-in theater.
When I picked her up she told me a delightful story of what her aunt had done to her before my call that afternoon. She said, "Aunt Thelma, had told me when I called that she (Pat) didn't want to see me, and not to call again." Pat related how she was disappointed with this for a few seconds until Aunt Thelma told her she had only been teasing her. Then after I called and made the date, Aunt Thelma also told Pat she was to say good morning the next morning for every time I kissed her.
At the movie we chatted for a long while and missed part of the movie, and then we started to kiss and missed more of the movie. When the movie was over we stayed for the second playing of the movie so we could tell people what it was about.
Pat told me that the next morning when she came out of her room for breakfast, that she went to her aunt and said, good morning, good morning, morning, morning, morning. I don't know how long she kept saying the good mornings but from the kissing the night before it could have been a long while.



---------------------------------------------------------------
Her Dream Came True

As a teen she dreamed one night,
That there would come along a knight,
A knight in shining armor,
That would bring her happiness.

Her life up to this point had been
Filled with things she should not have seen.
As there was abuse by her father,
As he would abuse his children.

Then is the flash of bright light,
She met her shining knight,
In armor of kindness,
He took her in his arms forever.

Her dream had come true,
And she felt like she was brand new.
With her knight at her side,
She was happy to be his wife.

-Patricia Lawrence

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In God's Plan

He was so young
a good looking man
little did he know
I was in God’ plan.

In His plan for this man
I was only a tender seven
years old but God decided
I’m saving her for him 
here in heaven.

There were other things,
that God had in His plan
to make it possible
for me to meet this man.

He had an aunt and uncle
with a son who was disabled
and my aunt and uncle
had two that were also disabled.

We met at a party for these
cousins of ours that day
I must say I was smitten
And I was heard to say,

“Hands off all, he is mine,”
then I set about to shine
the light of my spirit so he
knew I was right for him.

We dated for about three weeks
then he asked for my hand
in marriage that evening,
less than four months later,

We became Husband and Wife

-Patricia Lawrence







Most of the writing was done by my husband in the last year of his life. He wanted to write his memories for his daughters. I worked with him as proofreader and helped him with remembering the facts. He wrote the story from his
point of view. He wrote a total of 19 different stories for his girls and compiled them in a book as his last Christmas gift to them.
The photo is our wedding picture
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.