General Non-Fiction posted October 25, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Trip to the park for science class

Outsmarted

by patcelaw


Up  to now this story has been a bit heavy emotionally for me and I need a break, and my readers may  need a break as well. So this is a light story that happened in my science class in high school. The names have changed to protect the innocent and the guilty. One name change, Donna, is really me.

OUTSMARTED

Going to a small town school there was always a school bully and the school I attended was no exception. My mother would always say. "Donna, there will be those who will tease you and you will have to somehow find it in your heart to forgive them."

In kindergarten Robert was that bully and he would seek me out to tease. It seemed he took pleasure in hurting those who were smaller than he was. I was always the one he picked on, as I was at least 5 inches shorter than he was and had to wear glasses. I was always hurt when he made fun of my glasses and would push me causing me to fall. As a little girl it was always my desire to somehow get back at Robert some day.

Fast forward to my freshmen year in high school, and still having Robert in my class, I still looked forward to getting back at Robert, the bully.

Winter had been long and cold and the days of spring were a wonderful time for all of us. One beautifully clear day in May our science teacher said, "Class we will be taking a field trip to the park today."

We took our books from our desks, and took them to our lockers. I was excited to know I would be able to spend a pleasant day in the park. A day to look at all the pretty flowers and enjoy the fresh air.

As we lined up in front of the school for the walk to the park, which was only one-half mile away from the school, Mrs. Winters startled us all as she said, "I want you to have fun at the park, but at the same time it will be important to take notes on the things you see and do. When we return to school, you will be required to write a 500 word essay as your final for this class."

Robert immediately groaned and said, " Do we have to write a paper, can't we just go to the park and have fun?"

Mrs. Winters said, "Robert would you rather have a 500 question test?"

"No," Robert said.

On the way to the park it seemed the boys were very interested in things along side the street. Time after time they would pick up something and say, "Nope, that won't work, we have to find something better than that."

When we arrived at the park, the grass was green and thick and felt like velvet. The clear blue ponds shimmered in the sunlight and the wind blew ever so lightly. This sure was better than sitting in a stuffy classroom all day.

With Robert as the ringleader, the boys kept looking for something. I watched them carefully because I did not trust these boys at all. I knew these boys with Robert as their guide, could not be trusted on a field trip.

Jumping from behind a huge elm tree, Robert yelled, "Hey, fellows, come over here and see what I've found."

Although I couldn't see what Robert held in his hand I knew by the reaction of the other boys that it had to be something with which those awful boys could bother the girls.

Ginny, one of the smaller girls in the school, was sitting quietly by the stream watching the water gurgle over and around the smooth stones. As the boys came over to her, Robert held out a snake and said. "Hey, Ginny, how would you like to play with our pet?"

Jumping quickly to her feet, Ginny ran away as fast as she could, all the while yelling, "Those terrible boys have a snake! They have a snake!"

As the boys came to the picnic table where Kathy and  two of her friends sat, she stood speechless as Robert, handed her the ugly reptile. She then almost fainted and had to sit down. Her friends gathered around her and asked her if she was alright. When she was finally recovered enough to speak she said, "Get out of here and leave me alone, I hate snakes."

As I watched those terrible boys go from girl to girl, I knew the time would come that I would have to face the snake, as the boys soon would approach me. All the time I was thinking how I could possibly get even with Robert for kindergarten so many years before.

One by one the boys went from girl to girl to see how each girl would respond to the snake. They were having the time of their lives teasing the girls, and the girls were each terrified of the reptile. I knew at this point someone was going to have to call the bluff of the boys, to teach them a lesson so they would leave the girls alone.

When the time came that the boys felt it was my turn with the snake, I only hoped I had the courage to call their bluff and spoil their fun.

I was sitting on the merry-go-round as the boys approached me with the snake, and it was none other than Robert who had it. Oh, how I wanted to get the best of him at this point.

"How about it Donna, wouldn't you just love to have a nice green snake to take home with you? To have a pet as ugly as you?" Robert said, as he pushed the snake toward me.

Since I had a brother, I knew those snakes which were dangerous and those that were not. This snake I knew was a garter snake and harmless. With all the courage I could muster I took the snake from Robert. While the amazed boys watched I wrapped the snake around my arm a couple of times. Then as I took it from my arm I said, "Here, Robert, why don't you take this reptile home with you and crawl around on your belly like he does since you are just that low."
The other boys said, "Hey, Robert, you think you're so smart and so tough, well we think you have just been outsmarted by a girl! Just wait until this gets around school!"

When I returned to school I had a very good time telling my friends how I had overcome my fear for a few seconds. However, at home it was a different story as I told my family at dinner the whole story. I told them how only my long skirt kept the boys from seeing a pair of extremely wobbly knees. 

Robert was none too pleased when the guys teased him about being outsmarted by a girl,  and Mrs Winters did require us to write the essay as our final.

This is my final essay for the class.

 



Recognized


The next chapter will explain a few things about why I lost most of my childhood memories for many years.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.