Young Adult Fiction posted October 24, 2014 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Every game has a player with a weakness

A chapter in the book A Copper Coin

Allow for all possibilities

by Silence_is_golden233

2nd of Marna (March), 1682. 14th year of Q.E.

Thoughts fought for attention in her mind as she sat beside the Butterfly. Rheys had sent for her moments after her messenger duties had finished for the day. The Dragna had called an Alliance meeting and had specifically requested that 'Alley Cat' be present. Her clothes had been stored in the chest of masks once she'd arrived and a black dress now swung sleepily around her ankles. However they were soon on the move under the cover of night and the Ragtag Queen led her subjects right to the heart of Olin Manor under the cover of thick black cloaks. Skye's mask soon became something she could hide behind and create a whole new persona for. Cats were sly and quick witted; Skye had the feeling that she would have to be the same tonight.

Rheys stopped short as they reached the covered corridor and Skye looked at the other woman's hands. They shook ever so slightly as she smoothed the lines of her cloak and Skye did the only thing she could at the time. She offered her leader an elbow to hold onto and Rheys grasped it gratefully before continuing forward. The shadows whispered and out of the corner of her eye she could see twisted masks appear in the dim light of the lanterns. She tilted her chin up and walked with her back as straight as possible.

Hisses and snippets made it clear that the onlookers were more worried about the fact that Alley Cat was here. But they soon noticed the closeness of the Butterfly to her newest advisor. Could other thieves tongues do nothing but wag this evening? The young woman looked around and committed as many details to her memory as she could before they reached the end of the corridor. As they did reach the large doors to the Great Hall, it seemed that they were the last ones to arrive and this placed Skye on high alert until Butterfly squeezed her arm for the briefest of moments.

"Relax Alley Cat for I have no intention of feeding you to the wolves." Rheys whispered behind her beautifully painted mask as colourful butterflies danced over its cream background.

"Thank you Butterfly." she said simply as Rheys took a hold of one of the large brass ring that served as a door knocker. The deep thud rumbled through Skye's chest before a password was muttered and the doors were pulled inwards. They scraped against dark grey stone as the large round table slowly came into view. It reminded Skye of that tale which was told to every cobble child at one time or another; of how the Queen's Guard decided to hold gatherings around a large round table. The moral of the story was that all are equal in the end but not very many children believed that equality was still there these days. The cog wheels kept moving as the seated few rose as the ladies entered the room. Skye's eyes flicked from mask to mask before she locked onto Ace and Jackal.

Rheys moved to their seats after a brief curtsey and had been forced to let go of Skye's arm in the process. Butterfly slid her gaze over to the chair on her right as another masked Ragtag sat in the left hand chair. Cloak hoods were kept up at all times to help with the air of annonymity. So as Skye took her seat beside Butterfly, she made sure her hood was secured behind the mask's cat ears with small shawl pins. For all intents and purposes this was a friendly Alliance meeting, however Skye knew better as she saw how tightlyRheys clasped her hands in her lap. Skye turned her head to see Ace on her other side but had no time to acknowledge the small trickle of relief. A man had stood up, his face depicting a wolf with bloodied jaws and fangs. Skye immediately felt his gaze on her and she glanced at Butterfly instead, who gave her a minute bob of her head.

"Greetings and apologies for calling you all here so suddenly. However my sources tell me that there is a new face among the Ragtag advisors. I shall formally introduce myself," he paused to judge her reaction and seemed almost disappointed when he detected no change in her body language. "my name is Remus and I currently lead the Dragna." His mock bow did nothing for her and as Butterfly cleared her throat before standing, she could almost see Remus' distaste for the Ragtag Queen.

"Good evening to you Remus and we do indeed have a new advisor. However if this is what you called the Alliance together for then we shall be leaving. Meetings are for serious matters that need discussing; not introductions." There was a general murmur of agreement before Remus let out a short barking laugh.

"Ah but if I hadn't called this meeting, Butterfly, then the Alliance would not have met your pet." his words were deliberately two pronged; both probing and insulting in the same stroke. The murmurs grew before tangling up different opinions until most were a little confused. Remus just sat back and fed off it all before Jackal slammed a rock down on the sturdy table with a loud thunk.

"You know full well that meetings are not called for just this alone Remus. Find another reason or you will be found in breach of the Thieve's Code." Everyone quietened down and Remus laughed it off lightly, waving Jackal's statement away as though it was smoke from a pipe.

"Oh come now Jackal, I was only having a little fun." Skye saw those shrewd dark eyes running over those seated at the table before he stopped at her mask briefly. She tilted her head up a little defiantly and sat up straighter in her high backed chair.

"What's the matter Alley Cat? Another feline run off with your tongue perhaps?" Remus purred out and Skye's stomach churned before she stood.

"I'm sorry to tell you that you're mistaken Remus. I only prefer to speak when I feel I have something vital to add to a discussion." her voice was sickeningly sweet and polite as she realised the danger that Remus truly posed. His eyes narrowed to slits as a titter of laughter ran around the table and he let out an irritated grunt.

"You seem to be wiser than your years Alley Cat, perhaps you have a topic you would like to put up for discussion?" He suggested as Jackal's hand twitched on the rough edges of the rock.

"I would like to discuss the fact that each territory should be entered into by foreign gang members only if they have written permission. The permission should be granted by both the gang member's leader and the territory's leader. This would cut down on the number of marks stolen or harmed by those who entered another gang's territory without reason." The stunned silence was more telling than anything else in that moment as Remus jerked back as though he'd been struck.

"An interesting proposition, though how would it be enforced Alley Cat?" Ace asked and she looked over at him before pausing for a brief moment as if to think.

"I'm sure if we have members with any latent magical ability that could be useful for this idea that could be an option? We could also make checkpoints along the boarders to check written permission and signatures." her suggestions caused more and more to jump on the idea with curiosity and focus that seemed to unnerve the Dragna leader and his bretheren.

"Surely we don't need to be so formal about going between territories?" Remus laughed uneasily before Skye saw her chance right then and there. However Butterfly chose that moment to make her feelings known and Skye was relieved that she wouldn't be the one to drive the message home.

"Surely we do need to be after that poor little girl was murdered on my doorstep no less?" Butterfly pointed out and there were hisses of dismay and sounds of sorrow from all around the room, not just amongst those at the table.

"I move to vote," Jackal stated before sitting up taller in his chair, "those for the proposed border restrictions say aye and raise their hands. Those against say nay and leave their hands down."

Remus watched as many an 'aye' was said and hands went up all over the Great Hall. Skye could tell this already significantly hobbled his operations for the moment and would buy her time in order to figure out the link between the school fees and the Dragna. If there wasn't a link; which she thought was highly unlikely, then no one would be the wiser. After a runner went and counted the votes, they realised that the restriction had narrowly passed. The Dragna were in a right state as Remus and the other two leaders disbanded the meeting for the night. They left bickering and with Remus struggling to find answers to the hard hitting questions they all wanted answered.




Characters:
Skye - Main character who is a member of the Ragtag Brigade and answers to Alley Cat for all Ragtag activities.

Rheys - Female merchant specialising in silks and spices, she is the leader of the Ragtag Brigade and answers to Butterfly for all Ragtag activities. Is sometimes referred to as the Ragtag Queen.

Jackal - Leader of the Skeletons, identity unknown.

Ace - Skeleton adviser, reports to Jackal, identity unknown.

Remus - Dragna leader, identity unknown.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Silence_is_golden233 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Silence_is_golden233 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.