General Fiction posted October 24, 2014 Chapters:  ...33 34 -35- 36... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Julia snd Valerius spend time alone.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Julia Describes Her Visions

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates meet in several lifetimes unaware of their connection. In spite of often impossible circumstances they always seem drawn to each other.



 
Previously, Discussions continued. Julia and Florentina walked in unnoticed as the others talked about the dangers to them and possible solutions. Julia displayed some of her knowledge of past lives telling Father Thurston that he recognized him as being there for the crucifixtion of Jesus along with herself and Father Leopold. This lead to a philosophical discussion. We continue now as Valerius takes Julia ourside to consult with her in private. The others remain inside to discuss strategy for keeping the girls safe. We continue now as Julia and Valerius prepare to take a stroll.


~~~~~~~Valerius and Julia take a walk
 

Valerius took Julia to the side. He spoke softly, "I'd like a moment with you alone. Would that be acceptable to you? I suggest a walk down the pathway."
 
"Of course. I would wish for no one else's company. You don't understand that do you?" Julia looked quizzically at him, but not unkindly.
 
"Perhaps you can explain it to me."
 
"I shall try to do just that." She smiled now as though more hopeful.
 
Valerius addressed the others. "I will consult with Julia as her doctor in a private session. If you would be so kind as to remain here, the discussion will resume in a short time."
 
The others nodded their agreement and Valerius escorted Julia down the walkway.
 

~~~~~~~Inside the home of Abramus
 

Lourdes approached Father Thurston. "Father, what is the danger to my daughter? She is grieving for her father. Is that not a natural thing for a child? She misses the good times and comfort of his voice, the feel of his powerful arms around her to keep her safe and the joy that he brought to her with his play. How is she a threat to the power of the church?"
 
"You speak with good sense, dear woman. All that you say finds a warm hearth within me. Yes, the church is powerful. Within that power are men, men who crave that power. It does something to them. I don't know why. The glory of adulation perhaps. I can't say that I don't understand it somewhat. I feel a sense of pride when addressed reverently as father. I feel it personally though I know it is respect for the position. It is a flaw, pride. It is a common flaw shared by many."
 
"Perhaps, but you command reverence. You are kindly and given to good. Here you are at this home with a noble purpose. There is certainly nothing for you to gain to align yourself with us. I am but the lowliest of peasants. I have lived… "
 
"No, no dear woman. There is nothing about you that is low. You take care of your daughter with no regard for yourself. It is you that command reverence. It is you that are good and with noble purpose. I would be loath to turn my back to you considering my vows. I merely do what I claim I will do."
 
"Thank you Father. What are we to do now?" Lourdes looked to Father Thurston anxiously.
 
"Well, we must instruct the girls in what behavior to avoid especially around Father Leopold. But, we must always be cautious. There is no telling whose eyes are at his call. Valerius will be most helpful with methods to assist you in that regard. Leopold looks for demons under every rock and lily pad. He has blood lust in his eyes. I prodded him to relate the cleansing of that girl with Rastavius that Valerius told me about. He needed very little encouragement." All eyes and ears in the room were focused on his every word.
 
Cassius took note of Florentina's presence. "Florentina and I tire of all this talk. We'll take our leave and enjoy the afternoon sun. Shall we?" He bent over and extended his hand to the girl. She smiled, clasped his hand and they were out the door. Lourdes nodded her approval and sent Cassius on his way with a warm smile.
 
Thurston continued. "He relished every moment of it. He watched Rastavius plunge a knife into that woman and delighted in it. He thinks they released her soul to God. Condemned their own to hell would be more in keeping with the truth."
 
Abramus leapt from his stool. "Mercy! Surely, this is not acceptable to the church. Murder in the sanctity of the house of the Lord. How can this be? Is there no one with sense that you might report this to? I can't believe that there are no Godly men to condemn such wickedness."
 
"Yes, there are such men. But, such men do not have the favor of the military. Words and righteousness fare poorly in the face of a bludgeon. A soldier is given to warring. A soldier has an ear for those that offer the potential of battle and conquest. The cause need not be just, it but need be a cause." Thurston looked up from the ground to capture the eye of Abramus.
 
Abramus saw the truth of what Thurston spoke in the priest's eyes and felt the truth within himself. "What do we do to defend ourselves? I am no soldier. None of us are. We are farmers."
 
"No soldier is one until he becomes one. I fear we may have to become soldiers. It may be necessary. I hope that it is not so. We must be clear in our plan and all of a like mind. We will speak more when Valerius returns with Julia. Now, I heard mention of a stew. The evidence tickles my nostrils. I pray you were genuine in your offer of a bowl."
 
Abramus smiled and began to gesture to his son. He arose when he realized that Cassius had taken his leave. "Perhaps I'll join you. It does please the senses."
 

~~~~~~~Julia and Valerius enjoy their time alone
 

"I want to speak with you alone as your doctor, Julia. I understand that you are not sick. But, at the same time, you must understand that you are unlike others. You are unlike myself. You claim to know me and know me for time that stretches beyond my comprehension. I know you first as a childhood acquaintance and now as we have grown."
 
Julia smiled. She found it difficult to brew anger towards Valerius. He presented himself to her as a friend of the highest order. She could feel in her heart that his loyalty was without question. "True, you have a limited memory. Perhaps I might refresh your memory. I can certainly tell you of times we have shared together that you seem to have forgotten or misplaced in your mind."
 
Julia ran towards the forest laughing. Valerius stood startled for a moment and then pursued her. She spoke, "Let me describe what I see and you can tell me what you see."
 
Valerius nodded his head. He looked into the forest and down the path as though taking stock of what he already saw. "Very well. Tell me what you see. Tell me in detail and speak of what it means to you and perhaps if you are aware of time. Maybe if you feel it was long ago."
 
"Always there are shadows. Pictures of objects and people. Some of them I recognize and many I do not. Creatures of all kinds roam the forest. They are faint and of no consequence. They cannot touch me or be touched. Men and woman are among them. Most are strangers, some are familiar."
 
"Who is familiar?"
 
"I am always familiar to myself. I stand out from the other shadows though I cannot touch myself either. I see myself over there with a long spear on my way to a hunt. You are there as well and Leopold too. You are a young boy. Leopold an old man that resents me. I am the leader of the clan. He has become too old and infirm. He resents you. You are an orphan. I have befriended you, as you amuse me. Do you remember? You imitate the old man. You limp and drag your foot as he does. He reviles you for it and reviles me for my enjoyment of it. Neither of us mean harm. It is just antics. Are you aware of any of this? Do you see it?"
 
"No, I don't see it. I only see trees and the crow that sits on the branch. When you speak, it stirs within me in a way I can't explain. I know that in some way there is truth to it. I know that there is something between us that I share with no other on Earth. I have felt it pass through me when I first embraced you as a friend. There is a force that is beyond the two shells that walk through this forest. Indeed, that is a great part of what lends to my belief in your visions. If I can feel between us a force that is beyond what we physically are then why then should I doubt that you see things in the same way."
 
"Yes. That is sensible. That is wonderful to hear. I feel like you have explained to me what I see. I see what is outside of my body. There is certainly forces outside of our body. It is the foundation of faith that there is. If I see them then I do. That makes me more abled than others not less so, wouldn't you agree?"
 
"Yes, Julia. I do agree. I have thought as much for some time. It occurs to me that there is a portion of that truth within all that are considered ill of mind. I saw how you were able to reach thru to Florentina. I could not have done that. I would not have had the understanding. I believe you can help many in the same way if you are of a mind to."
 
"Oh yes, Valerius. I am of such a mind. I have felt such a burden for so long. I would dearly love to be a help."
 
"I knew you would feel so. We will talk more of this. Let's join the others. We do need to form a plan to keep you and Florentina safe from the clutches of Leopold. I suspect that before long there will be many others that we must protect from him as well."
 
They joined hands and set out towards the house. Julia felt at home with Valerius. He fought desperately with the feelings he had for her. How am I to minister to her as a doctor and work with her as a colleague when my love for her is beyond my comprehension? Valerius smiled. It was not a problem that he found unpleasant. He wasn't quite sure if his feet touched the ground as they walked.



 



Recognized


Feedback continues to be invaluable. Thank you so much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.



The story takes place about 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.