General Fiction posted October 22, 2014 Chapters:  ...32 33 -34- 35... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Father Thurston arrives. Julia reveals the past.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

A Glimpse of the Past

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates return to earth many times. The are often in impossible circumstances. Yet, they are still drawn to each other in spite of them.
Previously, Julia made great strides with Florentina. She helped her to see beyond her fear and realize that the wolves were only spirits that came with her father to watch over her. Valerius was astonished by her abilities. Discussions continued concerning the church's potential danger. It took some convincing to make Abramus realize that his life long friend, Leopold, was a danger to his daughter. As discussions continued, a knock on the door revealed the arrival of Father Thurston. We continue now as he is greeted and reveals his purpose for visiting.





 
"Welcome to my home, Father. Can I offer you something to drink? There is a stew prepared. It would be our great honor to share some with you." Abramus was a genuinely gracious man and had a high regard for the clergy.
 
"You honor me, Abramus. Perhaps some stew later. I do appreciate the aroma, I must confess. I am here on a matter of some urgency. Valerius here is aware that I have been in discourse with Father Leopold. We encountered Valerius on the road not too long ago."
 
"Yes, he told us of your encounter and your assistance. I offer my thanks. I worry about the welfare of my daughter of course. She is a kind soul and nothing but goodness ever comes from her. I am not blind to what has been done in the name of God in times gone by. I do have a fear of it." Abramus had removed any form of gregariousness from his manner and spoke in hushed tones.
 
"Let us sit then, all of us." He gestured all there to sit. "We will discuss what need be done in light of Leopold's enlightenment, if you will, under the tutelage of Rastavius. I warn you, there is more than Leopold to concern ourselves with. We are blessed with obscurity in our village. We are small and insignificant in the scheme of things. The great cities and warring factions have little interest in a few flocks of sheep or rows of barley. Oh... perhaps some water, if it wouldn't be troublesome." He smiled at Abramus.
 
"Cassius, would you… " Abramus remained intensely stoic.
 
Before his father could complete his request, Cassius was on his way to the cistern to fetch water for Father Thurston. He returned shortly. "The corner of the room stays somewhat cold; I hope it meets with your approval."
 
Thurston took a long drink from the large chalice that Cassius had chosen for a vessel. He held the chalice before him admiring it. "This appears to be ancient, son. Two hundred years old, maybe more."
 
Abramus answered, "It was my father's and his father's before that. It is Roman in origin. I was told that it dates back six generations. It has been in the family at least that long. It is said to have belonged to Emperor Septimius Severus. That would make it about three hundred years old. It has been handed down from General Abramus in the army of Severus who was held in good favor. I am the seventh Abramus to have possession of it. Well, if all of it is to be believed. My son, Abramus, was made a conscript about a year past. We encountered soldiers on the road who enlisted him on the spot. My protests went unheeded. I have not heard from him since. We pray he is safe and will return one day."
 
"I will add him to my prayers, my friend. The wars are the bain of the land. To fight over a portion of land and then to fight over it again... where is the sense when there is land for all. The nobility flourishes while men die and people starve. Even the clergy are not without darkness. You saw yourself, Valerius, the opulence of the church in Constantinople."
 
"Indeed, the courtyard was adorned with statuary of incredible detail. Marble fountains of the highest quality. Astonishing beauty."
 
"Yes, beautiful--it is that. But what does it serve? In what way is it of God? People made in the image of God, those who he has written are his children, live like animals in the forest, while the priests of the church take communion from gold plates and bejeweled chalices. This is in reverent memory of Christ? Well, I digress. But, this is all important to consider. I chastise myself for my own judgment of such things. I wear garments and a coat to shield me from the cold. Would I not do nearly as well without the coat? Would not the coat be of more comfort to one exposed to the elements with no shelter?" Thurston drank from the chalice and set it down on the table.
 
Lourdes seemed nervous to speak, but spoke nonetheless. "Father, I have lived in the forest having lost my husband to the war. I have cared for my daughter as best as I might. Now, I find she is in more danger under the warmth of this roof. Must I hide in the forest to save her?"
 
"No. No, dear child. I will not allow such a travesty. I am here to assure you that Leopold will not succeed if he attempts to harm anyone in this village under the guise of ridding it of a demon. But, we must be wise and we must have sense. The church is powerful. It is hideously powerful and dangerous. It holds the lives of men in its hands. The hands that come together in prayer drip with innocent blood and do so with impunity. We cannot afford to bring the eyes of the church into this village. That is our struggle. That is our fight."
 
Julia and Florentina stood in the doorway observing in silence. Florentina looked fearful and Julia looked angry. Their eyes were on Thurston.
 
Valerius sensed the presence of Julia and then looked to confirm it. "Are you two in good spirits? We are discussing matters that concern you both. We endeavor to ensure that you are both safe."
 
Julia smiled warmly to him. "No one is safe from the church, Valerius. It has been so for hundreds of years. A church devoted to the worship of the very man they murdered. Do you not see the senselessness of it?" Julia did not speak with anger. She spoke as though she recited a well-known fact.

She then fixed her eyes on Thurston as she continued. "You opposed the murder. But there was nothing you could do. It haunts you. Leopold did not oppose it. He welcomed it and relished the status it gave him. You were once friends. You became enemies. You continue to be in contention, one trying to convince the other."
 
"You speak of the Christ? Is that it child?" Thurston was clearly shocked by what she said.
 
"No, I speak of the man called Jesus. He was not called the Christ then. That came later from a foreign land. I speak of Jesus, the man murdered by the Romans. You opposed the murder but found no support. Leopold saw gain in his position and favored it. He favored it gleefully."
 
"How can you know such things, child? You are but barely twenty years on this good earth. I, myself, am but forty-two years on this earth. How can any of this be?"
 
"I was there. You were there, Leopold was there. I remember it. You do not?"
 
"No. No, I do not remember what is impossible to remember. Impossible for me and impossible for you too, dear child. Valerius, can you not make her see that this is impossible?"
 
"I cannot say that it is. Who am I to say what is or is not possible? Is it not your teaching that all things are possible? I have heard it said exactly so. I don't profess to understand how it is possible, but I will not say that it isn't. She is not insane. I can tell you that as her doctor. She is of sound mind and considerably more gifted of intellect than most, perhaps more than anyone that I have known."
 
"You speak the truth, Valerius. I am not one to judge. It is written thusly. I will consider the possibility then that there is truth in what she says. As she speaks, I feel the sense of it. What she describes between Leopold and myself is true. Whether it is five years in the making or five hundred, the truth of it is not in dispute. The power of the church she speaks of is true as well. In all fairness, it was the Romans who killed Jesus and the Roman church that worships him."
 
Lourdes was clearly tiring of this debate. "This is all fine and good, but none of this protects my daughter or Julia either for that matter. This is what needs be discussed, is it not?"
 
"Indeed, child. You are most correct. Let me address the two girls directly." He waved the two girls in front of him. They came as he requested. "Julia, you seem to understand fully the danger that the church possess. I am here to tell you that the danger is to you and your newfound friend here. But, it does not stop there. The people in this room share the same burden that you do."
 
"I understand, Father. I truly understand. What would you have us do? Are we to no longer be ourselves? Should we slither around the village like the snakes in the meadow? Perhaps the villagers would enjoy poking us with sticks to see if it angers us."
 
Valerius intervened. "I understand that you find this distasteful and even insulting, Julia. I can even say that we are in agreement. Here him out. He is trying to find a way for all of us to live the best lives we can in the safest way possible. What does it gain you if you are yourself and that gets your head cut off and put on a pike to ward off demons? And, would you be pleased to know that my head would likely be joining you? Your brother, Cassius? Your father? Florentina and her mother?"
 
"Of course I don't wish that. But, if I am made to be reasonable in the course of the unreasonable, why is there no effort to impart reason to one that is supposed to be reasonable? Is redemption not a foundation of your beliefs?"
 
"Indeed it is. I have made an effort to bring sense to a man filled with vile nonsense to no avail. I will continue to do so. I can tell you, my efforts will be futile. That is why we need to have a plan for you and your friend."
 
"I understand. Such a foolish world. There is no escaping what we do in life. It is all a part of us. If only people could see it. I am ready to discuss our plan." Julia seemed peaceful and even in charge.
 



 



Recognized


Wonderful feedback as always. I am hopelessly behind and apologize for not answering every review in a timely manner. I do read every word and copy to my files in MS WORD. Wonderful input. Thank you so much!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.