Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 22, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Childhood memories

Childhood years Chapter 2

by patcelaw




























Childhood years



Chapter 2 Part 1

Here are just a few of the memories I have been able, with the help of God, to recall after having lost most of my childhood memories after an incident that happened when I was 19 years old. (The story of what happened will come in a later chapter)

Here God is giving me roses for my garden

As a little girl I loved to go to the meadow in the spring. There were hundreds of wild flowers. I loved the flowers and would pick them and take them home to mama. She loved the flowers so much and that always made me feel good to do something nice for mama. I tried so very hard to please my parents. I wanted to please them.

This is one of my favorite memories and here God is planting another rose in my garden of life.

When my oldest brother was to get married, he lived in Minnesota. Mom, dad, my twin brother, oldest sister and me, traveled there for the wedding. It was the most miles I had ever been away from home.

We went to Minneapolis and entered a large department store. There we saw a television for the first time and Patrick and I would watch the TV and couldn't imagine how pictures could be in the big box. We also got to ride on our first escalator, so of course as six year olds we took several times up and down those giant moving stairs.


When my oldest brother Samuel got married in Minnesota he had Patrick and me in his wedding as ring bearer and flower girl. Patrick wore a custom sailor suit to match the sailor suit Sam wore to be married in. A custom made dress that matched Alta's (my sister-in-law) dress was made for me.
Patrick was such a handsome 6 year old boy, dressed in his custom made sailor suit and he looked up to our older brother.

As for me, I felt so pretty in the beautiful gown that matched the bride's gown. I felt like a fairy tale princess.


On the farm we had 2 horses, Brownie and Bay. Brownie was a very gentle horse and was gentle with the little kids as we would ride her, but if the bigger kids got on her, she could run very fast, Bay on the other hand just took off full speed. I didn't like riding him as it scared me.

One time Jerry, my youngest brother, and I wanted to be like circus riders, so we got Brownie. We got on her back and tried to stand up on her. She didn't like that and promptly bucked sending us to the ground. We didn't try that again. This was a thorn experience and I learned I was not a circus rider.

In the summer when the garden was growing I would go out and braid the silk tassels on the corn. Mama didn't like that very much so I was scolded and I didn't do it after I was caught. I wanted so much to learn to braid. I had a little sister, but mom would not let me fix her hair.

I liked it when we would go fishing in a nearby creek. We had cane poles and there was a sinker, hook and a bobber on the line. I loved watching as the fish would nibble and the bobber would wiggle until the fish got really hungry for the worm and the bobber would go deep into the water and then I pulled in the fish. I didn't much like taking the fish off the hook, so usually mama took the fish off and put it on the stringer. We weren't fishing for catch and release we were fishing for food to put on our dinner table.

We had a dog, Prince a German Shepard, collie mixed and I loved Prince very much. He and I would run in the yard as I would throw sticks and he would fetch them and bring them back to me. When my second oldest brother Marion went to the navy, Prince disappeared from our home. How I missed him. On the day before my brother came home on leave. Prince showed up on our door step. This had been a full year. Did Prince have knowledge that Marion was coming home? I don't know, but when Prince came home he was not dirty or underfed, so apparently in the year someone had cared well for him

Many times I would do cart-wheels in the yard in the summers, but I was not coordinated enough to do jumping jacks. I was an adult before I learned to do jumping jacks.

One time I sent off in the mail to get a chart to put on our old upright piano. I was thinking I would learn to play, but didn't because our family was too poor to provide me with piano lessons. Later in life I did get a piano, took some adult classes in a community adult school, now I play enough for my own amazement or amusement, I really can't figure out just which it is.


One hot summer afternoon mom sent us to the berry patch to pick blackberries. We went to the shed and got the bucket for the berries.
Mom said, "bring back a bucket full." My older brother Luther decided to strip leaves from a tree and put them in the bucket until the bucket was over half full of leaves. Then we went to the blackberry patch and picked berries to fill up the bucket.

When we got back to the house mom dumped the berries, or what she thought were berries. When the leaves came tumbling out of the bucket, boy did she get angry with us and sent us back to the berry patch, and this time we were to come back with a whole bucket full.

We didn't like going to the berry patch on a hot day as that is when the chiggers were the worse, and we would get bitten and be in much discomfort from the itching from the bites. We did go back to the house with the full bucket this time.
              Three Little Words

                           There are three little words,
                           Our children need to hear,
                           That will conquer their doubts,
                           And calm their fear.
                           From you they need to hear them,
                           Each and every day,
                          And those three little words,
                          Are not very hard to say.
                          They reach deep into the hearts,
                          Of our precious little ones,
                          Those precious gifts from God,
                          Our daughters and our sons.
                          So if you want your little ones,
                          To do what they should do,
                          Just simply say to them each day,
                          Our dear children, WE LOVE YOU.
                         
                         -Patricia Lawrence

*************************************************
The Flowergirl and Ring Bearer


They were just little ones,
The seven year old twins
were chosen
as flowergirl and ring bearer
in the wedding of Sam
their older brother.

Sam was a sailor man
was married in his uniform
so a replica of the suit was made
for the ring bearer.

The bride had a lovely white gown
an exact copy of the gown 
was made for the flower girl
And made her feel like a princess.
-Patricia Lawrence





Art work was done by me using a computer art program.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.