General Fiction posted October 20, 2014 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Discussions to keep the girls safe are underway.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

The Girls Bond, Plans Are Made

by michaelcahill




Background
True soul mates encounter each other on earth in several lifetimes under impossible circumstances. Their bond draws them together despite all odds.
Previously, The priests return and Lourdes and Valerius cover Florentina's outburst well. Leopold remains suspicious despite Thurston's help in the matter. The priests converse on the road and it becomes apparent to Thurston that Leopold has crossed the line into fanatacism, and he will have to keep an eye on him. Valerius and party finally reach the home of Abramus. Julia takes to Florentina and is brought out of her depressed state by the little girl. A discussion begins. We continue now as Julia addresses Lourdes about her daughter.










~~~~~~~A plan begins to take shape

 
Lourdes had mixed feelings seeing her daughter in the arms of Julia. The smile on Florentina's face certainly warmed her heart. Yet, Julia had, moments before, been unreachable in a world of her own.
 
Valerius could see the sense of fear mixed with joy displayed by Lourdes. He understood it. The mind was difficult to comprehend when it was ordinary. A mind not within the accepted boundaries or normal frightened people. It even scared sensible people. She fears Julia to a degree. Perhaps worries her daughter might be caught up in Julia's world. Hmmm… that might be a possibility. But, that is no way to think… "Your daughter seems to have found a friend and Julia seems to have found one as well."
 
"Yes, they seem taken with one another. I've not seen my daughter so readily at ease with a stranger. It pleases me. She seems to bring out a smile in Julia as well." It is good. I am wrong to worry perhaps. Valerius is wise and seems to approve. "Maybe they wish to chat for a while without scrutiny. Would you like to spend time with Julia, Florentina? She may know of wolves and such."
 
"I don't know if I can speak to wolves. But, I am not yet so ancient that I cannot out run her in a foot race down the lane!" With that, she set Florentina down and bolted towards the door.
 
Florentina giggled and screamed at the same time. She burst thru the door in pursuit.
 
"Did you see, Father? The little girl reached thru to Julia right away. Julia seemed to be concerned for her. I'm so happy you brought your new friends, Valerius." Cassius seemed amazed by the interaction between Julia and Florentina.
 
Abramus smiled widely as well. "Yes, ma'am, your child is a ray of sunshine indeed. I feared my daughter might remain morose for a good long time. Your little girl's spirit jumped right up and snapped her right out of it. I am in your debt."
 
"You are too kind. I've not seen a smile so wide on my daughter since her father was still with us. He used to imitate the animals of the forest. It delighted her. She has that same excitement with your daughter. They seem good for each other."
 
"I suspected they would have a connection in a way possibly difficult for us to understand. While they become better acquainted, it affords us the opportunity to discuss matters on their behalf. I intend to be candid. There is no other way. The church has taken to murder in Constantinople. Our good father Leopold participated first hand to my understanding. I'm not sure if he wielded a weapon or struck a blow, but he certainly made no attempt to intervene."
 
Abramus was sharp in his response, "Surely you are mistaken. Why, I almost hope this is a folly on your part, though I would fail to find it amusing. How are you privy to such information? Those are serious allegations. I've known Father Leopold for most of my life. We are at odds from time to time, but I consider him a friend. I hope this is not capricious on your part. You are young, Valerius, and perhaps given to enthusiasm."
 
"My friends here can tell you that we encountered him on the road even as we rushed to Julia's aid. Our encounter in the great city was discussed. I was there to receive instruction from Gregorio. Leopold was there at the same time to consult with Rastavius. While there, Rastavius murdered a young woman under the pretext of freeing her soul. Leopold was in agreement with this practice." He paused and looked at the stunned expressions.
 
In the distance, the happy sounds of the two girls engaging in play sounded out of place considering the serious nature of the conversation inside.
 
"I offer this as information. It is a fact. I need you to accept this as a fact, and we need to protect those girls out there from Father Leopold. I can't be any more clear. Abramus, Julia must not give Leopold a reason to scrutinize her. He already has his eye on her. His mind is made up and we will not change it. We must keep him at bay and give him nothing else to use against Julia. That holds true for Florentina as well." He looked seriously into the eyes of Lourdes who gazed back intently. "We did well with our explanation today. But you could see that he was suspicious nonetheless. He would be suspicious of a prayer for favorable weather."
 
"Well, what do you want us to do? Julia isn't one to back down and fade into the background. And for God's sake, Valerius, Florentina is but a child. How can we ask her to be pious and reverential? Her very presence brings out the boy in me. I feel my feet become lighter just at the sight of her." Cassius spoke with more earnestness than anyone there had ever seen from him.
 
It heartened Valerius to see the depth of concern that Cassius was bringing to bear on these matters. "Thank you, Cassius. I knew you would be the first to offer your help. We're all going to have to watch the two of them closely. Remember, Leopold has followers. It isn't his eyes alone that we worry about. It is those we may not even know are watching. We must be careful. I have the feeling that these two girls aren't the only patients I'm going to have in need of my services. Gregorio told me quite a bit about what goes on in the nearby villages and even in the forest where many people live on their own with little help. My assistant here knows much about this."
 
Abramus seemed concerned and perhaps skeptical. "You make it sound like a war, son. I can't believe that Leopold would move against people in the village where he has spent his whole life. Perhaps he was intimidated by the great city."
 
"True, he was, no doubt. But, when we encountered him on the road, he spoke with even more confidence. We are favored by God to have an ally in the church right her in the village. Father Thurston came to our aid immediately. He senses the danger I believe. He acknowledged me and the others in my party without speaking. We had a clear understanding, I am certain of it."
 
"We are in agreement, Valerius. Don't take my reticence as anything other than disappointment in an old friend. My daughter is more important to me than anything. I am behind anything you suggest that will make this world safe for her."
 
All there nodded in agreement.




 



Recognized


The feedback and support is wonderful. Any suggestions or input is considered most seriously. Thank you so much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.



The story takes place about 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her.






Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.