General Fiction posted October 18, 2014 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
New villagers get acquainted quickly.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Several Encounters

by michaelcahill




Background
Two souls mated for eternity encounter each other on Earth in various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances, they manage to find each other.
Previously, Julia had an episode in the forest encountering warriors she engaged in battle. Cassius admonished her that it would not bode well if villagers were to see her in such a state. She paused at his insistance. A soldier who only she saw dealt a blow to her that passed right through her doing no harm. This caused her to almost completely shut down due to the shock of the event. Cassius was sent by his father to retrieve Valerius to treat her. We continue the story as Cassius finds Valerius just outside of the physician's home.









~~~~~~~Cassius encounters Valerius
 

"Whoa! Slow down boy. I don't recall telling you to enter a foot race just yet!" Valerius intercepted Cassius as he ran down the pathway. Valerius had just stepped out of his home. "What brings you here in such haste?"
 
"Julia, sir. She has taken ill, or had an episode I suppose. She is unreachable. She was engaged in battle… well, in her way of thinking anyway, I implored her that others might see… you know, like you and Trellitia have told us… she stopped and exclaimed something… a sword it seems… in her mind you understand… "
 
"Hold on, Cassius. Calm yourself. Now, tell me slowly. She was engaged in a battle that only she perceived, is that correct?"
 
"Yes, exactly. She stopped at my urging, lest anyone see her. It was at that point she imagined a sword passing through her body. It shocked her that it caused no damage. I think it caused damage to her mind. She has not spoken or made a motion to acknowledge anything since. She is blank to the world if that makes sense, sir."
 
"I see. You were wise to come to me although I worry about the liberties you have taken with your injury. But, it seems to have performed quite well. I have someone for you to meet. My new assistant. Then we will tend to Julia. This may be a good thing, Cassius. You are a good brother to look out for her wellbeing. I am proud to know you and call you friend."
 
Cassius was calmed and joined Valerius in walking back to meet Lourdes.
 
"Lourdes. Come quick. It appears we are called into service already. This is my friend, Cassius. His sister, Julia, is a special patient of mine. You will find her interesting. I think Florentina might enjoy her company as well. Julia sees things that others do not, just as she does. It may be a comfort to both of them to find they are not alone."
 
"Most pleased to meet you, Cassius. You do well by your sister in coming to seek aid for her. A fine brother indeed. I was not blessed with a brother and I am afraid that I am alone in the world with my daughter. My husband fell victim to the war."
 
"I will be pleased to be at your service. We are a small village here, Lourdes, but we watch out for each other and you will be important to us in your new position. It will be nice to see Valerius here more organized and not shouting instructions to distraught family members." He laughed heartily and Valerius was quick to join him. Lourdes joined in as well when she realized it was all in fun.
 
She gathered up Florentina at the doctor's suggestion and they all moved quickly toward the home of Abramus where Julia awaited their attention. Valerius did well to calm Cassius in spite of his own concern regarding Julia.
 
"Watch your leg, Cassius. It wouldn't do well for your sister if I had to pause in my treatment to repair your leg again." Valerius smiled warmly. I feel like galloping like a steed in battle myself, but I must set a sensible pace… hysteria is not the order of the day here.
 

~~~~~~~Thurston and Leopold on the road to the parish
 

"The big city was exciting, Thurston. I'm not one to be dazzled by such things, but the history contained there is to put one in awe of the Lord's work. Rastavius surprised me. I found him at first to be a bit ancient to be honest. But, the spirit shone through his eyes and belied his age. His mind was sharp and the Lord clearly spoke through him."
 
"I am familiar with Rastavius, my friend. I worked in the city for several years before seeking the quiet of our fair village. Rastavius was one to be involved with the many conclaves and Bishops meetings. I am more inclined to a quiet reflection. But, there are matters that bear discussion. I do realize that, Leopold. Much was made of the work of Galen while I was there. Rastavius was at odds with that as I recall." As are you, I have no doubt. Your eyes are wont to leap from your head with fervor.
 
"True, there is perhaps a kernel of truth to the physicians yearning for an herb or poultice to sooth the troubled mind. I honor the heart who cares in such a way. At the same time, we cannot stand idly by and watch a soul in torment find no relief. There is a time when the power of the Lord need be brought to bear." I must watch Thurston. I knew he left the city for a reason. Weakness, I suspect. Perhaps he can be persuaded. He seems inspired by my guidance. "I am always open to discussion and I know you are. That is the strength of our bond I believe."
 
I must not appear to be an adversary. Capitulate and go along to a point or go to war. War is of no value against his kind. "Indeed, my friend. You make a compelling argument. I am always open to an intelligent discussion."
 
They walked along, each with his own agenda. Leopold held his head in confidence. Thurston wisely held his head in humility. A battle of sorts was well under way.
 

~~~~~~~Valerius encounters the two priests on the road
 

Valerius saw the two priests approaching down the road. This was not at all what he wished for. They can't know that this is a mission of urgency. "Listen, everyone." He spoke softly. "I don't wish the priests to be privy to our goings on. We are just out for a walk and a visit. Do you understand? Let me do the talking." All nodded their heads in agreement.
 
Valerius took on a jovial mood. "And then the soldiers returned to find that I had left. Well, little did they know I was but a few feet away behind a stand of trees. Lourdes here was brilliant. Ha! The soldier was ten feet tall if he was an inch. Now, ma'am you say he walked back… No. No, sir… it was a carriage. Yes, a carriage with an important man in it. He took him back… Ahh Leopold! We meet again. We had the good fortune to come upon each other in the great city."
 
"Yes, indeed. I see you are home now as well. You know father Thurston, of course."
 
"Yes, we are acquainted. Let me introduce you to my new assistant. This is Lourdes and her daughter, Florentina. She is recently widowed. She is skilled in medicine and has agreed to assist me as I begin my new career. I am most fortunate that lodging is all she requires as salary to begin with."
 
"Well, that is good news, Valerius. On your way to a call are you?"
 
"No, just a walk in the countryside. We are calling on Abramus by way of introduction, as his son here is my first official patient." Cassius did a little dance step to demonstrate the efficacy of the treatment he had received from Valerius. "Well, we won't detain you any further. Good day to you."
 
"We will see you at services I'm sure and your lovely assistant as well." Leopold smiled, but genuine seemed difficult for him to master anymore. Thurston, however, managed to put forth a friendly and welcoming smile to all concerned.
 
Both parties continued on their respective journeys.
 
Valerius sighed. That went well. I could feel the wheels turning in Leopold's head.
 
"Aaaaaaahhhhh! Mother! They have returned. Protect me!" Florentina screamed out loudly as she envisioned wolves in the pathway. Cassius jumped back having no idea what was going on. Valerius ran at the imagined wolves, waving his arms and within moments, Florentina joined him. By the time the priests returned, Valerius and the little girl were laughing.
 
"What is it child? You screamed with such terror. Are you hurt? Did you see something?" Leopold looked upon the little girl with great suspicion. It was not a kind look.



 



Recognized



Truly excellent ideas coming with almost every review as well as great encouragement. This is one of the most enjoyable writes I have done. Thank you.

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.



The story takes place about 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.