General Fiction posted October 16, 2014 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Leopold Home, Lourdes gets job, Thurston an ally.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Leopold Is Home, Valerius Will Be

by michaelcahill




Background
Two souls attracted to each other meet over and over on Earth unaware that they are soulmates. In spite of impossible circumstances they find each other over and over again.
Previously, Valerius and Lourdes walked along the road home. Florentina became hysterical upon seeing wolves on the road that she perceived were going to attack her. No one but her saw them. She claimed that they had eaten her brother. Lourdes informed Valerius that Florentina had no brother. Valerius ran at where he thought Florentina saw the wolves and chased them off. We pick up now as Leopold arrives back in the village.















~~~~~~~Leopold arrives in the village
 

Leopold made good time back to the village. The parish provided a carriage for the priests in cases of church business. He had been somewhat deceptive in his procurement of it. He went under the guise of seeking funding for impoverished villagers who had no means to procure a proper burial. The church collected a tidy donation for its services when it came to sending the deceased into the waiting arms of the Lord. The voluntary donations were hardly voluntary. But, there were those who had no funds and the church was obliged to provide its services nonetheless.
 
Leopold had his own agenda. He sought information on demon possession and found what he sought. He brought back funding as well as extra credibility among the church leaders concerning other matters. There was a growing concern among the church that demons ran wild throughout the countryside and the church should be at the forefront of the battle against the legion of Satan. There were other voices too. There were those that knew of Hippocrates, Galen and some of the great physicians of past days who had treated diseases of the mind successfully and proven them to be an ailment not of the devil at all. Fervor is always more passionate than sense. It shouts loudly and is hard to ignore. Sense can be lost in the great din of righteousness.
 
Leopold was once a reasonable man. He was becoming less and less so with each new set of ears who paid homage to his new rhetoric. The more he was fed, the more he hungered. In such ways fanatics are born. His rise to prominence in the village hierarchy was swift and his views on demons and the danger of Satan's power came to be the predominant thinking of his parish.
 
The times were ripe for fanaticism. It seemed there was always a major meeting of church officials getting together to determine the exact definition of something. Their safest place to be was on the outskirts in a village. But, even there danger lurked at the beck and call of whatever fervent priest decided there was a need for it.
 
"I worry, Leopold, about bringing attention to our little parish. Such things can have a way of turning a different corner than expected. The times are wrought with change and not all of it seems sensible. How can four different decrees say four different things and claim them to be the divine word of God?" Thurston was older than Leopold by a little, but looked to be considerably his senior. He had spent many years in Constantinople and considered it a blessing to be somewhat banished to this small village. He wasn't exactly excommunicated from the church. He was more silenced by his absence from the mainstream of discussion. He voiced his opinion and it didn't agree with what the wanted opinion was.
 
"I hear you, Thurston. I heed your words as always and attention from the madness that permeates the great city would not be to my liking either. However, I don't wish to cower with my head covered in darkness. My conversations with Rastavius were fruitful and I learned much from them. There is nothing to the glory of God in leaving a soul in torture. We are vowed as protectors of the very being of those we minister to. We aren't allowed the luxury of convenience in such matters. Eternity is a most serious matter. That I'm sure you agree with."
 
"Indeed, we are of one mind in that regard."
 
"Then, it follows, that a soul under attack must be defended. The body housing it is secondary. The shell is temporary. It is the soul that should concern us, it is eternal."
 
"I see your logic, Leopold. But, I caution you, a soul in danger is often a subjective matter. A physician might tell you that one you consider to be with demons to be simply ill with a disorder of the mind. It is a matter requiring great care and thought. Would you agree?"
 
"Yes. Of course, I am in full agreement. We are not on a quest. We are merely the instruments of God, here on Earth to do His will, whatever it may be. I always wait for His divine instruction. I am but a lowly priest, I know nothing. It is God himself who guides me."
 
Thurston nodded his head in agreement. I hear you speak. It sounds logical and sane. But, your eyes tell me that the words mean something different to you than they would to me. You have the eyes of a madman. I have met Rastavius. I am happy to be here. Now I am not so sure. "We will continue to talk. These are matters of concern to me as well." Thurston took his leave.
 

~~~~~~~Valerius and Lourdes nearing the village
 

"I have someone who I would like Florentina to meet in my village. She too sees things that others do not see. Perhaps it might be beneficial to your daughter to know that others are like her and she is not alone. It is my feeling that it would be beneficial."
 
Lourdes looked towards the ground. "I… I am unable to compensate you, sir, for your kindness. I am without husband. I, dear Lord, how do I say… I am without dwelling, kind sir. My daughter and I live by our wits in the forest. I hunt and forage for our meals and we make do. It is a blessing in one sense that others don't see my child in her current state. I fear I have troubled her mind with the uncertainty of our existence. My husband was lost to war while she was but an infant. I was little more than a child myself I suppose. But, I have done my best and love her so."
 
"My friend, it is my great pleasure to practice what the good Lord has put upon me to do. There is, no doubt, plenty of assistance one as disheveled as myself will need in my new practice. I am just beginning in practice, you see. I am in need of an assistant to bring me water, sheets, bindings and such. It would mean that you and your daughter would have to take up lodgings on our family farm. A physician is on call and his assistant is as well. I'm afraid that room and board would be the only compensation to begin with. But, in time, I am hopeful that a suitable salary might be forthcoming. Would that arrangement be to your liking?"
 
"Oh sir, yes. Why yes, it would be very much to our liking. I can assure you I am not one to take advantage. I am a hard worker. When not assisting you, I am happy to help in the field or home, wherever I might be needed. My daughter too, is happy to help with chores. She likes to keep busy. Do you mean it sir?"
 
"Yes, of course. I think it would be a splendid arrangement and… "
 
Lourdes couldn’t maintain the pretense of a simple business arrangement. She leapt forward near tears and hugged Valerius tightly. "Oh Florentina, this wonderful man is going to take us to his home. We will do some work for him and live in a real home."
 
Florentina began dancing down the road already intent on composing a song about it.
 

~~~~~~~Trellitia encounters Thurston
 

"Good afternoon, Father Thurston. It has been a good while since I have seen you."
 
"Well, Lady Trellitia, it is so seldom that you leave your home. I do wish you would come to service. There are many who love you and miss you, myself included."




 



Recognized


Wonderful feedback. Thank you so much.


List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.



The story takes place about 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her.




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.