General Fiction posted October 8, 2014 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Talks continue. Julia overhears Persians and tries to help.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Private Talks & Persian Sightings

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soulmates meet repeatedly on Earth and seek each other out in spite of circumstances that make it almost impossible. They are not aware of their connection.
Previously, Valerius met Gregorio the old physician recommended as an instructor by Trellitia. Leopold conferred with Rastavius, an old priest that held with conservative views as far as mental illness. They all met and had an interesting discussion. They parted ways and had private discussions where the topic was how to handle the other's viewpoints. It became apparrent  that Valerius and Leopold would be at odds in the village and Julia would be at the center of things. We continue now as Rastavius and Leopold discuss matters.


~~~~~~~~Back inside the church
 

Leopold and Rastavius walked along with their own thoughts after their encounter with Gregorio and Valerius.
 
Rastavius perceived that they were alone now and tested the waters to gauge the thinking of Leopold. "Young Valerius seems to be an earnest young apprentice. I hope that Gregorio restricts his teachings to that within his field of expertise."
 
"Oh? He is one to expose theories is he?" Leopold sought to test the waters as well.
 
"Well, you have to understand, my friend, that it is in the nature of a healer to be single minded. They are wont to repair and restore. They apply that way of thinking in an almost childlike way. A steed with a broken leg for instance. We both know that it is a cruelty to force a creature to endure the hardship of a life that it cannot tolerate. A horse that cannot be a horse is of little use and it lives a life of unhappiness. We open our hearts to such a creature and end its suffering."
 
"Yes, of course, it is a most human and compassionate act. How cruel to force it into a life of constant agony. A physician, I take it, would be loath to take that route. Perhaps, the thought of a cure or a miracle treatment may cloud his thinking."
 
"Yes, I see you do understand completely. The girl we administered to, I could sense the disapproval of Gregorio without even mentioning the graveness of the circumstances. All he could see, with his simple reasoning, was blood. It is a common failing of Doctors. Mind you, I do not criticize him for it. Indeed, he is a fine physician."
 
Rastavius walked to a sculpture of Christ holding a dove on his finger. He contemplated it. Leopold, too, had his eyes drawn to it as he noticed the interest of his mentor.
 
Rastavius continued, "The young man from your village, you know him well?"
 
"No. Not well. He attends services with his family. His father is well known to me. A pious man that works his land and provides for his family. The young man is given to music and I am somewhat surprised to find a seriousness in him. I think that this is something he is newly come to. I am pleased, of course, that he seeks to be a physician. That is lacking in our village."
 
"This liaison with Gregorio troubles me. I know Trellitia, the widow, as well. Her husband frequented Gregorio's company and I fear they were of a like mind concerning the workings of the church. I admonish you to be diligent with this young man. Gregorio is a powerful man with dangerous thinking. The boy is, no doubt, impressed with his knowledge, as I am sure he is with Trellitia. I suggest you make your thinking known to him. Involve him in the church. I fear that his education may be all too one-sided. That is a danger to the village."
 
"His father is dutiful. I am sure that he will steer him in the right direction… "
 
"Yes, a strong father is important. But, the child often rebels against the firm hand, finding it unreasonable and not to his liking. A natural thing and not unexpected. The cloth of a priest commands a reverence that does not exist within the confines of an earthly family. It must be a presence that is strongly felt by this young physician."
 
"I will see to it. He is but a boy in my eyes. But, boys become men, and obedience to the will of the Lord is best learned young."
 
"We think very much alike, my friend. Remember, Leopold, this is no ordinary boy. This is a physician sure to rise in prominence in the village. He will soon carry a weight of his own. His word may one day rival yours in influence. You will want to see to it that you are in agreement on important matters. He merely tends to bodies. You tend to immortal souls."
 
The words of Rastavius hit home in the heart and mind of Leopold. He left their meeting with a newfound sense of importance. I must see to it that Valerius receives education in the ways of the Lord. No doubt, that Trellitia has his ear in other matters. The old doctor here too, how glorified he must appear to a young man seeking knowledge. I must persist. Leopold quickened his pace homeward. There was work to do.
 

~~~~~~~Julia admonishes Cassius
 

"Cassius! You have given your word. This is a most dangerous path you trod. You walk in the manner of a horse that has ridden in its last battle. You are not steady. I will be forced to get father. You leave me no choice."
 
"I am fine. There is but some stiffness in the joint. Stretching it out can only assist in its healing. I'm simply holding some reins behind a plow. There is no danger in that."
 
"And what if the ox is spooked and bolts? You'd be tossed like a leaf in the wind. Then what of your leg when you land on it?"
 
The small force of soldiers that traveled by the small farm paid no heed to the bickering brother and sister tending crops in the field. They escorted Persian prisoners to Constantinople. Julia paused in the field and watched the procession.
 
"Cassius, they speak of cruelty. They say that these soldiers burned their village to the ground and killed all but these few that march before us. Woman and children, brother. For no reason, long after they had surrendered." Julia began walking towards the party that marched by their farm.
 
"Julia, are you mad? What are you doing?"
 
Julia shouted out in Persian, "Is it true what you say? Children were murdered?"
 
One of the Persians turned her head and replied. "Yes, innocent children. We offered no resistance. Brutally slain for no reason."
 
"Julia, in the name of sense. Stop this at once. The soldiers will hear you. Do you wish to be… "
 
"Would you have me turn my back, Cassius? These are my people. Have you suffered slavery? You would not be so complacent if you had."
 
"What? You've suffered not slavery, Julia." He grabbed her arm and forcefully pulled her away. She fought him. He cleverly cried out in pain and clutched at his leg.
 
"Oh no. Okay. Okay, you may stop pulling. Let me see to your leg." She dropped to the ground and rolled up his pant leg to look at his leg. "It appears sound. Is it causing you pain?"
 
Cassius continued to moan as he watched the troops with their Persian captives round a stand of trees and disappear from view. "It is feeling better now. Perhaps I just strained it a little. You may be correct. It is too early to begin working again. We should return to the house."
 
Julia jumped to her feet. She looked in the direction where the soldiers had been. "Are they gone now? Did you see them? Was it only me that saw them?"
 
Cassius feared that she might take off in pursuit of them. He pondered his answer for a few moments. "Ah… yes, Julia. It appears that it was one of your visions. I'm sorry. I saw nothing myself."
 
"I see. Why did you cry out then?" Julia eyed him with distrust and scrutiny in her eyes.
 
"It was Jonas Martius from over the hill. He drove his cart towards the village. I didn't want him to see you in such a state. I thought he might not understand." He didn't enjoy one lie to cover another lie.
 
"I see. Let's get you home then, whilst you are still in one piece. I'd be loath to explain to father a second injured limb." Now, my own brother hides the truth from me. Perhaps to shield me from trouble he perceives. Well, how can I trust him in these matters?
 
"Julia, how is it that you came to speak Persian? I am not aware of you attending school or receiving private instruction." Cassius seemed quite perplexed.



 



Recognized


Moving along at the pace the story is dictating. Wonderful input and suggestions. I am delighted with the excellent feedback and consider every word carefully. Thank you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.