General Fiction posted October 5, 2014 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Valerius travels to Constantinople for learning.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

A Journey and A Surprise Meeting

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates meet often in various lifetimes on earth. In spite of sometimes dire circumstances they always seem to seek each other out. They have no idea that they are connected.
Previously, Leopold followed the old priest, Rastavious, to an old room which was somewhat of a dungeon where a young prostitute was bound and being admonished for her wicked ways. The old priest explained the nature of demons and the need to sacrifice the young womans life in order to save her soul. The logic of his message somehow got through to Leopold and began to make sense to him. Leopold watched in shock as the old priest plunged a knife into her and took her life. Leopold made no attempt to stop him and even began to understand the necessity of such an act. We resume the story now as we check in on Abramus and his family. Valerius has just left their home and Cassius has just had his leg repaired in an almost miraculous fashion by the young doctor.


~~~~~~~The home of Abramus
 

"I hope you listened to what the doctor has told you, Cassius. It will be a hardship without your strong hands in the field. What were you doing playing in a tree at your age? You are a man now, not a child given to games."
 
Cassius looked down in silence. Is it play to indulge my sister? Would you have me turn my back to her and the visions that she sees? "I only wished to aid Julia, Father. She was given to a vision and I merely attempted to help her with it."
 
Julia seemed to be offended by all of this. "Father, accidents happen. The world is wrought with danger. It is everywhere. Others lost their lives in the hunt, would you that Cassius were one of them? He is lucky, Valerius called upon ancient skills to repair his injured limb. Many have fallen in the hunt. The beast is mighty."
 
Abramus rarely took to anger with Julia. He had come to know that anger served no purpose. She saw what she saw and meant no harm by it. Still, the consequences of it today were dire. Cassius could have fallen to his death today. To die for a vision from a mind that sees things that aren't… "Julia, I do entertain your notions, and I do so far more kindly than most. Do you not see your own brother here? He is flesh and blood sitting before you. Touch him; he is of substance. We can all see and feel that. The hunt and beast that you speak of exist only to you. How are we to understand? If I were to tell you a camel sits at the table waiting for super, what would you make of me, child?"
 
Julia's expression didn't change. "I would tell you that I did not see it. I would not tell you that it is not there. How can I look through your eyes, Father? How can I see what you see? What would a camel expect for supper, Father? What would a camel be doing in our home? You see? Your story is somewhat foolish. A beast near the forest being hunted by hunters for they are hungry, that is a story born of sense. Is it not my story that carries the greater weight?"
 
Abramus tried to gather himself. Pointless! Why do I engage her in these little discourses? 'Well, your point is well founded, daughter. Let's stick to the matter at hand. Now, Cassius, the physician has made us promise to keep you off that leg until he deems it sound. I am ordering you, as your father, to pay heed. I cannot afford to lose you permanently from the fields".
 
"Very well, Father. I will do as you wish. But, I feel as though I am able to help. My leg no longer pains me." Cassius moved his leg and winced in pain. "Well, indeed a few days of rest at least".
 

~~~~~~~The home of Trellitia
 

As always, Valerius arrived in a rush, excited and breathless at the door of his teacher's home.
 
"Do you not understand that you may stroll to my house? I am old, true, but I am not so infirm that my moments are numbered. I expect that you are likely to find me breathing still if you take a more leisurely pace". Trellitia smiled at her eager student. She drifted back in time to a man that approached life in a similar manner, her departed husband.
 
"Letty, I've discovered a moss that is most soothing on the skin. Let me try some here on your leg where those insects have worried you this Spring". He didn't wait for an answer. The potion was quite cold and made Trellitia gasp.
 
"Goodness, dear. The chill of it alone would distract from the discomfort. What in the world is it?"
 
"It is a moss that grows under lily pads in the marshes outside of the forest. I have applied some to my sore hands and found great relief". He flexed his hands rapidly. "See, no pain whatsoever.
 
"Madame Trellitia? You seem to have abandoned the present for the moment. Will you be inviting me in, or may I join you in whatever pleasant spot you have drifted to?" Valerius smiled as she refocused her eyes on him.
 
"Oh, just an old lady remembering. When you reach an age, boy, you will have things to occupy your mind when in need of an escape. Well, if you are lucky that is".
 
"You should have been there. You would have been proud of your student today. His limb was mangled severely. I pictured it in my mind as though I was inside of it. I could see the inner workings of it. I grabbed it and twisted it into a normal shape. The pain took the whole of the clan to hold him down. It snapped as though what had been broken became unbroken. I restored it to normal. I did not even know that it was possible. Dumb luck, I suppose".
 
"Impressive, child. You have the instinct that my late husband possessed. He was such a healer. It would just come over him like that. Much of what I will teach you came to him in like manner. First though, I want you to travel to Constantinople and visit Gregorio. He is a friend to my husband. He is ancient now, more than even me. But, he is sound and of a thinking that is rare to find. Your studies will continue with him".
 
"But, my patient. I must tend to him… I must see to it that… ".
 
"Boy, now I am in charge of your learning. You will do as I say. I have obtained your word in this matter. I am fully able to check on the boy. He thinks me a witch anyway. He will be loath to risk my will lest I turn him to worm for a bird to have its way with". She laughed heartily at that. It did have the sound of something foreboding when she laughed.
 
Valerius knew too much of her tender side to be fooled by the wicked sound of her laughter. He laughed along with equal good cheer. "Very well, your point is well taken. I will do as you request. I have never been to the great city. Indeed, I have never left our village. It excites me to think of it".
 

~~~~~~~Constantinople
 

The estate of Gregorio the Physician stood near the church. He practiced the healing arts as he had nearly all of his life. At sixty-two-years, he was considered ancient. He displayed no evidence of such advanced years upon greeting Valerius.
 
"I had my eyes set for someone more elderly in appearance".
 
"I am pleased at your surprise". Gregorio extended his hand and gripped tightly the outstretched hand of Valerius. "You seek instruction?"
 
"Yes, Trellitia sends me".
 
"Indeed. I am aware of you". Gregorio considered this young man. Earnest and eager served him well in the eyes of this learned man. "I have business at the church. You will join me. It is not of great consequence. I check on the various clergy from time to time. It is mostly to put their minds to ease. I have, on occasion, discovered conditions that require my skills. It will give you a chance to meet some people".
 
"Very well, I would be excited to witness you in action".
 
Gregorio had no reaction to the remark of Valerius. He turned to leave and clearly expected Valerius to follow, which he did.
 

~~~~~~The entrance to the church
 

"Welcome, Gregorio. All seems to be well here, but I suspect if you agree we can state that with greater confidence".
 
Gregorio smiled with affection. "My friend, I never expect to find anything but the warmth of friendship here. That I already feel in abundance".
 
"There is one small matter. Father Rastavius appears ill to me though he denies it. I am hoping that you might give me an opinion without, of course, alarming him".
 
"Yes. I would consider it but a small favor from one that I owe so many to already. I recall Father Rastavius. Is he still given to a somber countenance?"
 
"Yes, he takes his vows most seriously. He is nonetheless, a wonderful and caring servant of our Father. It would put my mind at ease knowing he is well".
 
Gregorio and Valerius were escorted through the church to a garden with a grand pond running the length of it. There were several multi colored fish in it. Gregorio had seen it before, but Valerius had never seen it or anything near the like of it.
 
"There sits Rastavius near the pond. I know not the name of his guest, but I am sure he will make the necessary introductions".
 
"Father Rastavius, you recall Doctor Gregorio. This is his friend, Valerius whom he is training."
 
At the sound of that name, Father Leopold turned quickly. "Valerius, the world is ever shrinking. How pleased I am to find a familiar face here in this grand city".



 



Recognized


This continues to expand. The story goes where it goes, I suppose. Wonderful feedback as always. Great reviews filled with ideas and suggestions all downloaded to Word for future editing. Thank you so much.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.