General Fiction posted September 30, 2014 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Valerius hears advice from Trellitia. Cassius is injured.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Heaven Observes, the Mammoth Returns

by michaelcahill




Background
Two souls meet on Earth in various lifetimes. Though they are soulmates, they are unaware of having met before in each lifetime. Heaven observes.
 
Previously, Valerius encountered Julia in town and discussed treating her with her father. Julia recognized him from their several lifetime's together though she had no understanding of that being the case. She had memories of events and considered everything to be a part of the life she lived. Valerius, though he had no memories of any past encounter with her, was nonetheless immediately attracted to her. He took it to be due to her beauty and his interest in her as a patient. He vowed that he would keep their relationship strictly as a doctor and patient. He ran to his mentor, Trellitia, to seek further instruction. He especailly had an interest, now, in treating mental illness. We continue now with reactions from Heaven to what is transpiring and then return to the story as Trellitia advises Valerius on matters concerning being a doctor.




~~~~~~Home, known to you as Heaven

 
Note: The narrator is named Magic Felix for those who might be dropping in late to the story. He is a soul much like the other souls in Heaven. He returns to Earth whenever he is sent, lives his life and then returns. Unlike the other souls, he has total recall of all lifetimes in Heaven and is aware of being a soul from Heaven when he is human. Suffice to say that while he isn't in charge, he is nonetheless by far the most knowledgeable of all the souls and possibly the oldest. It is he that tells the various stories.
 


The lives of Vi and Sam on Earth had been of interest to us in Heaven for some time now. I suppose it might have been their roots in the most ancient of origins. Only I recall a time before them. Bonding between souls is not uncommon. Bonding under the circumstances that these two sometimes find themselves in is quite unusual. We are not judgmental in Heaven. We understand that being born into a life of slavery precludes a bonding with a slave master. Needless to say, it was surprising to us that Tibertin and Allutia even attempted to pursue each other under the circumstances. It is surprising now, as I tell the story of Valerius and Julia, that a young man becoming a doctor is able to overcome every instinct and sensible fact that is ingrained in his brain. He is able to look upon a woman considered insane and feel love. It is not something we have seen before. We have never seen a woman like Julia afflicted with memories of past lives dating back to antiquity be able to handle those memories without going completely insane. Well, I like to talk. It is what we do here. We talk, contemplate, and make fun of each other even. But, it is in a way that a human would not understand. We laugh together. We always laugh together. The poem that Valerius wrote for Julia is considered one of the finest romantic writings ever written. None of you or anyone in the last fifteen hundred years has even heard it before. It matters here. This is where everything of value lasts. Okay, are you back from your coffee break now? very well, the fabulous Magic Felix will enthrall you another time with more astonishing wisdom. For now, we return to the story.
 

~~~~~~~Valerius at Trellitia's cottage
 

"Now, lad, let's get to work. What do you know of music?"
 
Valerius smiled. His family had little interest in music. He sometimes wondered if he had not been hatched in a dragon's egg and borne by a clever falcon to the doorstep of his father's home. He took to music at a young age. He played the signaling horns of the military as though he had seen battle on a regular basis. He had found a battered horn in his father's fields while harvesting. In short order, he had mastered it. He rivaled any seasoned soldier by the age of nine. He played several instruments and was given to inventing songs about all manner of things. A dove alighting on the rooftop might give way to a chorus or two right off the top of his head. His family was amused, but saw no purpose in it. He did his work and seemed a more willing worker when accompanied by his verse. His father didn't discourage what served the farm well.
 
"Well, son, have you fallen into a spell of melancholy? Music, boy. What do you know of music?"
 
Valerius shook off his daydream. "I am knowledgeable. The horns and wind instruments, strings as well, I am strong of voice and clever of verse."
 
"Music is known to have a calming effect on the troubled or angered mind. I recommend it for your patient, as she seems a creative sort. A mind like that of Julia's does not know rest. It twists and turns as a river through a canyon. But, with her, there are many rivers. They all flow until they converge… and then they overflow, spilling over the banks. Music slows the relentless flow. Each river moves more peacefully and the banks are not rushed with flooding. Are you following this, Valerius? The simple act of labor can achieve that effect. You tire the mind and the torment slowly lessons. My husband encouraged her artwork. She was quite talented. But her renditions were all of things from her mind. Made up visions that only she saw. Creatures of her own making. strange beings that resembled men, but looked more like animals. It disturbed her father greatly, but in truth, the treatment was effective."
 
"What about herbs and medicines? I have heard tell of certain potions that quiet the mind and bring about a clarity of thought."
 
"In time. All of these things cannot be imparted to you in an afternoon. There are things to discover on your own. Knowledge to discover from distant lands. My husband knew no boundaries when it came to healing. Whatever would be of assistance was welcome. I know of no other Roman physician that called upon the knowledge of the Persians. But, he did. He didn't see the sense to extending war beyond the field of battle. These are all manners of thought that I impart to you for your information. I don't mean to suggest how you approach your own life, Valerius. I will say that my husband was the most honorable man I have known and you will hear the very same thing from most that knew him. I see his spirit in you, child. The moment I saw you, your yearning for the healing knowledge, I knew that I would have to leave the prison of my grief and live once more."
 
Valerius seldom quelled his never-ending stream of questions. Something resonated inside of him when Trellitia spoke. A need to listen to every word and embrace them came over him. "I listen, teacher. I listen with a keen ear for I know you speak of truth. Your husband was a man well thought of by all. His reputation follows him in the words of all whom I encounter. I can be only humbled that you would find any of his favor in myself."
 
"Now, hear me, Valerius. There is danger in your path, especially with the girl. The thinking of the realm is that God giveth and God taketh away. It is a thinking that brands a physician a conjurer interfering with the natural order of God's plan. Leopold considers that girl the voice of the devil himself. He holds great sway amongst the villagers. On a farm, far from the madding crowd, she is not readily brought to mind. In these times, the day to day takes dominion over any quest that might occur. But, a threat that walks the streets in full view of the sun, that is another matter. Are you understanding me?"
 
"Yes, I have advised Abramus in that matter just as you say. I hear your words. So sad, would not a wise God expect a curiosity to be pursued. Why would He create mankind to sit in a stupor awaiting the inevitable? All are born differently, some are men, some women, some of small stature, some tall, some clever, some dim-witted, who are we to decide which the Almighty favors? Does God compel a man to fall from great height? Does he require us to watch as he suffers and provide no relief? No. What other conclusion could a reasonable man arrive at?"

 
~~~~~~~Julia near the forest on the farm
 

"FATHER! Come quick. Summon the physician. The beast has thrown Cassius from the tree!" Julia bent over Cassius. He grimaced in pain. The wound on his leg oozed blood and looked to be serious. She removed her scarf and held it against the wound. "This will help stem the flow of your life forces, Cassius. Father will send for the physician. He will know what to do."
 
Cassius gazed up at his sister. He had given up trying to rise against her forceful protest. The pressure she applied to his injury provided some comfort. "Thank you, I will be patient."
 
Julia looked at the scene in front of her. The beast had fled, as had all of those still able. The other bodies lay there unmoving. She expected that they were dead. Where did you all come from? So sad to die here like this. We are poor, but we would have offered food. She looked back at Cassius. He was sweating and had a grimace. He was in pain.
 
Abramus arrived in the cart, jumped off and dropped to his knees. "Are you all right son? You appear to have put quite the hurt on your leg. The physician has been sent for. I think it best to get you to the house where it is warm." He looked at Julia who rose to help him.
 
Julia sat in the back of the cart with Cassius and continued to apply pressure to the wound. She looked back at the field and noticed that the dead bodies were no longer there. She thought nothing of it. Such was the way of things in her world.



 




Thank you for the great input. I appreciate any input. If something isn't ringing true or leaving you disappointed, PLEASE let me know. I often have questions myself if I am taking the right direction or if something is working. Criticism is fine! It all helps a great deal. If something sucks, tell me so I can unsuck it! Hahaha.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.