Biographical Non-Fiction posted September 30, 2014 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Seeing my Dad, 1st time in 6 years.

A chapter in the book The Little Dog That Wouldn't Let Go

Tasmanian Trip- End of School

by Sankey




Background
I don't know why I passed History in the Fourth Form (Year 10 for you modern folks) School Certificate, but Doyle had absolutely no part in that pass for sure.

Ch 7 Word.
Making my way through High School. A lot of great teachers. I was a bit of a loner with a small group of "friends??"  I had been exempted from Phys Ed due to hearing problems. My mum was worried that seeing I only had hearing on one side, any concussion in contact sport might make me lose hearing altogether.

The big event in my life during Third Form was the visit of my yet unseen father (for the previous six years, at least). It raised a whole lot of hopes in my heart and mind, at the time, Mostly that perhaps he was coming home, FOR GOOD! Not so!

It was a heart-rending, and tearful further parting, as dad left. He had visited for about an hour. I guess the only good thing that came out of his visit was his support and payment for my big trip to Tasmania, about the middle of the year. I think he and mum must have talked about this plan, privately, somehow, as his visit was not all that much earlier than the actual trip.

The Tasmanian holiday was on the occasion of the National Christian Endeavour Convention, held in Launceston, the number 2 city of Tasmania - our southern island state, off the mainland. On the day of departure, my sister picked me up, and together with her 2 children and 2 others she was caring for, that day took me into the city airline Terminal. From there the coach transported us to the airport, where we boarded a plane for the 3 hour trip to Launceston.

We broke the flight in Melbourne, Victoria, our Southern mainland State. The purpose of the break was to pick up more for the Convention, as the flight was a special charter for the group. We were to spend a week, or it might have been ten days in Launceston. A long time ago now, hard to sort it out in my mind. This included morning meetings most days and afternoon tours around the nearby areas of Launceston.

At that time in Launceston, there were trolley buses in the streets. Some years before, the trams had ceased in Sydney. where I understand we also had trolleybuses at one time, but I never saw them as they were mainly operating in our southern suburbs. I lived on the north side. There was a time they operated concurrently with the trams in Sydney. Another thing I remember about the time in Tasmania, was the extreme cold IN MAY! Our Winter did not commence until June. Also,  it was much milder on the mainland, seeing Tasmania was a lot closer to Antarctica than we folks on the Eastern seaboard of the mainland.

Each morning at our billet family, the Dell's home, in Penquite Road, Newstead, we awoke to quite cold conditions. These included quarter inch thick ice on Mr Dell's motor car windows. They would take us to the meetings each day. Then we would go off on our planned afternoon tour. Returning for an evening meal and meeting each night.

There was a mystery tour one afternoon, turned out to be to the Cataract Gorge. What amazed me was the afternoon tea on offer, that day. Ice creams and soft drinks, or soda as they are called in the USA. I would have thought it might have been more appropriate to provide us with Buns and Cocoa or Hot Chocolate!

At the end of the convention, there was to be a major venture. It was to be a rail tour on the Tasman Limited train. It would be an 11-hour trip, one way, to Hobart, the Capital of Tasmania. History bears out the wrong decision I made not to take part in that trip. It was not all that long after, the Tasman Limited ceased regular passenger trips to Hobart. Today the trip only occurs on special occasions and is now run by a volunteer group. Most of the public rail services ceased in Tasmania sometime after that visit we made.

I cashed in my tickets and stayed in Launceston to see one of the first runs of "Sound Of Music" with Julie Andrews, in Australia. I guess you know I remember that surrendered Tasman Limited trip, now, all those years ago, every time I see 'Sound of Music.' After this, it was back to school again.

It must have been some time after Dad's visit to us, he wrote to my Mum and invited us to all come up to North Queensland to live in Townsville with him. This correspondence and some interesting angles on it will be referred to later on, in this book.

In the Music Class, there were only 5 of us. We were all pretty good at music. For some reason, Miss Thomas decided we all should only attempt the 'Credit' level exam in the School Certificate. We had no ability to change her recommendation. So what happens? All five of us finished the Exam in half the allotted 2 hours. We all passed at Credit Level. All that would have been needed for the Advanced level would be to write a couple of Essays on a couple of Composers. I forget who they were, now but pretty sure they were composers we knew a lot about.

More on the Music Class. By early Third Form, It became known to the other *Music Master (also a sometimes Conductor of the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, back then) - that I had what is known as 'Perfect Pitch.'  So he often sent word to me to come down to the Assembly hall to assist in tuning up our School Orchestra. *Mr. L. B., I was pretty sure - had designs on me becoming a conductor...not a bus conductor ok.

He had arranged for me to take Violin lessons with Miss Thomas and a gaggle of girls. I don't know if I quit because of all the girls in the class. They were mostly all 'good lookers' as well. However, I was not, at that time, of a mind to think of the fairer sex as being approachable. Let me assert here, I was not 'gay.'

There is more information on my 'physical situation' in reference to the ladies, in later chapters.  I now know Mr B's plan was to get me learning Violin with the possibility of being part of an orchestra someday, even First Violinist in the Orchestra, who ultimately became second only to the Conductor in position, in the orchestra.Not 'Perfect Pitching' anymore, now, sadly.

Even though my hearing deteriorated, later on, it was not realised way back then, that there was absolutely no hope of my becoming a conductor of an orchestra. With the good hearing on only one side at that time, I could not get the proper balance right across any orchestra.

I did have the option during that last year to take a 'Bursary' Exam. This would have, had I been successful, provided funding from our Commonwealth Government for me to continue on to the last two Senior years of High School. Due to the operation, I was to have, it could not be planned suitably. I could have taken the exam in Hospital, or at home. But we did not know when I was going to be in the Hospital or when I would be recovering at home afterwards.

In the photo of my fourth and final year of high school, I was not too long out of the hospital, from my second operation. Hence looking a bit sickly. I was also not sleeping well for many years with a sleeping disorder we never knew about till many years later. I had a kind teacher who used to allow me to absent myself to the sick bay on most Friday afternoons.

Quite honestly I was not really keen to do those extra years, even had I done the bursary exam and been successful. My excuse being, it would not be fair on Mum to support me another two years at a school. As of several years back, (now speaking in 2016)  our high schoolers no longer have the option to leave after Year 10, anymore. They must go all the way to Year 12.

On my last day of High School and Schooling in general, on 'Muck Up' Day, Miss Thomas wrote on my shirt 'THE LOST CHORD'... she was probably right in many ways, but definitely NOT as far as music was concerned in those days.

On the private music side; I got right through to Fifth Grade with my last music teacher, the same year I did my Final Exams at High School. (1967.) Sadly, Mr Hunter, whom I really liked a lot got a transfer through the Education Department (he was also a Maths teacher.) He was moved all the way out West to rural Orange. So that was the end of my tuition in Piano for another year or so.

In more recent times there have been various discussions on the history of Ryde High, on Social Networks. Following are some titbits of discussions about different things concerning our old 'Alma Mater'

RYDE HIGH
Discussion on Facebook with another old RHS student.... their comments
I did attend the 85 Silver Jubilee and some have said Ryde closed the year after now you have suggested it was still open in 87??
We were the last Year 12 through the joint I believe- they were sure glad to see us finish high school!!!!

My reply: "Were they starting to as the expression was in the old Hotel* movie when the offer to sell was not accepted..."CLOSE THE PLANT DOWN" around you?
My comment re our "school mag"...."Does anyone remember the 'Amity' Magazine*?' I was not sure if it came out each year? We got to make contributions to it. It was presented very nicely. Not sure if it was done each year? " There was no response.

"Anyone remember the scaffolding under the stairs for years and years?" No comment.                                                               



Recognized


Names have been changed to protect the individuals referred to. Pictures list: Top Left: Form 3b I am in the third row and second in from the right; Top Middle: My first bulky knit jumper I would take to Tasmania also. I loved that jumper; Top Right: My Dad this photo was taken 2 yrs after his visit. Second Left: Plan of Australia showing the location of Tasmania, our Island State; Second Middle: My sister and my nephew and niece with two kids my sister was looking after that day - at the City Airline Terminal preparing to get me on the coach for the Tasmania trip. Notice the posh Car Coat I was wearing that day. I had to get down to 8 stone, (112lbs) to earn that coat from Mum; Second Right: Map of Tasmania - Launceston, Tasmania's Second City on the map, near the top of the island and about 3/4 the way across; Third Left: Form 4b, my final year of school I am on the second row from the front and second from the right. I don't know what happened to the photo's quality.

Interesting info on the Music teacher I mentioned Mr Leonard Burtenshaw.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sankey All rights reserved.
Sankey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.