Fantasy Fiction posted September 17, 2014 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The armies converge as forces form and deploy.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Born Enemies: New Tactics

by michaelcahill




Background
Two souls meet through time in various lives. They are unaware of their connection when they are human, but their connection draws them together somehow.
Previously, Allutia's mind was at odds with her heart. Her attraction to Tibertin made no sense to her, yet she could not deny it. It permeated her dreams and touched parts of her that were difficult to speak of with words. Her mind was strong and realized that she was a slave and made captive by him. Her loyalty was to her people and she freely employed that loyalty on their behalf.
 
Tibertin found it difficult to get Allutia out of his mind as well. But, the impending battle served as a distraction. He decided to meet the Persian troops led by Artabanus in the valley as they marched towards the city. It was a bold move that would surprise the Persians. He also sent scouts ahead with horns to further confuse the enemy. We continue now, as Artabanus urges his troops forward towards the city. He hopes to clear the valley to avoid being boxed in, and to reach the city and find Tibertin unprepared.


"Move lively! Forward! Our people await their freedom." Allutia, my child, your father comes for you. Artabanus had spoken of vengeance on Tibertin for many years. Though the Roman was unaware of Allutia's lineage, it mattered not. The deed was done, nonetheless. His own daughter, a slave. Year after year, his mind churned with unspeakable possibilities at the hand of Tibertin. "Lively, I say! The hand of vengeance will not be delayed!"
 
Prath observed his commander and friend discreetly. Many a conversation had led up to this moment of epiphany. A cool head, Artabanus. A cool head in battle wins wars. It is you that says so. Prath worried that his friend's obsession with vengeance might cloud his thinking on the field of battle. Tibertin was ferocious, but he was clever too. They would all have to be of a clear mind. I am here, my friend. Together, the day will be ours. "Forward now! Destiny awaits no man! Your general has commanded. Forward!"
 
The Persian troops moved at a remarkable clip in perfect formation. Once engaged, they were relentless. The troops were divided into smaller divisions and the divisions into smaller battalions. They over lapped in their attack and the result was a relentless barrage. When the Persians attacked the arrows never ceased their flight.
 
Prath drew near Artabanus. "They move with unheard of swiftness. We will be clear of the valley in less than two hours I estimate."
 
"Well done, my friend. They may yet be surprised. The troops from the south may ride into a city that is already ours."
 
From the mountains due east the sound of horns pierced the air.
 
Artabanus jerked upright on his mount. "What's this? A call to battle? But… At the ready! Battle formations! Draw your bows." He nodded towards Prath who sat atop his horse unmoving.
 
The nod of his commander sent Prath into action. "Now. Formations. Every archer with drawn bow. Prepare for battle!"
 
With shocking speed, the entire Persian army turned and faced the mountains to the east. Arms were at the ready and all bows were drawn and ready to fire. The enemy would face the full force of Persian resolve.

 
~~~~~~~~The mountains above the Persian position
 

"What if they decide to investigate?"
 
"Well, I would imagine that we best not tarry to find out. I never would've believed it. The entire Persian army facing a mountain to do battle."
 
"It is a sight. Perhaps they think the Roman army has sprouted wings, or taken on hooves like a mountain goat."
 
"Off then, before they think to discover for themselves."
 

~~~~~~~~The Persians in the valley
 

"This can't be, Artabanus. There is no army in those mountains. It is a ruse. To what end, I cannot say."
 
"He delays us, Prath. He delays us. We stop here at the ready for a battle that will not come. We send scouts to investigate a ghost. All to delay." Why? What do you gain? Time to prepare? "Prepare to march! Forward."
 
The troops formed into marching units as quickly as they had become battle ready. The march on the city began anew.
 
"Well played, General. Nothing but a ghost. Nothing to waste our time with."
 
About ten minutes passed. The entire force once again marched at full speed towards the city. Once again, the sound of battle horns sounded piercing the chill in the air. But now they sounded directly to the rear of the force from the open valley.
 
"Come about! To arms and at the ready. The enemy approaches from the rear! Prepare for battle."
 
"They may not march down a mountainside, Prath, but certainly they can march through a valley. Where might they have been hiding? How could our scouts have missed an army and allowed them to flank us. Be sharp and listen to my commands!" Artabanus dismounted his steed and bid Prath do likewise.
 
The troops remained in formation. No enemy was sighted nor did any evidence of an enemy approach make itself manifest.
 
"Send scouts ahead. I want to know the size of their forces. Send scouts forward as well, I suspect a trap. I don't put it beyond Tibertin to bring the fight to us. A perfect trap, right here in this valley. The mountain's that provide us safe passage become our tomb. Tell them, swiftly. We may advance to greet one or the other."
 
"Forward can be our only option, General, as I see it. Whatever forces lie behind us are forces that don't wait to greet us. That weakens Tibertin to my way of thinking."
 
"We agree, Prath. Once again, my friend, we speak with the same voice. Return to formation! Forward! Forward to the city without delay. We shan't be stopping for horns again. Forward!"
 

~~~~~~~~Tibertin's troops. About an hour from the valley.
 

"Push. We must make the valley while they are still inside. Forward!" Tibertin surveyed his forces and felt a surge of pride. He sang, "The scourge of battle comes to call, not one will stand, each one shall fall. Upon my sword, their blood shall dry. Make peace with your gods, your end is nigh!"
 
His troops had become used to the sound of Tibertin's singing. It was not common even in a civilian setting. The Romans did have plays and music, but most of the arts were assimilated from races that the Romans had conquered. Tibertin was unique among military men. His men felt a surge of strength when they heard his words. Some would sing along if the battle was thought to be hotly contested. Today was such a day. It served to unnerve the enemy who were unlikely to have encountered such a thing before.
 

~~~~~~~~~The Northwest gate to the slave's quarters
 

Flautarvus decided that a few moments from his post would go unnoticed. The slaves seemed to be preoccupied today. Another Persian day of celebration. Is there a day they don't celebrate? He sought refreshment from the noon day sun. The northwest gate was unshielded and left guards victim to the elements. A ladle of well water would suffice until the end of his watch.
 
Martius was a lad of great curiosity and knew of no life other than the life here within the slave quarters. He had been born here and orphaned when his mother died giving birth under trying conditions. The slaves were busy making plans for the coming invasion. Martius had his run of the place and being a curious sort was taking full advantage of his freedom.
 
Flautarvus knew him well and looked favorably upon him, as did most of the Roman guards. They delighted in his antics and he was a bright spot in an otherwise dull existence. Martius skipped towards the northwest gate seeking his friend. To Martius, Flautarvus was a giant of mythical proportions. Yet, Martius always emerged victorious in their imaginary battles, often slaying the giant with embarrassing swiftness.
 
Today, it seemed Flautarvus had added a new sense of mystery to their ongoing battles. He had hidden himself, no doubt ready to launch a surprise attack! Martius approached the northwest gate barely able to contain his excitement. He pushed on the large gate, which opened with surprising ease. He entered the courtyard and scanned the surroundings for his nemesis. He had hidden himself with great skill for Martius could not find hide nor hair of him. He crept toward a statue of a Roman warrior and peeked around the base of it silently seeking a clue.



 



Recognized


Been off line. At the library to put a chapter up so you don't forget me. Back on line soon I hope. Thanks for all your help!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.