General Fan Fiction posted September 11, 2014 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The battle rages on...

A chapter in the book Love and Phoenix Tears

Hogsmeade II

by Allieas



Background
The Harry Potter fanfiction I started a few years ago...

Last Chapter: "Lily - try and get the younger years to the Hog's Head! I got this one, don't worry!" He whirled around, sending a red slash of light toward the woman, who blocked it easily and sent her own spell back at him; Sirius ducked. The pair danced around one another and Lily caught the site of two younger years running from a side street toward a locked building - she wanted to worry about Sirius, and to help him, but she knew she had to go -- it was her duty as Head Girl to keep the younger years safe. She hoped James and Mary were safe, and took one last glance at Sirius, who was now back to back with Remus and another boy she only knew by appearance - and took off toward the younger children to shepherd them over to the Hog's Head. She questioned how the Hog's Head could possibly be safe, but Sirius had been wearing a look of absolute certainty as he spoke. Without another word, she ran off in the direction of the Hog's Head, scanning the streets for students.

---

Lily scrambled about Hogsmeade, gathering students as she went and shepherding them toward the Hog's Head. Emmaline Vance, a poorly-concealed expression of blind-terror flaming behind her cerulean eyes, came jogging through the chaos to meet her.

"Where are all of the professors?" she demanded in a tone that would have sounded rude at any other time, but made sense given the chaos of the situation. Lily had been wondering the very same thing, but had no answer.

"I have no idea," She admitted, walking, talking, and dragging two terrified third years while keeping an eye on the three fourth years who were trailing along beside, looking around at the scene wildly. It seemed that nobody was noticing the seven Hogwarts' students as they traveled toward the spotty old pub. Perhaps she should go look for the professors. Emmaline was more than capable of watching over the younger years, and James and Mary had made a few appearances in the past several minutes, grabbing a student or two and disapparating once more, to where she had no idea.

-:-

James half-dragged the fifth year Hufflepuff boy up the path to his family's manor house and shoved him through the front door, where his mother was taking each of the students to an elaborately shielded storage building through the back entrance of the home. "How many more, dear?" She questioned, weary; she had greeted him with mingled pleasant surprise and fear when he had appeared with Mary and the young Hogwarts student nearly an half-hour earlier. She was happy to see her only son and the pride of her life, but distressed at his appearance when he was supposed to be at school.

"I'm not sure," James admitted. "I've got to go back." He raised his wand.

"Be careful, James!" Mrs. Potter begged; she was old for a parent of a seventeen-year-old, and stress had aged her further, between having a son who participated in as many shenanigans as did James and brewing tensions in the Wizarding World.

"Love you, mum," James flashed her his biggest smile, and was about to apparate once more when his father strode over to him, appearing out of nowhere.

"Where is Albus Dumbledore?”

"I don't know. A meeting, I heard."

"Of course, of course..." He turned to his wife, but before that James caught a fleeting look that told him his father was privy to more information than he led on. "I'm going to help, perhaps you should tell Andromeda and Ted? They can bring 'Dora here." She nodded and gave her only family a pained expression before steering the Hufflepuff toward the back door.

James turned to step out of the door, where he would be able to apparate, but his father put a wizened hand on his shoulder, stopping him. James turned back to face the older wizard just as a small bottle with a golden liquid zoomed into his hand. Of course, his father had a potion for everything. James fought to squash his feelings of annoyance and anxiety at being held back.

"What's that, dad? I really want to get back-"

"I know, son," Mr. Potter interrupted. "I cannot protect you as I once could, and I know I cannot stop you from going back to Hogsmeade; you wouldn't be a Potter if I could. But please take a couple of sips of this before you go, for me."


-:-

James couldn't find any of his friends by the time he returned to Hogsmeade, but his mind was clear in a way that it had never been before. It took him less than a minute to realize what his father had given him; Felix Felicis... James always knew of it, being the son of a famous potioneer, but had never drank it before. Mr. Potter had been insistent that it was not to be taken lightly, and that truly revealed the scope of the danger of this day. James took a deep breath, feeling bizarrely upbeat considering the present situation, which was a vast change from how he'd been feeling moments earlier. Mary had taken the last of the younger years that they were able to locate to the Potter Mansion and his best friends as well as Lily were absolutely nowhere to be found, but he knew that Felix was going to help him find them. He wished desperately that he could take the potion out of his own body and transfer it to them, but decided that instead he would use it to help him protect them.

The streets were a picture of chaos, now that numerous Aurors had joined in the mix, and seemingly more Death Eaters had arrived as well. He spotted Dorcas Meadowes, a particularly talented witch and family friend of his parents, fighting off two Death Eaters at once. Just as she disabled one of them, a third materialized out of the air. James tore his eyes away; he needed to know that his friends were okay. He needed to know Lily was okay.

He tore off down a less populated section of the town, thinking that he would perhaps find a stray student who had been trying to hide. He found that all he could think of though was Lily - where had she gone? Was she all right?

He spun around at a sudden, deafening crack, followed by two pops. What now?

Ah, shit.

-:-

Flitwick was the most difficult to find. It was a bit like attempting to find a under-sized needle in a stack full of needles, but just as Lily was considering turning back to the Hog's Head, she noticed two Death Eaters dueling with... well, there had to be someone firing those charms. It wasn't long before one Death Eater apparated to another location, and the other had uncontrollable boils festering over every inch of his skin; he threw his wand and tore at his robes, writhing. Another Death Eater quickly replaced the pair, and Flitwick flicked his wand again. Lily bit her lip, wary of interrupting. It would cause more harm than good. She set off before the little professor could notice her.

McGonagall was much easier to find; every bench, each statue and any other inanimate object had risen to fight alongside as she fought off three separate Death Eaters. Lily wasn't sure if she should interrupt this fight, either; she hardly wanted to be the reason why the Deputy Headmistress lost her concentration in a duel, least of all one this potentially deadly.

However, her problem was solved when McGonagall herself caught sight of Lily. "I've sent word to the Headmaster - Get the students and yourself to safety!"

Lily nodded and took off once more.

-:-

Perhaps his face had once been handsome, but now was nothing more than a sallow mask pulled tightly over protruding bones. And his eyes were a most unnatural hue of red. James let his wand hand fall minutely; what could he, a seventh year student, possibly do to even delay the 'Dark Lord'? Even with Felix's help. He wracked his brain wildly, knowing that it was imperative that he do just that. With Voldemort here, the entire town and perhaps even Hogwarts was at danger of being overtaken by Voldemort and his followers. What was taking Professor Dumbledore so bloody long?

"Well, well. The last Potter!" Voldemort announced, letting out an inhuman cackle. James was only a little shocked that he was recognized. All of the Potters looked the same, anyway. He lifted his chin a fraction, but said nothing. James Potter would not go down without his pride. For a moment his mind wandered to the events of the past hour, thankful that he had remembered to tell his mum that he loved her. But had he remembered to tell his dad? How could he have possibly forgotten. And Lily… He swallowed hard as Voldemort took a few long steps forward, and when he was less than a foot away, took a hold of James' face with long cold fingers, lifting it even higher and squeezing it very tightly; James gazed unblinkingly into his crimson eyes, and smiled a sad half-smile. At first, it was forced and heavy with contempt, but then he realized how much this bothered the monster, and he allowed it to spread infectiously across his features. Voldemort pushed him away carelessly, before tilting his head slightly in a pose that looked perfectly unnatural on him.

"How bold - You see, I always value bravery… It would be a pity to spill such pure blood this fine day. Join me, James Potter, and you'll live like a king." Voldemort's voice had lowered to a hissing whisper, and James found that he couldn't draw his eyes from the unnaturally crimson ones before him. The words were barely computing in his mind. Had the 'Dark Lord' just asked for him to join him? James felt his confidence flowing back into him as his fear ebbed to the back of his mind. He felt Felix nudging him, emboldened.

"Er, funny you should offer, Mr... Voldemort? I appreciate the sentiment, you see, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to sleep on it. Why don't we continue this chat at another time? I'll fix you some tea." James knew that his words were not going to help him, but Felix was telling him to keep talking, it was going to be okay.

Voldemort was not amused. "My patience wears thin, Potter. Don't be a fool!" His eyes flashed and his face was twisting into a snarl.

"Alright, then, if you're going to be so impatient, I'm afraid I must kindly decline. You see, I don't pledge loyalty to twisted old Slytherins."

"Don't be brash, boy. You are yet young, but you'll come to see this is the new world order. I could teach you things you've never even dared to dream of! With a talent like yours, you could be my protege!"

James lifted his chin, locking eyes with the bloodshot ones of the Dark Lord, but didn't say another word. Voldemort scowled, returning the Head Boy's gaze

"The opportunity has passed. It truly saddens me to spill pure blood, but we must do it this day. Kill the boy!" Voldemort commanded, turning to walk away as his two cronies approached, like hungry guard dogs who were relishing in having finally been released.

James took a deep breath, forcing himself not to close his eyes; he still gazed directly into the black depths of the Death Eater's mask, wondering for a moment who it was who was about to kill him. Have we met before? Are we related? He held his breath, though Felix was still cooing reassuredly in the back of his mind.

"Avada-"

"Confringo!" with a mind-numbing explosion, the Death Eater's wand detonated, knocking its owner clear across onto the cold ground where he lie motionless. James shook off his sudden awe-struck feeling of a renewed chance at life, and fired his own spell at the second Death Eater, stunning him. Voldemort let out a furious sound and spun around just as Lily caught up to James.

"How charming." He spat, as though the word left a foul taste in his mouth. "Perhaps the head girl is not so foolish as her male counterpart. My eyes and ears at Hogwarts have told me of the most clever witch in the school. Join me, Lily, and I shall spare you and Potter, who would be wise to follow your lead. I shall not extend this offer again!"

Lily stood stock still, struggling a bit to catch her breath and amazed that her body wasn't trembling with the fear that she felt constricting her lungs. She was appalled, however, at the words as they left the mouth of the Dark Lord. She inhaled, praying that her words would come as steadily as the air she had just breathed in.

"What have you done today to convince me that your side is indeed the best?" She asked, voice remaining calm despite the energy surging through her. Her breath had steadied slightly and she knew there had to be some way to buy them time, at the very least. In extending this offer, Voldemort offered as well the opportunity for some escape, perhaps. "What mercy have you shown as of now to gain my sympathies? Prove your leadership is admirable and perhaps you shall gain two servants." She had to force the words to leave her mouth as she remembered Rosier shoving his pale arm in front of her face.

"Quite the spirit, you have. First, you injure my friends," he hissed the word that sounded wrong coming from his thin and twisted lips. "Then, you begin to negotiate." He lifted his wand, mouth morphing into a pained expression that Lily supposed was meant to be a smile, but far more resembled a look of immense constipation. "I fear I've become tired of our little game. What is your answer?"

Lily dared not look away from Voldemort in order to reassure herself that James was still beside her, but she knew he was. James, who had been so good to her this year, and had obviously matured immensely in the last year. James, who clearly cared so much about her, and who she was now realizing she would die for if only it would save him. She looked down a moment, knowing her little plan of seeming to be interested in Voldemort's offer had failed, and worse, it had barely lasted a few moments.

"My answer is no. We'll never join you so long as any of us live."

James leapt in front of Lily the moment these words left here mouth, knocking her backwards before she could object; heroic, sure, but ultimately useless if they were both to die regardless.

The timing could not have been more succinct, for it was at that precise moment that Albus Dumbledore decided to grace them with his presence, having apparated silently several metres behind the Dark Lord. James seized the opportunity, feeling intoxicated with mingled terror, love, and lucky potion.

"Has anybody ever told you you're one ugly motherfucker?" Before Lily managed to change her expression to match the absolute mortified terror she was experiencing, several things happened in quick succession; James leapt toward her, wrapping one arm around her as they careened toward the ground, very barely missing a green streak of magic. There was a large crack, and suddenly Lily couldn't breath; the air was being squeezed from her lungs and they had stopped falling mid-air. The pressure suddenly released, and the pair resumed their fall, landing with a soft thud on cool grass. James flung out his arms in order to keep from landing on Lily, who had flinched her eyes shut tightly. When she didn't feel the pressure of being crushed by the head boy, she opened her eyes. I am alive, she thought in surprise, we're both alive! She took a deep breath of what felt like fresh country air, and gazed up at James' hazel eyes, which were frighteningly close to her face. His glasses were askew and the expression on his face was impossible to read.

"I don't know whether to thank you, or to strangle you," Lily muttered, still a little more than shocked from what just happened. They had stood up to Voldemort, and lived to tell the tale. He would not like that at all.

"You could just kiss me," James grinned, clearly joking and hoping that Lily would understand, feeling Felix nudge him again, "I mean, we are rather close." Before she could get angry at him for such a comment, he pushed himself up onto his feet and held out his hand to help her up. Lily stared at it a moment before taking it and then brushing herself off a bit. "In all honesty, it I who should be thanking you," he added sincerely. Lily shrugged and stared at the ground, wondering where they were, but unable to focus on it, her brain was struggling to process the past hour - had they honestly just met face to face with Lord Voldemort, and made it through alive? They had, and it wasn't over. She sighed heavily.

"We have to go back," Lily said finally, miserably. She didn't particularly want to go back - it was like signing her own death warrant, and James'. But she knew it was their responsibility to protect the younger years - and she could hardly sit here in safety when they were still in danger!

James shook his head. "No way. Didn't you see Dumbledore arrive? He'll take care of it, but we're not going back to where Voldemort was. We almost were killed just now," he reminded her.

Lily shot him a deadly look. "I'm sure that you shouting expletives at him did not aid our case!" She snapped, suddenly irritated.

"I could hardly resist!" James defended. "We're both okay though, right? And the students are all safe, I think. Let's go see what's going on with them." He held out his hand tentatively, and Lily thought a moment before taking it. It felt warm and despite calluses from flying, quite soft and comforting. She realized then that she wanted nothing more than to kiss him. Not just because they'd just faced death together. James had just demonstrated how deeply he cared for her, he was handsome, loyal, intelligent and very brave. She had cared for him as well, deep down, for a while now. Why was she always pushing him away?

She took a deep breath, knowing she should do this while she was still filled with the adrenaline from the fight. She now knew that she or anyone else could die at any moment - in fact they almost had died - and she would have died not knowing what could have happened if only she admitted to herself her true feelings.

"What's wrong?" James asked, immediately dropping her hand; had he crossed the line again? Felix said no, but he tried not to let that on. Lily hadn't realized that she had stopped walking.

"James, I - this might be an odd time..." Lily felt her cheeks burning. James waited, not wanting to assume even though Felix told him this was the moment. It was finally happening. Maybe she was going into shock from what just transpired? No, it wasn't that, but let her say it first!

"I ... really ... like..." She sighed and cursed her own cowardice, forcing herself to make a move. She stood on her toes, and planted a small kiss on his cheek. Ugh Lily! Since when am I so stupid around Potter? I can't believe I just kissed him on the cheek. How immature can I be?

"Oh," James said slowly, finally accepting that Felix was right all along. After what had happened it did seem a strange time, but who was he to object? The only girl he had ever cared for liked him back! "Well, in that case ... I think you may have missed." He smiled widely and softly touched her cheek, pausing a moment to take in every detail of her scratched and dirty face before going in for a proper kiss. Lily wrapped an arm around his back, laying the other palm against his chest. She was kissing him back! He was blissfully ignorant for a few seconds of the Hogwarts students, his parents, the war - everything was perfect in this moment.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Allieas All rights reserved.
Allieas has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.