Fantasy Fiction posted September 5, 2014 Chapters: Prologue 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Finally back to Earth.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

An Ancient Embrace

by michaelcahill




Background
Two souls return to Earth and encounter each other in various lifetimes. On Earth they have no knowledge that they have encountered each other before.






 
Previously, Vision and Sound encountered each other on Earth for the first time. They both lived in a time slightly before homo sapiens, but in human ancestors. They returned to Heaven aware of each other and cognizant that they had shared time together on Earth. We continue now as the narrator, Magic Felix, continues to explain the nature of souls and their travels.


In our home, the awareness of each other is consumed by the immersion in the all of it. A memory of laughter would drift between them on occasion. I don't want to discount that. It is rare that interactions as humans remain significant here in a personal way. Here it is the learning and the growth that are paramount. The occasional smile that passed between them was and is rare.
 
Here we are connected. On Earth you connect. It is different. Beliefs on Earth are strengthened by sharing. If one believes something it becomes more solid with the agreement of another especially if there is respect or regard for that other. But, it only works one on one. There is no power when it is impersonal. We is diluted when there is no personal knowledge of who "we" is.
 
Okay, now wake up. I see I am losing you in a sea of my own fascinating meanderings. The Magic one is fond of his insights, but I realize that you may not be as fond as I am. Ha!
 
I can see for convenience that a more informal tone is in order on my part. I'm not known for my studious nature. While true that souls are not one sex or another, there is over time a predilection that a soul acquires. With that in mind, I can reveal that Vision whose name to us is "Vi" has female leanings. Sound leans towards male qualities. We call Sound, Sam. I can't truly explain why, but Sam has brought home a stray pet and named him "Sam" in several lifetimes. No, that isn't to be expected and no, I have no explanation for it. He just seems to wander home with an animal, usually a dog, often enough to be more than coincidence. Sam stands for Sound Amplified by Mime. It is hilarious to us and no doubt not quite as amusing to you, at least in your human form.
 
All of that aside, Vision is mostly female and we call her Vi. Sound is mostly male and we call him Sam. I realize that it may be confusing when Vi is in a male host on Earth or Sam is in a female host. Just remember, souls are souls and they possess good and bad qualities. Circumstance has a great effect on a life. It is difficult for one born into poverty to be generous for they have little to give. Yet, it can be one of a poor persons most prominent qualities. To be born the ruler of a vast empire would seem to preclude humility, but it doesn't always. Thus, the endless stories and learning that take place with mankind.
 
Of course, I can't help but speak of these things from time to time. I am aware that there are stories to tell. I know that you will tolerate them well knowing that the possibility of more of my special wisdom flowing forth at any moment.

 
An Ancient Embrace
 

Vi and Sam spent a great many thousands of years here at home interacting with the many souls that reside here. Souls come and go. New souls appear and there origin is a mystery to us, even to me. As the population of mankind on Earth increases the number of souls increases with it.
 
They both returned to Earth at the same time and to the same place. That was neither the norm nor the exception. These things are random as far as we know. Vi occupied the body of Latar, a female daughter of the chief of a tribe of cave dwelling early homo sapiens. Sam was the daughter of one of the women gatherers who had no mate. Her father had been a hunter and fallen prey to a sickness that claimed several members of the tribe.
 
Sam was called Narina, so named by her father before he passed. She didn't know the significance of the name nor did her mother. There may not have been any, other than the pleasant sound of it.
 
Farth ruled the tribe by virtue of his great strength and hunting ability. None dared challenge him for his leadership role. He took full advantage of his position and saw to it that he had the finest cuts of meat and the most expertly crafted garments to protect against the elements. His family, wife Yessa, son Breen and Latar lived as he lived, enjoying the best that the tribe had to offer.
 
Narina and her mother, Solta were cared for, but held no power in the tribe. They gathered roots and berries for the tribe. They prepared meals and assisted in whatever menial tasks needed tending.
 
The tribe had shrunk mainly due to illness down to twenty-two members including an infant and three children under ten. The infant could do nothing but receive care. The children could perform simple tasks of cleaning and carrying. They earned their keep.
 
Latar and Narina were acquainted, but they were clearly of different importance to the tribe. They were friends within that contest however and had a pleasant relationship. In spite of her lowly status, Narina had the ability to make Latar laugh. Laughter, even for one well off, was a rare commodity. Latar enjoyed Narina's company for that reason alone.
 
The competition for game had become intense. The dwindling numbers of Farth's tribe reached a point where they no longer could compete for food. The lack of food would soon take its toll as winter approached. Farth could see this coming. There were no reserves to get the tribe through the winter. The tribe was in dire straits and he knew it.
 
Farth stood before the tribe. He had no need to ask for silence. All were silent with their eyes fixed on him. "To survive, we must hunt the mammoth. We cannot survive the season of ice with a few meager berries and roots."
 
The tribe responded with silence. There would be no dispute. Nor would anyone stand up and cheer a course of action that amounted to certain death for many of them.
 
Farth continued. "I have a plan for the hunt. Our numbers are small. We will use the females to make our numbers appear large. They will pretend to be hunters. This will confuse the beast and allow the real hunters a chance to strike."
 
Solta blurted out an answer. "But, Farth. I have but my daughter as my only family. Surely, she might stay and watch our camp to keep it safe from enemies."
 
Her outburst was unheard of. Not even a young hunter had ever stood in defiance of Farth. He spoke. "There can be no exceptions. We need everyone out there. My own son who is but seven years will be there."
 
Narina rose excitedly. "There is no need to worry, mother. I have the speed of the great cat. The great beast shall be dizzy from watching me run. The hunters will fell him with ease. Farth is wise. It is a good plan! When do we begin?"
 
Whatever anger Farth had ready to unleash disappeared with the hope that Narina's speech gave him and everyone else. Latar smiled. She had given the idea of the hunt to her father. He would be quite shocked to know that Latar had received the idea from Narina. The two young girls were clever enough to let Farth take full credit for the idea. There was little doubt in Narina's mind that Farth already believed the idea to be his.
 
"We leave in the morning".





 



Recognized


As humanity progresses there will be more interaction and dialogue and less narration. It won't be long. Great input that I thank you for.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.