Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted June 27, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A short essay

Rest In Peace, My Friend, Songbyrd

by michaelcahill
















By now most of us have heard the sad news about Pam (Gungalo). I also found out at the same time that another dear friend here had passed away as well, Songbyrd. I don't know the details. I have been worried for months and hoping, like we all do when someone is missing, that perhaps she was recording or simply that "the real world" had taken priority.
 
Songbyrd was a lovely woman that wrote beautiful songs about our country and matters of faith. She offered encouragement and kind words to all she encountered. I have CDs of her and her husband performing music that they wrote together and it was excellent. She was knowledgable about airborne fungal infections as she and her husband had survived serious devastating bouts of illness with that affliction. She wrote excellent articles on the subject, bringing needed attention to it. I don't know any details as to what happened. I just know that she is gone and I miss her. Her last review was one of my pieces. She gave me a six. I will cherish it as I will her memory.

 
If every day is worth its' weight in gold
Don't take a chance on life without a dream
Believe and let the Spirit take control
That star will shine with every song you sing
                                              By Songbyrd-(One of her last posts)
 

There are other names missing I wonder about as well. Names appear in the forum from time to time, Lovinia recently, comes to mind. No one seems to know where she is and we are concerned. One of my good friends from last year and a prominent writer here, Cookie333, hasn't been heard from since December of last year. My friend, Darkhorse555, had some problems that a few of us knew of and then suddenly disappeared. I don't think anything is wrong with any of them really. It is just that I don't know and I have no way to find out.
 
I bring this up because many say that the friendships formed here are not real friendships. I disagree with that. For me, this is the first time in my life I have been able to interact with what I call, "my own kind". I say that with a little smile, but I mean it in the best sense. Most of us are stars in the little circles we come from. I am by far the most talented person in my little circle. No big deal, none of my friends can write, sing or play an instrument, so that leaves me, by default, the star.
 
Here, I'm just one of the thousands of talented people. That is a wonderful thing. I have to work and improve just to stand out once in a while. Every single one of us understand that. We are all in that same boat. Getting back to my point, yes, I do have real friends here. I have friends here unlike any that I have had outside of this community. I have friends here that know and understand me in a way that other people in my life never could. The other people in my life don't know what it is like to be a writer. They don't know what it is like to write something and have someone read it and tell me what they think of it. They don't understand how important that is to me.
 
Well, this is a bit rambling, I know. It has been an upsetting couple of days. Let's remember the shock of Gungalo's passing. Let's remember the worry of the last couple months wondering what had happened to her. There are people that care about you here. Make sure that if something were to happen to you that someone has a way to let your friends here know.

Just some things on my mind. Thank you for reading.


 



Recognized


Just some thoughts after a rough couple of days for all of us.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.