Writing Non-Fiction posted June 13, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Contest entry

Reviewing

by dejohnsrld (Debbie)

I remember stumbling over writing my first review. Brand new to the world of writing, I couldn’t imagine that I knew more than someone with previous writing experience. 

I felt like an inept fraud pretending I knew more than an experienced writer, or at least someone who had been on Fanstory a month longer then I had.

I do feel much more capable of the task today, but by far from being an expert. There are so many types of writing, finding expertise in them all is an impossible feat.

I review a bit differently than most. I note the spags as I see them, with suggestions for improvement. Of course all is my humble opinion that these need to be fixed. If I wait until the end, they will have likely been forgotten.

 With such a diverse group of writers from around the globe, words, phrases, sentence structures and meter do not always coincide with our preconceived American jargon, and who says ours is right anyway?

The more I do read and review, the more skillful I think I become at it. I also find I learn more from most readings than I am able to give back in return.

If I am offended by a topic, I don’t choose to review it. It may have meaning to some, but not me.

I do thoroughly read what I review although many others don’t. That is the least we can do in trying to help others.

As someone receiving reviews, I abhor reviewers who obviously
haven't done the reading. I don't mind less than perfect reviews as long as reasons for them are given.

I always, no matter the quality of the work, try to end on an optimistic note, what they have done right, or at least encouragement to keep on writing.

I am here to learn and feel most others are here for the same reason.

 



Essay On Reviewing writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
For this contest, you must write an essay about how to review. Please see announcement for details and rules.

Recognized


Thanks to Angelheart for the artwork
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dejohnsrld (Debbie) All rights reserved.
dejohnsrld (Debbie) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.