Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 13, 2014 Chapters:  ...27 27 -28- 29... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Press conference announcements and Junior's interview.

A chapter in the book The Bard of Bel Air

The Media Circus

by michaelcahill




Background
A chess game is afoot as a murder turns out not to be a murder and then authorities pretend that it is a murder. A mentally ill homeless man is in the middle of all of it with his own take.
CHAPTER 27 DID NOT HAVE NOTICES SENT OUT. PLEASE READ FIRST! ALMOST EVERYONE MISSED IT. IT IS PROMOTED TOO. MIKEY
 
Previously, Lucy hooked up with Winston and worried that she may have jumped on board too quick. Winston was lax as far as covering the location of his compound. Lucy had a pretty good idea of its approximate location even though blindfolded. Plans to call a press conference where solidified and the participants set out on their way to it.


The response to Q's announcement reminded me of feeding my goldfish in the evening. Goldfish, it is claimed, have a memory that only spans about twenty seconds. That is why they appear to be starving every time they are fed. They don’t remember eating… EVER! It took a few moments of shouting and elbowing for the first question to be posed.
 
"Lance Goodsprechen, Channel 7 News, are any of these parties in custody? Have any arrests been made?"
 
Q pretended to confer with Tenaya. He whispered under his breath, "This is awesome. Are you up for some questions?"
 
Tenaya looked a bit nervous, "Warm them up a little, so I can get a feel for it. Then you can turn it over to me. I've seen many "tell them nothing" press conferences; I think I can handle it."
 
Q addressed the throng of reporters, "Warrants are being issued as we speak. Detective Adrian can give you more specific answers."
 
"Sonny Denteen, MTV, How will this affect the Elvis Costello tour that has just been signed and what about the artists signed to Blackwell Publishing?"  
 
Q smiled. He was hoping it would go this direction. "That is all in the CEO's hands, Ruby Dancer. She will be glad to answer your questions shortly. I can assure you that the transition of ownership will be smooth and there will be no disruption of tour dates or release dates for albums."
 
"John Slayer, NBC Nightly News, is this another Michael Jackson scenario. Did the Doctor give him the wrong medication? Did his son have him murdered so he could take over the company?"
 
Q suppressed a giddy laugh. "We can't go into details of an ongoing investigation. All the circumstances will be brought to light in due course. I'm going to turn the mic over to Detective Adrian. She can answer general questions about the case, but don't expect details. Remember that there may yet be people in danger and not everyone involved is behind bars at this time. Adrian?"
 
Tenaya came forward. She looked over the assemblage and pointed at a familiar face, "Katrina?"
 
"Yes, thank you detective. Katrina Wright, KCAL9, The Police Chief works out of the office right behind you. Are you going to arrest him right on the spot?"
 
"Technically, I can't arrest anyone. I'm suspended. So, someone else will have that honor. If he's inside watching, he's welcome to come out and respond. I doubt he has the nerve being a low life and all." Tenaya had all she could handle keeping a smirk off her face.
 
"What facts can you tell us? Can you give some basics at least?" Katrina Wright knew Tenaya from a previous prominent case and had a friendship of sorts with her.
 
Tenaya responded, "I was the lead detective that awful night. We responded to a 911 call. Upon arrival, I observed the victim, Johnathon Blackwell Senior, being tended to by a civilian team from the Cryogenic Institute. I was prevented from conducting an investigation at every turn. Police Chief Sandoval was already on scene and interfering with my investigation. Dr. Khin had already signed a death certificate. Blackwell Junior had discovered the body, according to him, and called the Cryogenic Institute before he called 911. There are witnesses that are in protective custody that will testify to the actual murder that took place. The body remains unexamined at the Cryogenic Institute. I assure you, we will have access and we will test for toxins. That is all I can tell you at this time. Ruby?"
 
Ruby stepped up with all the poise those years on stage had taught her. "If you would confine your questions to matters that concern Blackwell Publishing and its affiliates, I am here to answer them. I have no comment on the investigation involving my father's murder."
 
Q and Tenaya gave each other looks of approval. There was the sound bite that would take them national. Ruby looked gorgeous and the epitome of class and poise.
 
"Ms. Dancer! Ms. Dancer! Is that a stage name? Are you going to change your name to Blackwell?"
 
"That's my name. Daughter of the legendary Diamond Dancer. Yes, I use my real name on stage. In private life, my last name will be Blackwell. But, as far as my recording and music career, I have no plans to change it." Ruby was right at home and seemed to be without nerves. She had them, but the experience to overcome them had been honed for years on stage.
 
A murmuring began through the crowd as eyes turned to the front of the Bel Air Police Department. Chief Sandoval, flanked by seven officers, was making his way towards the press conference. He looked unhappy and stared directly at Tenaya Adrian. Upon arrival, he directed his officers to stand behind him as he walked up Tenaya.
 
Tenaya eyed him with contempt and anticipated what his next move might be. She motioned to three officers in the crowd who appeared to be there for crowd control purposes.
 
The Chief spoke, "Tenaya Adrian, you are under arrest for violating your suspension and inciting civil unrest." He pulled cuffs out of his back pocket and attempted to get closer to Tenaya.
 
"Chief Sandoval, you are under arrest for conspiracy to commit murder, you have the right to remain silent…" One of the three officers had come up behind the Chief and neatly cuffed him and began reading him his rights.
 
Chief Sandoval was incensed. "You can't arrest me. This is a career move here, buddy. Dobbs, Fortenson, stop him!"
 
The two officers that the Chief called out to looked confused and stood there motionless. The three officers escorted a yelling and uncooperative Chief Sandoval to a nearby squad car and put him in the back seat. The car sped off.
 
On stage Ruby Dancer spoke, "You officers can go back inside now. Oh… Chief Sandoval won't be coming back for… well, Chief Sandoval won't be coming back. Now, are there any other questions?"
 
~~~~~~
 
Johnathon Blackwell Junior couldn't believe his eyes as he watched the breaking news on channel 9. "Lincoln, are you watching this crap. That damn meddling detective just arrested the Chief and she's mentioned my name and the doctors. What the hell is going on here?"
 
A loud knock at the door interrupted his diatribe. "Lincoln, see who the hell that is and get rid of them. Whatever it is, I don't want any."
 
Lincoln answered the door. "Christina Gonzales Eyewitness News, You have not been implicated yet. Is yours a name that we can add to the list? Are you one of the unnamed conspirators?"
 
That was unexpected by Lincoln and sent him reeling. "Me? No. Hell no! I have nothing to do with nothing. I just work here. You want to talk to Junior here. He's the one they're talkin' about, not me. Mr. Blackwell. It's Christina Gonzales, she has questions for you."
 
Junior was red-faced mad. "Dammit, Lincoln! I told you I didn't want to talk to anybody." He stormed to the front door as Christina and her crew pushed by Lincoln.
 
With the camera and light directly on Junior, Christina Gonzales posed a question, "Did you murder your own father to gain control of his company?"
 
Junior was not used to the spotlight. He reacted without much thought as to what it might look like. "This is just the latest lame attempt for some country bumpkins to gain a little fame and grab a headline. I watched the damn circus and I'm sure you vultures are eating it up. I run Blackwell Publishing. No, I didn't murder my own father."
 
"Yet, the Chief of Police for Bel Air was just arrested on television for all to see. So, there is certainly something to all of this. Are you going into hiding?"
 
"Hiding? Ha! Are you kidding? Hell no! Hiding from what? That pain in the ass detective and a shyster lawyer. Hell, that's my lawyer. A little conflict of interest there somewhere? Ya Think? Those two hicks are gonna run a billion dollar corporation. On what planet?"
 
Christina Gonzales smiled and looked into the camera. "That was Johnathon Blackwell Junior's reaction to the news that he has been accused of the murder of this father. I'm Christina Gonzales, Eyewitness News." She paused knowing that she already had exactly what she came for. She continued. "Are you prepared to answer some questions here and now to clear yourself?"
 
"I don't need to clear myself. You can take your little camera and sideshow back out on the road. You're on private property, lady. Don't make me call the cops."
 
"Your connection at the Bel Air Police Department isn't taking any calls at this point. With the takeover of Blackwell Publishing, what are your plans?"
 
"Take over? Take over? Nothing is taken over anything. Those two bitches will be on a boat to Louisiana by the end of the week. Are you kidding? Take over? Now, get off my property with this second rate circus. You must want to be sued."
 
"I don't think your lawyer is handling your affairs anymore."
 
"That's it. Very funny, funny girl. Lincoln! Show these people the door. Get them out of here. Call the cops do something!" Junior stormed out of the room and into the study.



 




Somehow the last chapter didn't have notices sent, so I hope everyone got a chance to read it. So, is this all rolling along to your liking? Input and suggestions always welcome. You have been wonderfully helpful. Thank you.

characters:

Johnathon Blackwell Senior-Harpster, presumed deceased former owner of a music conglomerate.

Johnathon Blackwell Junior- Senior's son and heir apparent to the family fortune.

Lilith Blackwell- Widow of Blackwell Senior and claimant to the estate.

The Bard-Stewart Slater, homeless, writer, musician, mentally ill. witness to the death of Harpster amongst other things.

Detective Tenaya Adrian- lead is there is a murder to investigate.

Detective Lucy Smaldino, Tenaya's partner

Lincoln- The Blackwell family butler.

Ruby Dancer- singer and Daughter of Harpster though she doesn't know anything about it.

Diamond Dancer- mother of Ruby and former mistress of Harpster. Refuses to tell Ruby anything about her father.

Dr. Khin- The Blackwell personal family physcian

"Q & A"-- Q Aubrey Langstan--"Q" The Blackwell family attorney.

Daniel- Blackwell Senior's Deaf brother.

Esmeralda "Emma" Blackwell- Blackwell Seniors Mother

Winston- Blackwell Senior's son. War hero turned mercenary. Kidnapped father and the Bard.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.