Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 9, 2014 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Winston confronts Lincoln with surprising results.

A chapter in the book The Bard of Bel Air

Lincoln Surprises & Plans Are Made

by michaelcahill




Background
Lots of criminal activity including treason. Money and power at stake. An interesting team to get at the truth includes a poetry spouting mentally ill homeless man that knows more than people realize.
Previously, Through various means most of the good guys ended up at Tenaya's apartment for reunions and and discussions. There was a lot to hash out. While this was going on, Winston was lying in wait for Lincoln. We pick up the story now as Winston is about to confront Lincoln.

Winston bid his brother goodbye and exited through the front door. A couple minutes later, Lincoln left as well and headed towards his car. Winston had other plans for him.

"Lincoln."
 
Your name has many meanings doesn't it? As a child, there is the various tones that a parent can communicate just by saying your name. One of the most powerful is that version that ends in an exclamation point. That is the version of your name that stops you in your tracks. It is usually a formal birth certificate version. If you are normally called "Mike", on this occasion you are "Michael!" I've seen grown men freeze in their tracks when a mother admonishes her child in a public setting. They just happen to share the child's name. But that sound still carries they same weight. "Michael!" There is the whispered sound of your lover's voice, the formal indifferent summons of the next in line at the DMV and so many others.
 
"Lincoln". Winston called him over like someone that he had dominion over. The word property would not quite describe it. People generally care about their property. This had the sound of disposable property to it, like someone hired to haul trash from the alley. When the trash is gone, there is no need to consider the individual any longer.
 
Lincoln did not function in life without guile. He understood the precarious situation in which he found himself. He had a weapon close at hand. It didn't compare to Winston's mini-arsenal, but it would certainly be a huge surprise to Winston for Lincoln to pull a Colt revolver out of his dark blue sport jacket and plant one between Winston's light blue eyes.
 
With all of that in mind, Lincoln said, "Yes?"
 
"I want to ask you about that nanny. I got the feeling there's more to her than meets the eye. You've been working with her. What's your take?" Winston looked neutral. As far as Lincoln was concerned, that was great news. Winston could've pulled a gun and invited him to have a seat in the trunk of Winston's Humvee.
 
Lincoln had to devise his strategy and make some decisions and he had to do it immediately. He realized that this was life or death, his, Lucy's and who knows whom else's. There was a time when Lincoln had integrity. But, like a river creates a valley through the mountain that integrity had become less rock-solid over time. Life can do that when it doesn't go as planned. He made his decision.
 
"We can count on her. She is no wallflower. She thinks Junior is a buffoon and wants more out of life than being a nanny. She's in Bel Air because that's where the money is. You saw her instincts with those two bitches. She doesn't even know the score, but she knew that the call is to get them out of there and avoid the attention." Lincoln surprised himself. It felt good to have some loyalty and to do the right thing for a change. It had been a while. Besides, it was the smart move. This kept him on the good side of both the good guys and the bad. But, that razor's edge seemed sharper than ever.
 
"Okay. Don't say anything to her. I may have some work for her. You have a nice evening, Lincoln." Winston didn't wait for a response. He just turned and hopped in his Humvee and motored out of the driveway. Halfway down the street, he was joined by two other Humvees.
 
Lincoln continued walking to his car. He slowly drove down the driveway and around the block where he parked. He pulled his cell phone out of his inside coat pocket and dialed Lucy.
 
Lucy felt her phone vibrating in her front pocket. She signaled everybody to hold it down. It was Lincoln. "I'll be damned, It's Lincoln." She answered, "Lucy".
 
"It's Lincoln. I just had a nice chitchat with our boy Winston. It appears he wants to put you to work."
 
Lucy smiled broadly. "We were just talking about that. Tell me about it."
 
"Well, after you left with those…ladies. What did you do with them by the way?"
 
"Oh, I put them on a bus. They had enough of our hospitality, I reckon." Lucy threw a little Southern accent on the end of her remark. She gave a little wink to Ruby, who smiled.
 
"So, he leaves and I follow a few minutes later and oh hell no… there he is saying "Lincoln". It sounded like a call from the angel of death. I've got my hand on my Colt and I say, "Yes"? He says, "So, tell me about that nanny." I'm on the verge of laughing, I swear to God! So, I had your back, of course. I told him that your one of us. Haaaa! Whatever that is. But, I ain't in the trunk of that Humvee. So it worked out okay for me."
 
"I knew I could count on you Lincoln. You hang in there. You have more back up than you realize. The good guys don't turn their back on their own. Remember that. We'll talk soon. Well, I'll see you at work tomorrow." She hung up and said to no one in particular. "I still don't exactly trust him."
 
Tenaya spoke up over the murmuring that filled the apartment. "That answers whatever questions we have right there. I don't hear a better plan on the table."
 
The Bard jumped up. "I'd look good in some Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. I could be your secretary. Of course, the beard would have to go. No. You could be my beard… Well, it's too dangerous. The roadrunner and the anvil… Winston and the Acme company are up to no good. I have to protect the Diamond Girl.

 
she exploded in the night
                for the world could not contain her
                                and the stars did not explain
                                why one day she would not deign
to implode when it was me
that loved her so"


 
Harpster spoke out. "I can get people. But, they aren't going to have the inroads that Lucy has. But, if you're worried about protection, my friend, I can have people in place just for that purpose. But, we need Lucy to find out some basics. How about where? I know we were in Mojave somewhere. But, it's big with lots of hiding places. There's a forest attached. There's wilderness that people get lost in all the time. We weren't at the main compound. There was just the one building and a helicopter. It was barely an improvement over the Bard's hideout. Hell, we kicked a hole in the side of the building. The Bard here looked like Bruce Lee, way more alive too."
 
"Book em Kato. Whaaaaa!" The Bard jumped up and did a spinning roundhouse kick. It looked lethal and he managed to miss connecting with anything in the crowded room.
 
Ruby jumped up and performed one that put the Bard's to shame. She spoke, "Like I said, I speak fluent Mandarin and I would like to be involved. He is my brother, right?"
 
Harpster looked amused and unmistakably proud. "Wow. That was impressive. Him being your actual brother or half-brother is debatable. His mom was not exactly faithful. I'm not so sure about Junior, to tell you the truth. Lilith is very career minded. That brings me to another little task. My mom needs to know that I'm okay. I want her out of that damn house too. My brother, Daniel also. He hates my kids with good reason. A long story. You’re the only one that can talk to them, Lucy. It was different when I was there. No one dared screw with them. Now there's no telling."
 
Tenaya had been listening for some time. "We need to get going on this now. It's dangerous, but Lucy is the only card we have to play. We can have her back, of course. I think tomorrow is the day to get mom and uncle Daniel out of there. Until we know where Winston's operation is and who he is dealing with, we're just talking. If Lucy can get you in Ruby, it looks like you can handle yourself. We'll see. IF it looks right and it helps the situation okay. We'll play it by ear."
 
Diamond had something to say about that. "The ear will be the one I grab a hold of when I drag her ass out of here. You sit here and get acquainted with your daddy. I don't think he wants you in danger any more than I do. Isn't that right, Harpster?"
 
Harpster smiled and gave the only answer he could. "Yes, of course. There's no need for you to endanger yourself. We have plenty of people to endanger already."
 
The whole group burst into laughter at Harpster's poor choice of words.


Q looked like several light bulbs went off at once over his head. "Diamond had an idea that I  think we should reconsider. I was against it at first. But think about this. She wanted to blow the whistle. She wanted to shine a spotlight on the whole mess. Now that I think about it, I think there is something to that. Why don't we shine a light on Chief Sandoval, Junior, Dr. Khin and the murder of Johnathon Blackwell Senior? We don't mention Winston or any of that. Hell, Winston would probably love it. But, in the long run that is what will nail him. We go after everybody but him. In the meantime we are undercover destroying his plans. When the time comes, we nail him for Brewster's murder. We get them all. That spotlight is a lot of protection. Winston won't want to risk being anywhere near it."
 
Diamond smiled. "I told y'all you should listen to me. Damn. Ain't nothing like a shysty lawyer when he's on your side."
 
This was certainly a group that could laugh in the face of danger.



 




Trying to keep things tied together as the pace quickens. A lot going on all of a sudden. Any input or suggestions will be considered and taken most seriously as always. Your help and advice has been wonderful. Thank you!

characters:

Johnathon Blackwell Senior-Harpster, presumed deceased former owner of a music conglomerate.

Johnathon Blackwell Junior- Senior's son and heir apparent to the family fortune.

Lilith Blackwell- Widow of Blackwell Senior and claimant to the estate.

The Bard-Stewart Slater, homeless, writer, musician, mentally ill. witness to the death of Harpster amongst other things.

Detective Tenaya Adrian- lead is there is a murder to investigate.

Detective Lucy Smaldino, Tenaya's partner

Lincoln- The Blackwell family butler.

Ruby Dancer- singer and Daughter of Harpster though she doesn't know anything about it.

Diamond Dancer- mother of Ruby and former mistress of Harpster. Refuses to tell Ruby anything about her father.

Dr. Khin- The Blackwell personal family physcian

"Q & A"-- Q Aubrey Langstan--"Q" The Blackwell family attorney.

Daniel- Blackwell Senior's Deaf brother.

Esmeralda "Emma" Blackwell- Blackwell Seniors Mother

Winston- Blackwell Senior's son. War hero turned mercenary. Kidnapped father and the Bard.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.