General Non-Fiction posted April 24, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Thank you Ruth!

Umbrella in the Storm

by playinaround

Ruth, my friend - that was a fateful day, when I was only twenty-one - messed up and lost inside. The day that I nervously answered your questions for the interview at the movie theater. I didn't give it much thought after the interview ended. Just that, I failed another one. Little did I know that I would get the job a week later and little did I know that in that awkward interview that I made a friend for life. A friend who's memories comfort and give hope today, everyday.

Ruth, for reasons unknown to me - you had compassion for me from the instant we met. You gave me acceptance and belonging. You never knew the everlasting impact that your compassion made in my life. My family rejected me. I had no job. My mother was in the hospital and died a month later. What kind of perfect storm brought you into my life that I would not only survive, but thrive.

I remember the fun. The bingo games, the coffee marathons and the late night chats. Oh yes, and the trip to Vegas. For six years we worked together at that theater: 'The Village". Every bit of that time is precious to me now as it was then.

Ruth, It's so hard to put into words what our friendship means to me then, and now, after you're gone. Without you, I wouldn't have a wealth of memories to draw courage, comfort and strength from. I only hope that there you will be, when I die and crossover, smoking a cigarette and asking me to go with you to buy lottery tickets at the Golden Circle K.

I hope you know how I feel, Ruth. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am lucky, so lucky. So save a spot at the bingo table there for me, I'm dying to play and catch up with everything.

I love you,

Me (you know who I am)



Thank You Letter writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a letter of gratitude to a person or persons (no poetry) beginning with a short paragraph stating the kindness that occurred. This paragraph can be in third person, from a narrator's point of view before starting your letter of thanks, or it can be part of the letter.

Be very clear as to what you are grateful for and how it affected your life.

The letter must be in first person.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. playinaround All rights reserved.
playinaround has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.