General Fiction posted March 23, 2014 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The name of the country and who to lead it is discussed.

A chapter in the book Yosemite

New Country and Government

by michaelcahill




Background
The world in chaos. Survivors in Yosemite try to organize for survival. Where is the danger? Without or within?
Previously, Christine finished her moving eulogy and requested that those that were just hours before enenmies embrace in memory of fallen comrades. The affect of healing was immediate. All returned to camp where plans for the future began to be discussed in earnest. We continue with the story as Johnny and his friends are gathered around the campfire.


It seemed like old times. That sobered me to the reality of our situation. The situation suited me though. This was living that had eluded me for a lifetime. The 'edge' was for me. Finding it in the world that once existed proved impossible. Humans seemed to crave repetition it. Why else invent time? Why have calendars? Days, months, years? Hours, minutes, seconds? Aren't moments all that matter? We were collecting moments here.
 
A survey of the faces around the campfire brought a smile. These people had stepped up and proven themselves. They have probably surprised themselves. Pride covered me like the warmest down quilt. My people: Linda the fearless warrior, Jen the earth mother, Carlos the fearless soldier, Annie and her loyalty, Russell and his devotion and Christine, the everything,

I liked to call her, "The Christine Creation". It didn't seem possible that such a woman existed. My girl. The world had gone to hell in a rickety hand basket and life teetered on the brink of extinction. My life, on the other hand, had never been better. Yep, Recon Johnny, the luckiest man alive.
 
The conversation turned to the state of affairs. I loved to hear Ma talk. Usually whatever she said came to pass.
 
Ma looked like a gypsy fortuneteller, highlighted by the light of the campfire. All eyes were on her. "This is the world now. Right here. What's out yonder don't matter a hill a fritters. We's gots to keep focused on our world. This a hornet's nest right here y'all. Everyone walkin' round wavin' sticks ta poke at it. That's where the danger be comin from. My boys'll tell ya whats a comin' down the road. Whats a gonna pop up here. That’s a tricky one."
 
"Ma's right." Jen didn't speak much; she was a listener. When she spoke, people sat up at attention. "We get little drops of information here and there. Tidbits from soldiers. Nikolai here has information from his part of the world. Hell, he doesn't even have faith in it. One thing is clear, the world is a big mess. Do we even want to connect with it? I know this though, we better be ready for it. One way or another, it will find us. When it does, it will want to govern us. I never realized 'till just this moment what a dirty word that is, "govern". Talk about hidden meaning. "Government for the people" has to be one hell of an ironic phrase when you think about it."
 
Carlos seemed animated by that. "I wouldn't go that far, Jen." Jen happened to be curled up in his arms as he spoke. There was no longer any mystery about paternity concerning her pregnancy. "Government gone wrong okay, you are on the money. But, you have to have order. You have to have law. Do you think there would be anyone alive here without some kind of structure? Hell no!"
 
Christine had an answer. "Judas was a beloved and revered disciple before he betrayed Christ. That's what Ma is talking about. The danger is right here in this camp. It may even be here at this cozy campfire. I agree Jen, you could substitute "subjugate" for "govern". But, Carlos is correct too. There has to be structure. We have to treat this place like a country. This is a country. I sure as hell owe no allegiance to some walled in castle in Oregon, claiming to be something that they are not. I owe allegiance to this." She waved her hand, indicating all that surrounded her.
 
This had turned to the inevitable question at hand. Was there anything left that we were a part of. Was there a United States of America, reorganizing its resources, preparing to rescue and take care of its citizens? If there wasn't, then we had to form a country ourselves, and we had to do it right now. I knew the answer was academic. There was no way to know if anything existed outside of our current world that could possibly have our interests in mind. We had to take care of ourselves.
 
"What shall we call our nation?" I looked around at the faces of my friends, as the full significance of my question began to sink in.
 
"Yosemite". Russell seemed to have it right on the money. He looked pleased.
 
I thought about some history book two hundred years from now and Mrs. Bigbottom, the steaming hot history teacher, conducting class:
 
"Paul, please stand and tell us who named this great country of ours."
 
"I…I…uh…I can't stand Mrs. Bigbottom, my leg's asleep."
 
"Doesn't look asleep to me, Paul." Rosie, the class clown, shouts out while the class giggles and titters.
 
"Johnny. Earth to Johnny. Hey, we're forming a country here. Interested?" Christine seemed highly amused. That was part of my charm.
 
"Okay, the representative from Smilesville has put forth that we name this union, founded in necessity and formed out of desperation, with a dash of love, Yosemite. All those in favor?"
 
"Aye!" They all smiled.
 
I drew my glock menacingly, "all those opposed?"
 
Linda was standing behind me with an arrow to my ear, before I finished my sentence. Christine fell to the ground laughing. I joined her in a dignified manner, as befits a head of state. I noticed that Linda cuddled up with Nikolai as we enjoyed the moment. "Romeo and Juliet" came to mind, or "Romanov and Juliet", I laughed to myself.
 
Finally, the laughter died down. I wondered to myself if Jefferson and Adams ever cracked a smile,back in the day, when forming the United States. Christine's put her arm around my waist and looked into my eyes. With a little squeeze, she let me know that she understood the enormity of what was on my shoulders. There was no need for words. A chill passed through me imagining 'here' without her. A warmth filled me realizing that she was, indeed, here. Ma was about to speak. My attention turned to her.
 
"That's a good name, Yosemite. Y'all put that name in yer hearts and minds. That’s number two now. Number one's your kin. Kin means your family where'ns I comes from. Family's those that ya sez is family. They's number one. Ya got a big ole target on yer back now Johnny. Y'all best be lookin out fer your boy here. Not many like him. He don't give a pile a bear scar bout bein the boss. That’s what makes him good. That gal a his, she's the jewel. Her an my Lester'll see what's a comin', Y'all pay attention when they's a talkin'. This ole ball a dirt was in bad shape already. Lord knows what they'd did to it now. Ain't no tellin' how many parcels a land like this there be. Best get her defended." Ma sat back looking for all the world like the wisest woman on earth. She just might have been.
 
Joe stood up. He hadn't had much to say since that day when he first wandered into camp. What a welcome we gave him. We were capable of terrible things. That had to remain in my mindset. We beat him for no reason at all.

We had seen people murdered and felt nothing. We had witnessed wholesale death unaffected by it. For God's sake, we had carved up one of our own as a possible food source. Had we really reached that desperate a point? Yes, we had. To forget that would be a mistake.
 
Joe spoke. "I don't mean this in a disrespectful way to Johnny. I like Johnny and think he is sincere and has done a lot for us. But, to automatically just put him in charge doesn't make sense to me. Who says he is the best one to take command? Who says he is the best leader?"

He stood up and started pacing around. He continued,"I am a leader. I'm a state senator from Nevada. I've been elected to office and lead people. I know how laws are passed and how they're enforced. Why wouldn't I be the better choice? Is this going to be a democracy? Or, are we just crowning a king? Or, maybe it's just a dictatorship and there isn't any choice at all. I just want to know what the deal is."


 



Recognized


Focus returns to the campfire where the survivors have to make decisions. They must get organized. It is clear that the world is in chaos. Chaos is death to the campers. It cannot be tolerated. Suggestions? Input? I realize that it won't be long before the world is back at the front door knocking. Any ideas are always welcome. Thank you for all your help. mikey
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.