General Fiction posted March 9, 2014 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The government discusses plans. The campers venture out.

A chapter in the book Yosemite

The Council Meets, Recon Peeks

by michaelcahill




Background
Survivors must band together to survive a disaster of unknown origin amidst the beauty of Yosemite.
In the previous installment, Christine and Johnny ventured out to survey the area beyond the camp and ran across two hunters and trailed them to their own camp near Half-Dome. They saw that over a dozen people were there and decided to wait until dark to check it out further. In the meantime, Christine continues to relate in great detail, the dream she had about how the government of the United States continued and the Security Council was meeting to discuss plans for a possible rescue. None of the survivors were aware of this discussion, of course. We continue the story as Christine continues to describe her dream which is identical to one that Johnny has had.


(Christine continues relating her dream)
The Secretary of Defense was speaking, “The question is do we really want to rescue these people. For God’s sake, can they even be rescued? For the most part the continental United States is a wasteland teeming with cannibals. Murder and rape is the norm. This isn’t the Donner party struggling with the morality of survival."
 
"Actually, Joanne, the Donner party were rather murderous and immoral and you know that our facts are sketchy at best. A few wide-eyed stragglers picked up on a deserted highway aren't exactly spokesman for the entire area." Tom Theobald had been considered a courtesy appointment to the cabinet to appease the Democrats.

President Johannsen wanted someone more conservative, but politics demanded at least a token liberal on board. She had come to enjoy Tom's input very much and they had become friends. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development turned out to be a perfect fit for him.
 
Joanne Montalvo, Secretary of State, didn't quite roll her eyes and continued. "Our data is pretty accurate and based on more than a few stragglers. It is a classic breakdown based on hunger and desperation. These people are like animals with an intelligence that bows to will and whim alike. It’s not clear that they even desire rescue. Then if we do rescue them, can they be re-incorporated back into society. I know this; there are millions of them and sooner or later, they will begin to organize. Unless you relish the sight of 2 million cannibals marching on our new capitol here in Salem we better do something,”
 
Donald Romney interjected, “Whatever we do people is going to cost money, be clear on that, money and lots of it, we don’t have it. I can’t make it any more clear.”
 
“Look. This is not some third world country in need of disaster relief. These are citizens of the United States of America. The very ones, I might add that voted us into power. We work for them, or, have you forgotten the basic premise for our democracy.” Tom was insistent in his tone.
 
"Well, need I remind you that the United States is not in the same shape we were a few months ago. We just can't…" Tom cut off Donald in mid-sentence,
 
“Oh come on now. It’s not like these are primitive cave dwellers that know no other existence. They may have resorted to cannibalism as a last resort to survive; you are all acting like they just decided it would be a good idea. There's no proof of that anyway. Anyone that doesn’t have to face such dire conditions can claim any altruistic mantra they want. They aren’t there and can’t say what they would do. You forget that up until the time of the attack these were all regular people going about their lives. They were no different than we and I suspect that they still aren’t.”
 
“Well, I say we begin the food and supply drops. That is the safest thing at this time, I can’t help believe that sanity will return once they realize that help is on the way and rescue is a real thing to hold on for. That is my recommendation Madame President." Joanne was not above some kind of action
 
“I can agree with that. Stabilize things and rescue will be easier and safer.” Tom could be reasonable as well.
 
President Johannsen nodded her head in agreement and the wheels of government began the slow process of turning.
 
The subjects of the debate had no idea, of course, that this discussion was taking place. Indeed, there was very little knowledge of anything that transpired. The only thing they knew is that all hell had broken loose and that they had survived it.
 
Unbeknownst to us civilization was only about eighty miles away, from about 80 miles north of Yosemite all the way north was untouched by any of the attacks. The entire Pacific Northwest and the majority of most of the northern United States and Canada were intact.

The East Coast was obliterated and the mid-west was much as the west was, devastated with pockets of survivors. Mexico suffered greatly and Central America to a lesser degree. The other continents were not hit in a major way though it had become a relative term.

Paris, London and Moscow were all hit with heavy casualties from bio-chemical weapons. It wasn't only Chinese and Korean involvement. It was a coalition of unlikely allies including many terrorists' factions and other countries that were on board for the financial rewards. They were allowed membership for access to their resources usually oil.

The devastation was so thorough that the perpetrators themselves were just as devastated. The death toll in China was in the billions as weather conditions shifted and sent their own deadly clouds back to their senders. World War III never got off the ground. It lasted all of two weeks.

 
Christine's dream made me think about life back in Los Angeles County and I'm sure everyone in our group did as well. Christine was from there also as was Gourmet Joe. Annie and Sprinkles were from San Diego, California. One day we would all find out that there was nothing left of anything we had once called home if what we were dreaming was true.

In our dream, Los Angeles was one of the main targets and was hit with conventional weaponry as well as biochemical. A major earthquake followed within two days of the initial attack. Whatever stood at the time, stood no more. A waste of time to speculate.
  
For Christine and me all of that had little consequence at the moment. We had no knowledge of it and even if we did, we were here and they were there. What mattered now was the work at hand.

The sun was setting in its usual spectacular way. We were used to it. For once, Christine and I paused to enjoy it. I suppose one could call it a romantic moment, I would. I can't speak for her.

There was a time when the sun used to slip down behind the horizon. Now the horizon eagerly awaited it, like a ravenous carnivore with a gapping open jowl. As the sun timidly tried to escape, the horizon leapt up, devoured it in a blood bath of deep reds, and congealing dark purples, as the blood dried into a sticky black paste that covered the night. The stars had left long ago and the moon drifted comatose across the sky barely discernable as a pinkish halo of dying light.

Perhaps romantic was not the word for it. Well, she was so lovely, my vision was certainly not clear. Jonesy and Lester and their people all disappeared somewhere behind a large grove of trees. They were either between them and the mountain or in the mountain. That is what we would find out.

Christine had her bow and a hunting knife she had found. I had my bow, box cutter and a Glock that I simply called a gun. Carlos had taught me the basics of how to use it. I was competent. I knew it felt better in my hand than it did at the back of my head.
 
"Johnny, tents." Christine had a look that I would describe as feral.
 
"I see them. There's four of them, no five. The campfire looks like it has a bench around it halfway and a kind of bar-b-que pit off to the side. There's at least a dozen people down there that I can see. Wanna get closer?"
 
She just nodded her head. She moved like a cat. Every sense at the ready. I felt silly even thinking such a thing under the circumstances, but she looked sexy beyond belief. I chuckled to myself.
 
"I swear, Recon Johnny, you're crazier than I am. I love that about you." She smiled, but went right back into her cat-like stealth mode. I clumsily followed along. An orangutan comes to mind.
 
"Where you folks a headin' all quiet like? If'n ya's lookin' for somethin' to eat, we's got plenty. Y'all don't have to sneak it out."
 
We froze. I had my hand on the Glock and I know that Christine had her hand on her hunting knife, ready to strike.

 



Recognized


A different point of view in much of this chapter. Much of it is Christine relating a dream she has had. It is the same dream that Johnny has had. In it the government discusses the survivors and their plans for them. The characters, of course, know nothing of this. Any thoughts on this? Your input continues to be excellent. I have strayed far, far away from my original little story. Yee haw!! No idea where I'm going just the way I like it. Hahaha. Please don't leave me. Help!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.