Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted March 5, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Alvin T Ethington

The Alvin I Knew

by Helvi2

It was a truly sad expierence coming to FS today and discovering Alvin T Ethington had passed away. He was one of the most caring and generous people I knew. Because Alvin was Gay he was mistreated often by the police in his neighborhood. According to Alvin, there was no justification for the treatment he received. He said many times he'd just be walking home when they'd stop him, bully him and accuse him of being drunk, when this was not the case. These confrontations often ended up with him spending time in jail. Because of the kind man Alvin was he would often give his prison meals to others he felt were less fortunate. Alvin wrote stories about these events posting them right here at Fan Story. Read them if you have a chance and you'll discover the huge heart this man had.

When it came to reviewing Alvin was always willing to rate your work higher if you were willing to rework your poem. To have Alvin say he was proud of what you'd done, or bless your work with a six is the highest compliment you could have received! The day he told me, he believed I WAS talented was such a proud day for me. When I told him how much those words meant to me he said, I once told a woman in one of my classes she was talented. She told him no-one had ever said that to her and looked like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. He told me, "Don't be that woman!" YOU are talented and you need to believe in yourself. Not many people take the time to support you like he did.

Because I am a member on Fan Art too, Alvin introduced me to Haiga. Haiga is art or photography that has a haiku embedded in it. He told me to send my work to the World Haiku Association and enter it in their monthly Haiga contest. I've done so for at least the last four years and it has been accepted for publication on the site almost every time. I am very proud of that accomplishment. Though Alvin knew I had succeeded in getting my work posted there he never knew how well I did. (You don't win any money, but you do have the honor of having your work published on the site if you do well.) I am SO Sorry I waited SO long and never told him the success I had there.

Alvin was extraordinary! For a man that was hurt so many times by the lifestyle he led, he never stopped being kind and generous to those around him. I had to post this story because I wanted you to know the great man we just lost. I will always remember him for the truly wonderful person he was.

I learned from him before he took on his role of instructor here. IMHO I think the job here was made for him and have the feeling he loved it. I hope his heart has found true happiness in Heaven. Rest in Peace my Friend, I will miss you.




Just my thoughts on this GREAT man!
I will definitely miss him! :o) Helvi
:o) Helvi
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Helvi2 All rights reserved.
Helvi2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.