Young Adult Fiction posted February 5, 2014 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Great Spirit rewards selfless tribe.

A chapter in the book Stories of the Dreamtime

The Magic Billabong.

by Aussie



Background
Each chapter is a story complete in itself.
A long time ago when legends were being made, a beautiful tribe lived on the edge of (what is now called) the Simpson Desert, where the wind blows without ceasing and the birds fly backwards - the Brinjal tribe hunted for enough food to keep them fed from day to day. The men hunted wild pig, kangaroo, wallaby, emu; women dug out various snakes to cook and root vegetables, like Yam (sweet potato) these were the staples of their diet. The Brinjal tribe were a kind and peaceful people, willing to share what meagre food they had with surrounding tribes - even inviting them to hunt on their land.

Some tribes took advantage of the kindness of the Brinjal people, taking more than they were entitled too.

"They are weak," said Mesta who was head man of the Kantilla tribe. Mesta was a cruel man, selfish and hungry for anything he could add to his cache of stolen belongings.

Mesta and his mob hunted so much on Brinjal land that the game grew scarce and the Brinjal mob were on the point of starvation. Baraga, head man of the Brinjal tribe, called a meeting. "We must ask the Kantilla tribe for some food - they have taken most of our animals and now they must repay the kindness shown them. Sharpen your spears and be ready to walk to their camp," said Baraga.

The Brinjal men walked some miles outside of their own land to find the Kantilla camp. Old man crow and his mob circled overhead, this was a sign there was food to be had - crows are scavengers and love meat. The camp was empty except for the women and children - Baraga watched the women skin the kangaroo and he pointed to the live animals tied up ready to be slaughtered for food.

"Women! Where are your men?" said Baraga angrily - he was so shocked at the sight of live animals waiting to be slaughtered. Aboriginal people only take what they need to survive and they always thank the animal for giving it's life to feed the tribe.

One woman laughed through toothless gums - "They gone hunting - more food to trade."
"Trade?" Baraga realised that the Kantilla tribe was trading the animals from Brinjal land for goods from other tribes that needed meat.
With heavy hearts and heads hung low, the men shuffled towards their home land.

As they reached the outskirts of their camp, they saw the Kantilla tribe laden down with game from places beyond Brinjal lands. They carried kangaroo on their shoulders, birds were hung on their belts and some wild goats were tethered nearby.
Baraga raised his arm and shouted to Mesta.
"You have abused our kindness and now we have no meat to feed our people. When are you going to repay your debt to us?" Bargara was so angry with the Kantilla people, he spat in the dry dust.

The Kantilla tribe started laughing - especially their leader Mesta. He walked towards Bargara and poked him in the chest.

"You silly old fool, did you think we would return your favour? Your people are weak and now you will starve - maybe find a snake in the tree to eat?" This comment made the Kantilla men laugh harder.

This ungrateful attitude so saddened the hungry brinjal mob that once they had reached their own lands they sat down and wept.

Baiame, Great Spirit, maker of all life, watched on and he was so saddened by the weeping of his beautiful, and kind Brinjal tribe that he decided to change his own law of not interfering in tribal ways. And so he let the tribe cry until they could cry no more.
Great Spirit then added to their tears by creating a special billabong with salt water - salt from their tears and water for the fish to swim in.

The tribe watched as the water rose and lapped their knees; never having seen fish - they ran as fast as they could to escape the silver devils flapping around them.
Baiame laughed at his children and sent a mighty water spout high into the air.

"What is this devilment?" said Bargara. The tribe hid behind the mighty red gum trees - ready to flee at any given moment.

A bolt of lightning from the clear blue sky struck the lake and the voice of Baiame was heard as the rainbow arced across the lake - now alive with all kinds of fish.

The elders realised that Baiame, Great Spirit, had made the lake for them. The tribe went down on their knees to thank the Creator.

"We thank you for your gift, but we don't know what the silver animals are?"

"You will never go hungry again - the fish will feed you, forever. Don't be afraid of other tribes taking your fish - firstly, they will not be able to see them, only you can see the fish and because the Kantilla tribe took your food and treated you so badly, I will banish them to the deserts. As for their wicked leader - Mesta, who kept my animals tied up to slaughter and trade...this act has so enraged me that Mesta will crawl on his belly in the desert as a serpent. His tribe will wander the deserts searching for food - they will always be hungry.
One good turn must deserve another and when someone uses you and your good nature, it is he or she that will suffer in the long run because Great Spirit sees all. By giving all that we have, we heap coals on the head of the selfish people that take advantage of our nature. So, in the end, selfish and cruel people never win, it may seem that they do, but they will always be hungry and discontented with their life."










Recognized


Australian English and grammar -Thanks to Bing for the recent photo of a 'Barramundi' (large fish) most prized in Australia. Baiame, Great Spirit, rewarded the Brinjal tribe with a magic, fishing billabong - only the Brinjal tribe could fish the waters and see the fish. The greedy tribes that abused the brinjal generosity were punished by Baiame - hunger forced them to leave the desert country and find new hunting grounds. While the Brinjal tribe continued to prosper through the wonderful fish found in the magic billabong.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Aussie All rights reserved.
Aussie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.