War and History Flash Fiction posted January 23, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
500 words. Hopefully fiction

Human Nature

by lancellot

Marcus took a deep calming breath. For weeks he fought a war of words with the Supreme Counsel of Avalon and President Alisa Snow.  Until he had his anger under control, he let his fierce gray eyes do the speaking for him.

“I think that’s enough for today.” President Snow rose from her seat. It was a clear signal the meeting was over.

“No, it’s not.” Marcus slammed his artificial fist on the marble table sending cracks running along its length like ripples on a lake. “I call for an emergency session.”

A groan echoed from the other members. They had endured enough of the retired General’s argument for the creation of an army and for spies to be sent across the border into the nation of Gamora.

“General Marcus,” President Snow leaned forward. “I have nothing but respect for the sacrifices your generation has made in fighting for peace all those years ago, but the world has changed. We no longer have to fear shadows in the night. We no longer have to wield swords and fight. We and the diplomatic citizens of Gamora are now of a civilized and more evolved race.  In fact we have one last treaty that will forever ensure everlasting peace.”

President Snow glided to the wall-screen. She touched it, and its black surface was immediately replaced with the rough beefy image of a Gamorian.

“Good evening, Lord Tutt,” she said.

“Greetings, Madam President, are you ready to seal our pact of friendship?”

“I am,” she turned to the council, “All in favor of destroying the last of our nuclear arsenal and armaments signify by saying, peace.”

“Peace,” shouted the members.

“You can’t do this. This is madness.” Marcus looked at the smiling young faces before him, and then at President Snow. “You cannot destroy our means to defend ourselves. I vote no.”

“I vote yes.” President Snow pressed a button on her control belt.

A deep vibration shook the room. Marcus ignored the frightened council and focused his attention on President Snow.

“My God, woman, what have you done?” General Marcus asked, but his keen military mind already knew the answer.

 “I have set us free. I eliminated all Avalon’s evil weapons of war.”  She faced Tutt.

“Well done, President Snow, you have kept your word.”

“I am a woman of honor, Tutt.”

Lord Tutt shook his head. “Unfortunately for you, I am not as honorable as you or your sheep.”

“Lord Tutt, we have a peace treaty that calls for…”

“Silence! Slaves speak only when ordered. Do not resist my troops. Just make your lovely body ready for my arrival. I may be gentle.”

 As members cried, Marcus calmly got up and walked out. He quickly signaled for his submarine and for his family and followers to meet him at the harbor.  They had scant time to escape the horrors that were about to fall on a people who thought man could evolve out of human nature.
 



War writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story where a character is in war or is about to be in war. Fiction or non-fiction.

Recognized


I hate war and death. I wish that man could be trusted and peaceful but let us never replace wishes for reality
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. lancellot All rights reserved.
lancellot has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.