General Poetry posted January 14, 2014 Chapters:  ...138 139 -140- 141... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Reverse Rispetto

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Overlooked

by Treischel

Overlooked
(A Reverse Rispetto)


When I chanced upon this lovely thistle,
Covered throughout with its parts that bristle.
Under my gaze was this overlooked sight,
Tiniest petals of purple and white.

Often considered a sticky weed bud,
Many people think this plant is dour
With its reputation dragged through thick mud.
Actually, it's a beautiful flower.










Sometimes we overlook the beauty in things due to stereotypes. This is considered an obnoxious weed.

This poem is a Reverse Rispetto.
A Rispetto is an Italian poetic format consisting of two quatrains with a changing rhyme scheme. In the first quatrain is abab rhyming. In the second is aabb rhyming.

The meter is usually iambic tetrameter (but for a Reverse Rispetto it becomes trochaic tetrameter, the opposite of iambic) with a rhyme scheme of abab ccdd (but for a Reverse Rispetto the order is switched to aabb cdcd). So the Reverse Rispetto is the opposite in both rhyme scheme and meter.

Rispetto, ( Italian:respect,) plural rispetti, a Tuscan folk verse form, a version of Strambotto. The historic Rispetto lyric is generally composed of eight hendecasyllabic (11-syllable) lines. In its earliest form the rhyme scheme was usually abab abcc. Later, the scheme abab ccdd became popular.

This photograph was taken by the author himself.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.