Children Fiction posted January 7, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Super Pig must rescue a frog on New Year's day

The New Year's Rescue

by Roxanna Andrews

Pinky Pig woke New Year's morning to a white world. It had snowed overnight and everything was covered in a sparkling blanket of snow.

Pinky sniffed the air. She loved how clean everything smelled. She could hear the scraping of a shovel and nudged the small, side barn door open and looked out. Mr. Farmer was shoveling a path from the house to the barn.

"Hey girl," Mr. Farmer called to Pinky. "Don't come out, I'll be there in a minute with your breakfast."

Pinky sat in the door way and "oinked" encouragement to her farmer as he slowly made his way to the barn one shovel of snow at a time. By now the other animals were up and joined Pinky at the door and they mooed and quacked and clucked and barked their encouragement along with Pinky.

"Time for some breakfast." said Mr. Farmer as he shoveled the last pile of snow off the path.

The animals followed him as he filled the troughs with hay and threw out chicken feed. He filled a big bowl with apple peels and left over pancakes for Pinky, her favorite.

"I'll shovel off a space in the barnyard for you to play in," Mr. Farmer told the animals as he grabbed his shovel and went to work.

"Don't stay out here too long," he warned. "Mrs. Farmer and I are going to visit friends so go back in the barn when you get cold."

All of the animals had grown thick coats of fur for the winter, except the duck and geese, of course, so they didn't get as cold as humans. They ventured out into the area cleared of snow and watched Mr. and Mrs. Farmer drive off. The snow ploughs had been out to clear the roads early that morning, so Pinky knew she didn't have to worry about her farmers.

"I wish I could build a snowman," said Gabriel Gosling. "It always looks like such fun."

"We can try," said Alyssa Duckling. She grabbed a wingful of snow and began to shape it into a ball. "We can just make small snowmen." She laughed as the tiny snowman took shape. She used pebbles to make his eyes and mouth and found a tiny bit of carrot left over from one of Pinky's lunches for the nose.

"That's awesome!" said Gabriel, and he and Alyssa made an army of tiny snowmen.

As the little ones played, Freddy Billy Goat scooped up some snow on his horns and threw it at Pinky.

"Snowball fight!" he yelled and all the animals began to throw snow, laughing and chasing each other around the farmyard.

Jesse Monkey was, of course, the best snowball maker and thrower since he had hands like a human and he soon won the battle.

"Help!"

Pinky stopped to listen. "Quiet everyone! Did you hear that?"

"Help!"

"Where's it coming from?" The animals looked, but they couldn't see anyone.

Pinky had slipped away to the woodshed and put on her costume.

THIS WAS A JOB FOR SUPER PIG!

"Barney Horse I need your help!" Super Pig called. Super Pig climbed up on Barney's back and looked all around. Behind a snow bank, Super Pig could see a tiny, green webbed foot waving from under the snow.

"One of the frogs has fallen into the snow. I have to hurry or he could freeze!"

Super Pig ran into the snow, but didn't get very far before the snow was over her head.

"Oh dear!" cried Super Pig.

"I'll get the sled," said Jesse Monkey. He was the best one to push the sled because he was small enough to walk on the snow and not sink. Super Pig jumped on the sled and Jesse Monkey pushed it to where the tiny webbed foot stuck out of the snow. Super Pig reached down and pulled out Justus Frog.

"Justus, what are you doing out here in the snow alone?" asked Super Pig.

"I'm not alone. Izabella's with me."

Super Pig looked down and there was Izabella Frog shivering in the cold, wet snow. Super Pig pulled her out too.

"We better get you to the barn and warm you up," Super Pig said.

"We thought it would be fun to play in the snow," said Izabella. "But it's not."

By this time, Jesse Monkey's feet were too cold for him to push the sled back to the barn.

"Just let my feet warm up, I'll be okay," said Jesse Monkey as he jumped on the sled and began to rub some warmth into his feet.

The sun was now high overhead and shining down on the snow. It was beginning to melt and wasn't as deep as before, but was very wet.

"The ducks and geese can help," said Alyssa. "We can all get together and push."

"Good idea," said Gabriel.

The duckling quacked loudly and soon all the ducks and geese came running. They half walked and half swam over the melting snow to the sled. Together they managed to push it back to the barn. Everyone went inside and lay in the hay under blankets to get warm.

Soon Mr. and Mrs. Farmer were home and brought in buckets of hot cocoa for them to drink as a special treat. Mrs. Farmer even put tiny marshmallows and whipped cream on top.

"Happy New Year!" said the Farmers.

"Happy New Year!" replied the animals, but to the Farmers it sounded like, oink -oink, bark-bark, quack-quack, neigh, and croak-croak!









Recognized


I know ducks and geese do not like the cold and fly south, but these are farm ducks and geese so they stay put on the farm and keep warm in the barn. =}
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.