Essay Non-Fiction posted December 16, 2013


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A true story of infidelity

How It Happens Part 1

by michaelcahill














Adultery, adulteress, adulterer. These are fire and brimstone terms. One can imagine a wild-eyed white bearded preacher with lightning striking behind him and fire shooting from his finger as he points at a wretched soul about to be swallowed up into the steaming bowels of hades.
 
Infidelity is one of the most damnable of transgressions in western cultures. Seldom does an act receive such a unified condemnation. Cheating on one's mate is common. It is universally thought to be the wrongest of wrongs. Even cheaters themselves agree.
 
Imagine two married couples that are the best of friends. They share a large portion of their lives together. They often vacation together. There is trust between them in abundance. The ultimate betrayal would be an act of infidelity amongst them.  
 
I know of such a scenario. I know the people involved and I know them well. I know how it happened and why. Is it possible that they were justified in cheating on their spouses? Or, is it understandable that they did? This is their story. You decide for yourself.

 
Jack had been looking for work for quite a while. After a long search, he had a job again. He would receive a paycheck every week.
 
Bill had worked for Petroleum Dynamics for four years. After six months in the warehouse he had been promoted to the sales staff and had been on the phones ever since. He had a friendly outgoing personality and enjoyed favor among the small workforce.
 
Tension at best and hatred at worst would describe the feeling that arose when the boss walked in the room. Mr. Atkins ran his company the way he wanted and it didn't have to make sense and it often didn't. There would be no open ear if one had a suggestion.
 
The employees knew to keep their mouths shut and not bother with suggestions. Everyone did their job the Atkins's way and that became the easiest way to insure longevity.
 
Jack and Bill quickly became friends and shared many common interests. Bill took the new hire under his wing and let him know how things worked and the dynamic concerning Mr. Atkins.
 
It wouldn't be long at all until invitations to dinner would be extended and wives would be met. From there, outings to various events would follow and finally joint vacations with the four of them taking off together for a week.
 
They visited the Grand Canyon, Canada, Mexico, Hawaii and many other locations. They always went together. They were close and thoroughly enjoyed each other's company.
 
There never appeared to be a problem within the group. A problem did exist. As did another one. Both marriages were unhappy. They didn't appear unhappy especially to those that observed from the outside.
 
But, Bill knew from listening to Jack that Jack had issues with his wife Margie. Margie knew that Cindy had issues with her husband Bill.
 
Jack had a lesbian for a wife. He knew it. His wife Margie denied it but the truth had begun to make itself known to her. Their sex life had been terrible from the very first kiss which Jack found to be horrifying.
 
He quickly taught her how to kiss. But, it always struck him odd that someone would kiss in such a cold strange way. She just kind of opened her mouth and tried to swallow his head. Sexually she participated but he could feel the extreme reluctance of her body.
 
She denied it verbally but, her body clearly wanted nothing to do with his body. In spite of knowing this it began to take a toll on his psyche. It affected his performance and he began to wonder if he could perform with a straight woman if he ever got the chance again.
 
Bill treated Cindy horribly when it came to sex. He belittled her publicly and he didn't even realize it. "I get mine right away. Hahaha! If she doesn't get hers that is her problem."
 
Then it would get worse. "I ain't puttin' my lips anywhere near that thing. You ever seen a baby born. Gross man! Hahaha!" Depending on how much he had to drink it could get worse.
 
Jack wanted to knock his teeth out. Cindy had already begged him not to. She worried about their two kids. She said it didn't matter, it was just drunk talk and everything was fine.
 
She would then tell Jack how sorry she felt that he didn't receive any love from his wife and that he deserved it being so sweet and understanding. They became very close and consoled each other as friends often.
 
It never occurred to them to be more than friends. Still, the feeling of warmth and compassion for each other became quite a bit more satisfying than anything in either of their marriages could provide. They were closer to each other than they were to their spouses.
 
As time went by the couples spent more and more time together. Cindy and Jack found every opportunity to suggest a get together. Bill and Margie had no problem with it as they weren't all that thrilled themselves with married life.
 
For everyone involved the four of them together made for a more satisfying relationship. The couples by themselves didn't work on any level. This remained the state of the two marriages for several years.
 
It remained the state of the friendship for several years as well. No one crossed any lines. Bill and Margie became very close friends. Cindy and Jack became inseparable friends.
 
 
Slowly but surely as the years went by the fabric of marriage became thinner and thinner. The bonds of friendship became stronger and stronger. The group continued to socialize on a regular basis. But, now it became Bill hanging out with Margie and Cindy hanging out with Jack.

The girls were cordial and the guys were as well. Jack and Bill got along well at work but, mostly discussed work related things.

Jack had great animosity for Bill but, never let on lest he jeopardize his friendship with Cindy. That was his priority.
 



Recognized


A true story of infidelity. On the surface it sounds cut and dried and damnable. I offer the details and leave the analysis to you. This is part one. Part two to follow.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.