General Poetry posted December 4, 2013 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
He's coming for me...

A chapter in the book A Picture's Worth a Thousand Poems

Horrified

by Dean Kuch

The author has placed a warning on this post for sexual content.
 photo Neglectisabuse_zps993c8778.jpg
 photo 329652666_13884661_zps1afa1e16.gif



Recognized


horrified
adjective
1.showing or indicating great shock or horror: a horrified gasp; a horrified expression.
2.accompanied or characterized by a feeling of horror: horrified interest.
3.struck with horror; shocked: horrified and outraged spectators.


Child abuse can have damaging effects not only on the children who suffer it, but on communities that must address the aftermath of abuse.

The age when abuse begins for most children is 18 months or younger.

Number of children in the United States who died because of abuse or neglect in 2012: 1,537

Of the number of children who died because of abuse or neglect...
79.4% were younger than four years of age
47.7% were younger than one year in age

Rate at which boys become victims vs. girls: Nearly the same (48.5% male vs. 51.2% female)

Percentage of abusers who are someone the child knows (a parent/caregiver, other relatives, neighbors, friends, or persons considered family): 81.2%

Age of most perpetrators of child abuse (36.3% of cases): 20 to 29 years

Babies who are victims of shaken baby syndrome can suffer bleeding in the eye or brain; damage to the spinal cord and neck; rib and bone fractures. These injuries can be fatal.

Child physical abuse can result in the malformation of the brain, resulting in impaired mental development and lack of growth in vital areas.

Child abuse victims as young as three years of age have shown signs of depression and withdrawal symptoms.

Child abuse victims are more likely to exhibit anti-social behaviors, including borderline personality disorders and violent behavior.

Child abuse victims placed in foster or kinship care because of abuse or neglect were found to score lower than other students in tests of cognitive capacity, language development, and academic achievement

How many reports of child abuse are made?

Number of reports of child abuse every year in the United States: 3.6 million

Number of children involved in child abuse reports: 6 million...

When is it ever going to end?




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dean Kuch All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dean Kuch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.