Humor Non-Fiction posted August 7, 2013 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A true story about how things have changed.

A chapter in the book Geoffrey's Musings.

Christmas Pudding, Then and Now

by Sankey


In Australia and I think in a lot of other places, too, there has been a tradition of putting silver coins in the Christmas or Plum Pudding for the guests to find at Christmas Dinner.

When I was about 3 years old, I did find a threepenny bit in the Christmas pudding. Or rather I didn't find it - I SWALLOWED IT!

When it was recovered, it got nailed to the headboard over the kitchen entrance...and it stayed there for years.

We can't put the "dismal currency" as my brother called it when it came in here in Australia in 1966 (when we changed from sterling - pounds shillings and pence - to decimal currency- dollars and cents)in Plum Puddings as the make-up (metals and so on) of the new currency coins would poison someone.

So every year my sister would collect the sterling coins from the winners out of the Christmas pudding they had partaken of, replacing them with the new currency. She would then wash the old coins and save them for the next Christmas Pudding the following year.



Recognized


Someone was posting on Facebook a while ago, about a little girl putting stuff in her nappy (diaper for Uncle Sam's folks). I decided to share something that happened when I was a kid as well.
Here is a YouTube show on the change from Sterling to Decimal Currency in 1966 in Australia
Currency Change Video
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sankey All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Sankey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.