Essay Fiction posted July 25, 2013 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Satire on the long awaited Opera House completion time.

A chapter in the book Geoffrey's Musings.

When The Sails Sailed.

by Sankey


It was a bright sunny Sunday morning when the Prime Minister arose from his bed to take a look out of his harbour facing window.

The Honourable George Higginbottom as PM of Australia in 2065, had long awaited the final completion of our wonderful Sydney Opera House on Bennelong Point, the former location of the Tram Depot up till the early 60's, when trams ceased in Sydney.

He was so enamoured with this "Wonder of the world" to be; he decided to have a special residence set up on the opposite side of the Harbour to the official PM Sydney residence at "Kirribilli House."
He wanted to be there and check on it every day.

So back to the gazing from the window to where the Opera House SHOULD HAVE BEEN!
It had gone!
Then he lifted his gaze a little and shock! Horror! There was his precious Opera House with it's well known sails gleaming in the morning sun, sailing under the Harbour Bridge!

Unknown to him and most of the people of New South Wales and the world too I guess, the Opera House had been mounted on a large pontoon structure, and connected to the shore by big chains.

After a storm the previous night, the rough sea had caused the pontoon to dislodge itself from it's moorings.

So there was the lovely Opera House, gently drifting under the Harbour Bridge.
Prime Minister Higginbottom was most distressed.
He had waited all this time to attend his first concert at the new Opera House, and it seemed he would have to row out to it.





Recognized


This was written originally as a composition for English Class in my Second Year of High School in 1965, when we were definitely waiting for the Opera House to Open.
I have done another edit thanks to some pretty good points from one of the reviewers, whose suggestions I have mostly 'taken on board' for changes hehe.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sankey All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Sankey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.