General Poetry posted July 12, 2013 Chapters:  ...61 62 -63- 64... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A modified Respitto Poem

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Creature Comfort

by Treischel


Creature Comfort
(A modified Respitto Poem)





A little green grasshopper rests
On a pretty Black-eyed Susan
It seems to have taken the best
Shelter from hoppity cruisin'

The yellow petal sheds some shade
On tiny creature from the glade
Off he jumped with his own power
As I bent to view this flower.







A walk in the park with my grandson resulted in him spotting this flower and bug. The wildflower is a Black-eyed Susan. He got all excited and asked me to take its picture and write a poem. So here it is.

I wrote this poem is a Rispetto style, but played with it a bit. The Rispetto is a classic Italian form consisting of only 8 lines divided into two quatrains. The meter is iambic tetrameter: daDUMdaDUMdaDUMdaDUM. The distinguishing characteristic of this form is that the rhyme scheme changes from abab alternate-line rhyming in stanza one to ccdd couplet rhyming in the second.
I thought, as long as the rhyming changes, why not change and alternate the meter too, between iambic and trochee. So in Stanza 1 I have the meter set as: iamb/troch/iamb/troch. While in the second stanza I have: iamb/iamb/troch/troch. Now there's some alternation!

This photograph was taken by the author on July 11, 2013.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.