General Fiction posted July 11, 2013 Chapters:  ...48 49 -50- 51... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Two women meet in a bar

A chapter in the book Short

Drinks

by Bill Schott

Kiley entered the private tavern and proceeded to the bar. Of the eight stools, only one was occupied. A young woman, mid-twenties, was perched on the fourth from the left. She sat straight and tall, her auburn hair, from the back, seemed well-attended-to and styled. She was sleek, and tightly wrapped in a Jovani gown, which melded with her slender frame. The legs were bare, as the length of the skirt dropped from its split and partially shrouded the barstool.

The decision on seating found her on a stool to the right of the ginger-haired debutant. "Aren't you Shirley? Bobby's new girl?" Kiley asked, already knowing.

"Sherry," she corrected with a smile. "Yes, Bobby's my man. Who might you be?"

Kiley considered her answer. She had been Bobby's girl for a while, until she moved up to Sal, Bobby's boss. They were all part of the syndicate and it was run with rules and conditions that everyone abided by. One rule was, if the boss wants your girl, you indulge him.

"Just an acquaintance," Kiley smiled back. "What are you drinking?"

"Nothing yet," was her timid reply. "I'm not much of a drinker."

Kiley leaned in closer to Sherry, who did the same. She then whispered, "If you want the decent liquor, you can't just order it generically." Looking furtively at the man serving drinks behind the bar, she added, "You have to address the bartender by his name, and order a specific brand."

Sherry gave a wrinkled smile and said, "Show me what you mean."

Without hesitation, Kiley returned, "Okay. Listen. The server's name is BJ, but I won't call him that. See what happens." Kiley sat upright and piped, "Give me a rum and coke."

The bartender nodded, reached under the bar and returned holding an effervescent glass of brown soda pop. Kiley accepted the drink and sipped it. She 'Mmmmed' as she simultaneously rolled her eyes at Sherry, indicating her annoyance. She then whispered, "This is probably from a bottle marked Brand X. It's weak, tastes more like rump, than rum."

"What should I order?" asked Sherry.

Kiley whispered in the younger woman's ear. Sherry then spouted, "BJ! Bring me a Bacardi and Coke!"

The bartender smiled and turned to the wall of liquor bottles. He reached for and returned to the bar with a bottle of Bacardi 151. He poured a generous shot into a glass, followed by an equal spritz of Coca-cola from a hose dispenser.

"I guess this is good," Sherry smiled, as she sipped the drink.

"It gets better," returned Kiley. "Drinks in this bar are a hundred dollars a shot."

"What!" blurted Sherry, almost spilling her suddenly pricey cocktail. "I don't have that kind of money!"

"That's okay, Shirley," Kiley smiled, "Patrick isn't expecting money."

"Who's Patrick?" Sherry's eyes were showing the first inklings of her growing fear.

"He's your bartender," replied Kiley, as she rose and headed for the door.

"But -," her eyes darted back and forth from the barkeep to the woman, "who's BJ?"

"It's a what, Shirley, not a who." Kiley grinned and added, "There's a firm rule about paying for your drinks. No one leaves until their tab is cleared."

Kiley called back over her shoulder as she went through the door, "Say hi to knobby- er- Bobby for me." Her laughter continued and echoed through the closed door.



 



Two women sit at a deserted bar writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story using the premise two woman sit at an otherwise deserted bar. They share a secret. They strike up a friendship.

Recognized


Thanks to photoman12 for use of the photo
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.