Romance Fiction posted July 14, 2013 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Star Spangled Banner

A chapter in the book The Animal Doctor

Of Love and War

by amahra




Background
Nathan's love has grown beyond the mere physical. It has become love for his God, for country, and his family that stirs his blood. And he is willing to risk his life for all.
It was 1917, and everyone who cared about Nathan pretended to be happy, but only Nathan was truly happy. He had joined the US Army Veterinary Corps-Hospital, No. 18 station, at Sougy, France.

He and hundreds of young men were leaving Sweet Springs in the morning. America had entered the war.

**************

Nathan spent his last night staring down into Eva's green eyes, tasting her hot breath. She felt the intensity of his lovemaking like nothing she'd ever felt before, as if a hot spring was welling up inside of her. Nothing stirs the passion in a man like fearing his own mortality...as if it were his last night on earth.

Eva arched her back until her soft flesh met the hard ripples on his abdomen; she rocked to the rhythm of multiple orgasms as he thrust his manhood like the beat of a soft drum. Beads of sweat rolled off their bodies like loose pearls. The sounds of their passionate cries filled the room and hovered over them like a sweet invisible fog. They lay panting and wet in each other's arms for what seemed an hour before Nathan finally broke the silence.

"I'm going to miss the sweet scent of your hair," he said, sniffing a red lock.

Eva rose from the bed and stood in front of the mirror. She snipped a lock of her hair and folded it in a clean white handkerchief. "What are you doing?" he asked, frowning. She didn't answer, but placed the handkerchief in the pocket of his uniform that hung not far from the bed.

"There," she said, walking back to the bed; "you'll always have a part of me with you." She slid down beside him.

"That was so sweet of you, Love," he said, smiling. He kissed her softly on the lips.

But slowly Nathan's smile began to fade, and a bit of light seemed to leave his eyes.

"I know I've disappointed you many times," he said, looking off. "Having you stand in the shadow of another woman all these years." She put a finger under his chin and turned his face back towards hers.

"Let's not talk about that tonight."

"Not tonight? My God, especially tonight. I'll be gone in the morning."

"Exactly. So why ruin what few precious moments we have together?"

"If not now, when? I may never get to say this."

"I don't want to hear or even think about you not returning."

"Eva, you must be realistic. There's a war going on and not all of us are coming home. A man needs to get some things off his chest."

"Tell me when you return," she asserted, raising an eyebrow.

"Alright. You win. But you do realize I'm not the only man who's trying to say some delicate things to the woman he loves before shipping out tomorrow."

"What did you just say?"

"I said you realize I'm not the only man who's trying to say some delicate things to..."

The sudden appearance of water welling up in her eyes tied his tongue. "What is it?" he asked, gazing at her puzzled.

"That's the first time you've ever said you loved me," she managed to say over the lump in her throat.

"Oh, Sweetheart," he whispered, wiping a tear from her cheek.

"I've loved you ever since I first laid eyes on you, seven years ago," she said.

"I know. I don't know what took me so long."

"You were worth the wait," she whispered, snuggling up to his nude muscular frame.

She caressed him to near bursting. Nathan rolled over and covered her with his body. He settled deep within her. She pulled her knees up high. Their bodies moved like the waves on a turbulent sea. His tongue sweet, inviting...her breath hot, like a panting breeze. After they had exhausted their goodbyes, she slept cradled in his arms until daybreak.

**************

The new morning seemed especially cool. The April sun burst forth its passionate warmth and settled on the new buds of spring flowers. Eva rolled over sleepily, reached for her beloved, but felt only the wrinkled bedcovers. She sat straight up, ran her fingers through her thick locks and yawned. She smelled the thick aroma of coffee brewing. Wrapping a sheet around her, she followed the trail of the aroma.

"Good morning, Sweetheart," Nathan greeted, emptying a pan of scrambled eggs into a plate.

"What on earth...?" Eva asked. Nathan stood dressed in his full Army uniform with one of Eva's aprons tied around his chest.

"You just sit your little bottom right here," he said, guiding her to a chair.

He sat a plate of eggs, ham, grits and biscuits in front of her. He poured her a cup of hot coffee, and kissed her on the forehead before setting the pot down. He fixed his own plate and sat down across from her. Eva grinned so hard, she could hardly eat.

"Honey, I should be doing this for you," she said, buttering a biscuit.

"Well, I just thought I'd give you a little something extra to remember me by," he said, pouring himself a cup of hot brew.

They ate in silence, looking across at one another momentarily and smiling. After breakfast, Eva got dressed and prepared to see Nathan off at the train station.

An hour later, about six o'clock, Pete drove up in a 1917 King Model EE. It came straight off the King Auto Co. assembly line, in Detroit, Michigan. He honked the horn until Eva came to the door.

"Oh, My God, you're driving an automobile. How did you learn to drive so quickly?" she asked, gasping at the sight. Pete grinned like a Cheshire cat.

"It don't take old Pete long to learn nothing. Why, I can learn just about anything in a week's time," he said, gripping the steering wheel.

Nathan came to the door.

"Now don't you look fine in your uniform?" Pete said, grinning.

"Pete, you old rascal you, where's the horse?"

"I still drive old Bruno from time to time. Miss Elisabeth don't quite trust old King here. Couldn't get it to go one Sunday...made us late for church. Miss Elisabeth ain't been in it since."

Eva and Nathan couldn't take their eyes off the shiny brass. They walked closer to get a better look. Both ran their hands across the smooth, red-colored steel. Eva shook her head with astonishment.

"People in Sweet Springs still come and go the old-fashioned way, cause there's only a few roads fit for these new beauties," Pete explained.

"Yeah. Some leading to church and others to the train station." Nathan answered.

"It kinda sounds like something the Good Lord might'a had a hand in. One road leads you to heaven and the other to a train," Pete joked.

"I'm sure glad you're the one taking me to the station, Pete. I really missed you driving me around," Nathan said. He and Eva continued admiring the auto, but seemed to hesitate.

"Well, get in. It ain't gonna bite you," Pete teased. He opened the door, Eva and Nathan climbed onto the seat. Right away, Eva marveled at the new smell, while Nathan couldn't get enough of touching the smooth black leather interior.

"Is that all the stuff you taking with you, Mr. Nate?" Pete asked, lifting his bag.

"I'm afraid so. Everything else Uncle Sam will provide once I reach my destination."

Pete started the car. Eva appeared frightened at the strange sound. She grabbed Nathan's arm and held it tightly.

"Now, don't you worry none, Miss Eva," Pete said, noticing her reaction. "Old Pete gonna get you there and back real safe. Just sit back and relax," he assured her, easing the car forward.

"Where's the Doc and Miss Elisabeth and the twins?" Nathan asked.

"Doc drove them to the train station in the carriage," Pete said. "Miss Elisabeth said she's not gettin' in this thing, not even for you." Nate and Eva laughed as Pete continued to entertain with singing and teasing as always, driving slowly so as not to frighten Eva or any horses he might encounter on the road.

**************

As their auto pulled into the train station, they observed a sea of Army uniforms covering the platform. And it appeared the entire town, including Mayor Clarksdale and his circle of town officials, had showed up for the celebrated send-off of Sweet Springs' sons.

Koren, and other elderly men, greeted Nathan with bear hugs and well wishes for his safe return. Mrs. Koren and the twins tried to hold it together, but broke down when Nate boarded the train. Eva stood staring into his deep blue eyes until he grabbed and kissed her warmly. He turned and hurried onto the train. Weeks ago, he'd written his mother and siblings in Oklahoma. They expressed their love and promised never to cease praying for him.

As Nathan looked out of the moving train window, Pete's white-gloved hand caught his eye above all the other vigorous waving.
It had been that same white-gloved hand that greeted him when he'd stepped off the train a young apprentice over a decade ago. It proved the only wave that drew a stream of tears from his eyes.



Recognized


This is not a complete chapter, but a Fanstory chapter made short for my readers.

For those who are new to the story:

Characters:

Nathan Daniels....Main Character
Duchess Margaret...Nathan's heart breaker and lost love (not mentioned in this chapter)
Doctor Koren.......Nathan's Mentor
Elisabeth Koren....Doctor Koren's wife
Koren Twins .......Ella and Ellie
Eva Mitchell.......Deeply in love with Nathan

Koren's Servants:

Pete...........Negro Driver
Merald.............Head housekeeper
Jenny...............Maid and cook

Supporting Characters:
Sweet Springs Town folk

Art Work by Google.com
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.