Romance Fiction posted June 4, 2013 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
It's time to heal an aching heart

A chapter in the book The Animal Doctor

The Lost Angel

by amahra




Background
Nathan Daniels, an aspiring doctor, falls in love with a woman said to be above his station. He has won her heart, but can he win her hand?

The ride home was made pleasant by the memories of her sweet lips. He held the handkerchief she had given him up to his nose and breathed her scent deep inside of him.

Pete allowed Nathan this moment; he neither joked, nor sang as he usually did.

The night grew warmer. The stars were the sparkles in her dress; the moon... her flashing white smile; the rhythmic clopping of the horse's hooves matched the musical beatings of his own heart. It was as though everything around him was in sync with his passion for Margaret.

"Goodnight, Sir."

"Goodnight, Pete."

Nathan walked into the house a far different man than when he left. The Korens stayed up to hear all about his evening.

"Did you have a nice time at the ball, dear?" Merald asked. She yawned widely and took his cloak, gloves, and hat.

"Yes. She was just beautiful," he said, starry eyed, making his way into the living room to greet the Korens.

"She? But I asked about the...oh never mind...the poor lovesick thing," she said, mumbling all the way up the stairs.

Nate entertained the Korens about the funny parts of the night, including the old man dipping his fat wife and getting smacked...and the tale about the grizzly bear. He mentioned how beautiful Margaret looked, but nothing of their intimate moments.

Satisfied with Nate's account of his evening, Elisabeth got ready for bed.

"Night, dear. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself," she said, kissing Nate on the cheek.

"Goodnight, Mrs. Koren."

She walked over to the big chair where her husband sat and kissed him on the lips.

"Night, Love."

"Goodnight, sweetheart, I won't be long," Doc said.

Alone at last, both men settled back with a glass of Port and two very good cigars. Nathan appeared happier than he'd ever been. Doc mentioned Margaret several times, but Nate managed to dance all around the intimate part.

Later that night, he didn't dream of her; he didn't have to. The taste of her was now a reality. Having the woman he loved seemed imminent.

**************

Sunday morning, Nathan attended church with the Korens. The twins looked beautiful in their white dresses and bonnets.

"Why is Nate looking around so much?" the servant whispered to Merald.

"I don't know, Jenny," she said quietly.

The organ music piped out, 'Onward Christian Soldiers.' The congregation stood and sang. Nathan stood with the hymn book open, but had a hard time singing with the twins elbowing each other over who would hold the hymn book. Mrs. Koren settled the fight by taking the book since neither could read.

"I hope he's not expecting Margaret to walk through these church doors," Jenny said between mouthing the words to the song.

"I don't think that's why he's looking around. Everyone knows the Wainwrights attend their own private chapel right there on their estate."

"Well, if you ask me, I think it's mighty snobbish of them not wanting to worship the Lord with us ordinary folk. I don't know what he sees in that Wainwright girl anyway. It's plenty of nice young girls...."

"Shhhh," Merald said, staring down Jenny.

Pastor Fleming entered the pulpit. He prayed for a couple of minutes.

"Open your Bibles to Matthew 21:43. 'Therefore I tell you that the Kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to people who will produce its fruit....'" (sermon)

After the service, Nathan and the Korens rode home, but Merald and Jenny wanted to walk and enjoy more of the sun on their faces.

The street bustled with well-dressed coachmen, colorful dresses and bonnets, and children dressed in their Sunday best. Birds tweeted from bright green trees; and butterflies teased the children by flying just close enough to their little fingers, but fluttering away before being grabbed.

"Oh look, there goes the Williams girl; she's grown to be such a pretty little thing. I think she would make a fine wife for our Nathan, don't you?"

"Perhaps," Merald answered.

"Yoo-hoo! Merald! Jenny!" Two servants from another household called out and were running to catch up to them. As soon as they caught their breath, right away Jenny started telling them about Nate being sweet on Margaret. The women battled back and forth gossiping about the shameful way the two love birds had made out at the ball. After a few moments, Merald had enough.

"And to think you all just came out of church. I wouldn't blame the Good Lord for sending a lightning flash right in the mix of ya'." She bolted off and walked back to the house alone.

**************

Nathan felt as if he were floating on a cloud. The memories of that night stirred in his brain. He'd slept like an infant for the past three nights, playing that kiss over and over in his thoughts. Now...what could be more wonderful than his being summoned to the Wainwrights' ranch to treat one of their prized steers.

The driver turned onto the path leading to the house that sat near the edge of a lake. A flowing canal washed silently over the small stones. The house was large and white with elaborate wood trim that decorated the galleys of its framed structure. A story and a half high stood a central chimney.

A stout Negro woman smiled and ushered him into a room; it smelled of rosemary-mint unguents.

The walls and floors were made of fine wood. On the shiny floors were scattered calfskin rugs with Mexican prints. The guest sitting area had a large stone fireplace with an Elk head above it. In front of the fireplace were red velvet chairs facing each other.

The Negro woman had him sit in one of the chairs. Nathan clenched his medical bag and wondered who'd sit opposite him as he sat waiting to be announced.

Big Tom Wainwright stood every bit of his name. At six foot five and a little under two hundred pounds, he was still the tough hombre he'd been as a younger man. The Wainwrights were part of the great flood of farmers that poured into Texas during the 1830s.

Tom's grandfather (Boss Wainwright) quickly saw the significance of fresh pastures where cattle could thrive with minimum care. Soon, the name Wainwright became synonymous with cattle raising.

Joe Wainwright, Tom's father, took over the business after Boss died, and during the civil war, sold beef to the Confederacy until 1863. By the end of the war, roasts were selling in Eastern markets twenty-five to thirty cents a pound and Texas steer, six to ten dollars a head. By the time Tom took over the family business in 1881, the Wainwrights were cattle rich beyond their wildest dreams.

Nathan stood as Big Tom entered the room. He held out his hand and greeted Nate warmly. He offered a drink, but Nathan politely refused, stating his preference to not drink on the job. Tom was pleased with his answer and poured one for himself. He sat facing Nathan and took a gulp of his drink.

"So, how do you like Texas, Mr. Daniels?"

"Oh...I like it fine, Sir."

"People are starting to talk about your work. You're doing well under Koren. He's well respected in these parts."

"Yes. I know how fortunate I am to be studying under such a man."

Tom stood, walked over to the fireplace and took a cigar out of the box. He offered one to Nathan, but he politely refused. He lit the cigar; after a few puffs, he took a gulp of his drink and sat back down. Nathan felt intimidated and with good reason.

"My daughter tells me you were quite a favorite at the dance."

"Well...I don't know about being a favorite; I really had a wonderful time."

"I see. And this wonderful time...was it more to do with the dance or my daughter?" he exclaimed, puffing away.

"Sir?"

"I'll get right to the point. Margaret's mother and I heard about some things that went on at the dance."

"What things...Sir?" Nathan swallowed hard.

Wainwright told Nathan how disturbed he felt about him taking his daughter out in the dark, kissing and touching her inappropriately. Nate denied it and assured him that he would never disrespect Margaret. He tried so hard to convince Tom that he accidentally blurted that he loved her.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that. I've never even said those words to Margaret."

"You know, it doesn't take me long to size up a man. I believe you when you say you have the utmost respect for my daughter. I'm not stupid. I know gossip always adds more to what really happened. I believe you were a gentleman, because I trust my daughter. My daughter would never be interested in a man who was anything less than a gentleman."

"Oh, thank you, Sir."

"But I'm afraid I can't permit you to see her again."

"What?"

"It's nothing personal."

"If you mean money. I'm an apprentice right now, but in a few years I'll have my own practice. Maybe I won't be able to give her what you have given her, but she won't starve or be in want. Animal doctors make a very good living...and..."

"Mr. Daniels, I'm sure you're a fine man and will make some young woman a wonderful husband...just not my Margaret. Don't bother to plead your case. My mind is made up."

"'Your' mind is made up? I'm sorry, Mr. Wainwright, but this is 1906 and young people make up their own minds. You can't decide who people can or cannot love. Nobody thinks that way anymore."

"Mr. Daniels, it's been a pleasure meeting you; good-day, Sir," Tom said, standing to his feet.

"I won't leave until I see Margaret."

"Good-day Daniels, or be escorted out by some of my ranch-hands. And they will not be gentle, I assure you."

Nathan stood staring at him. "You didn't call me here for any sick animal," he said clenching his teeth. "You just wanted to tell me to stay away from Margaret."

Wainwright never answered but turned and walked back into the main house, leaving Nathan as if he'd been hit in the stomach.

**************

During the ride home, he didn't enjoy the scenery as he once had. The sun was shining, but a dark cloud hung over him. He'd carry that cloud up to his room; sleep with it over his head, like a black feathered pillow.

The Korens had received word about the real reason Nathan was asked to the Wainwrights' ranch. But there was no way to warn him in time. When he returned home, they watched him walk slowly, silently into the house, across the room and up the stairs. They said nothing and left him alone.

For weeks, Nathan tried to reach Margaret. His letters were always returned unopened. He suspected that it was not her doing. Then one evening, he heard a carriage drive up to the door and stop, then a knock. When he opened the door, the Wainwright's driver said not a word, but handed him a letter and quickly left. It read:

My Dearest Darling: I know you are hurting as I am. I know you love me as I love you. Please don't judge my family too harshly. They are so deeply buried in tradition, they know not the love you and I feel for one another. Be patient my sweet and be assured that we will be together soon. Do not contact me. But wait for instructions.
Love you always, Margaret.

For the first time in weeks, Nathan felt the strong beat of his pulse. He held the letter against his chest and read it over and over until he knew each line by heart. He had no idea what Margaret was up to, but was willing to forsake everyone and everything to spend a lifetime with her. The Korens noticed a change in Nathan's mood, but didn't dare ask him about it.

Dr. Koren was happy that Nathan had taken much of his work load. People even began to trust him with the well-being of their animals as they had Dr. Koren. Nathan's hope was to establish himself quickly so he could start his own practice. That way he could marry Margaret and move far away from her family's interference.

Daniels went about on pins and needles waiting for the next letter. It finally arrived days after the first one. The Negro made no eye contact when handing him the letter. Nate read it and blew a breath of relief. He was to meet her at Somners Creek...a popular hide-away where her young friends went to escape their parents' monitoring eyes.

When he arrived there, the sky appeared a bright orange. The driver sat at attention high up on the carriage and looked dutifully, straight ahead. Margaret, dressed in a dark cloak with the hood pulled over her head, ran into his arms. They kissed passionately before going inside. They ran to the little cottage. They were barely inside the room, when they fell into each others arms and onto the cot. He held her and looked down into her beautiful brown eyes and kissed her.

"You know I love you."

"I know," she said. "And I can't get 'you' out of my mind."

"Let's run away together."

"Don't be silly. How would we live?" she said, running a finger across his lips.

"I'll be a practicing doctor after another year or so. We could have a great life together."

"Oh, honey." She jumped up to a sitting position. "Father would never permit it."

He folded his arms around her from behind, held her to his chest and rubbed his cheek against hers. She turned, pushed him back on the cot and straddled him. He looked up at her with surprise. She took the comb out of her hair and shook her head until her dark waves flowed past her shoulders.

She smiled menacingly, opened the top of her dress and showed off her two perfect white mountains of flesh. She leaned over him, her pink nipples mounted above him like two ripe cherries ready to be popped into his mouth. She placed one near his lips. He kissed it, then flipped her on her back, covered her breast and fastened the top of her dress.

"Why, Mr. Daniels, you 'are' the gentlemen," she chuckled.

"Lucky for you I am."

"That's why I adore you so."

"Then come away with me."

"God! Do you know no other song?" she said, pushing him aside and hopping off the cot.

"Honey, you say you love me. You know your father isn't going to stop meddling. What else can we do except go away somewhere?"

"Where are we going to go? What are we going to live on?"

"We could go back to Oklahoma. Live with my mother until I start my own practice."

"You want me to go live on a little farm with your mother and four brothers and
sisters - a couple of cows and some chickens?"

"Margaret, it wouldn't be for long."

She stood in front of the mirror and twisted her hair up, piled it on top and stuck in the comb. She studied him in the mirror, as if she was trying to memorize every detail of his being. She turned to him.

"Father and I had a long talk. He gives us his blessings if we decide to marry, but he'll have nothing more to do with me. I'll be cut out of the family, forever."

"What! Really? Margaret, that's great. Why didn't you just tell me? God, this is wonderful." Nathan grabbed her, kissed and hugged her, but she just stood there like a piece of ice.

"I can't be with you," she said, glassy eyed.

He took her face in his hands and looked into her eyes."

"I know what you're thinking. You're giving up your inheritance. But honey, we'll be together and you see how the Korens live. They're not as rich as your father, but Mrs. Koren has a cook and housekeepers and a coachman. Honey I swear your hands will be as white and soft as they are now."

"It's not the money. I can't lose my family."

"Oh, sweetie, you don't really believe your father would disown you. He's just testing me to see if I'd want you without your money. And hell yes, I do."

She grabbed her head.

"Oh God, I don't know what to do. Nathan, I want to be with you, but I don't want to end up like my aunt Fanny."

"What about your aunt Fanny?"

"She fell in love with some local boy. My grandfather..."

"Joe Wainwright?"

"Yes. He threatened to cut her off from the family if she married him and she did. Now she's just a whisper. I don't remember, but I was told when grandfather died, she, her husband and children weren't even allowed to attend the funeral. It was his last wish.

"But, honey, that was your grandfather." She sighed.

"You don't understand. My family is deep into tradition. That's what makes you a Wainwright, following some protocol. Doing everything the Wainwright way. Damn, sometimes I hate that name."

"Then take another name. Daniels is a good name. I'll make it greater. You'll never be ashamed of it."

Margaret looked at him, as if she was really seeing him for the first time, as if she was seeing his soul. She smiled.

"I don't deserve you," she whispered. A tear rolled down her cheek. She grabbed her cloak and began to back up to the cottage door.

"Margaret, no," he yelled. She kept shaking her head 'no' and touched the door knob.

"Don't do this to us," he warned.

"I'm not as strong as Aunt Fanny."

"We can make this work. It's better to spend a life time with the man you love than to spend it pleasing your family."

"I can't live without ever seeing my mother."

"Margaret!"

"No! We love each other now. But how long would it be before something started to go wrong in our lives; and we'd blame each other for what we've both given up: you your apprenticeship with Koren and me my family. And we'd turn on each other and tear each other apart."

"But you don't know that...we could..."

"Oh, sweetie," she interrupted, "can't you see. I'm no good for you. I'm spoiled. I'm used to a cushy life. I'm used to having everything at my fingertips. Honey, I wouldn't last a week being poor out there in the Oklahoma wilderness with you and your mother and your brothers..."

"...and the chickens and the cows, yes I know," he said. "Well, forgive me for reaching a little too high," he said sarcastically.

She threw her cloak around her, walked to him and kissed him as hard as she could. He just stood there, stiff as a board. All the fight he had for their love was gone.

"Good bye," she whispered.

She opened the door, looked back at him; his eyes were dull and void. She swiftly walked to the coach. Nathan heard the trotting of the horse. He slowly walked and stood in the doorway. He watched the coach until it was as small as his thumb.








Recognized


This is not a complete chapter, but a shorter fanstory chapter for the sake of my readers.

For those just joining the story

Characters:

Nathan Daniels....Main Character
Duchess Margaret...Nathan's heart breaker and lost love (not mentioned in this chapter)
Doctor Koren.......Nathan's Mentor
Elisabeth Koren....Doctor Koren's wife
Koren Twins .......Ella and Ellie
Eva Mitchell.......Deeply in love with Nathan

Koren's Servants:

Pete...........Negro Coachman (not mentioned in this chapter)
Merald.............Head housekeeper
Jenny...............Maid and cook

Supporting Characters:
Sweet Springs Town folk
Art work by google





Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.