Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted April 8, 2013


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
ave atque vale - Hail and farewell

SWAN SONG

by Marisa3

Even though this is traditionally a military phrase,(hail and farewell) one of formal departure, I use it in the utmost respect here and with the highest regard. I have enjoyed the company of some wonderfully talented writers on this site and felt honored to be among you.

After much thought, I feel as if I have come to the end of my time on FanStory. I have penned a lot of essays and thereby covered a lot of ground, everything from political satire to honoring those I have lost and those that are the light of my life. It has been a most enjoyable experience for me and my writing has been graciously received by all of you.

To those I have come to know through your regular reviewing of my work, I thank you so very much for your warm and caring reviews. I am also very grateful to those that took the time to go through each piece and help me with the nuts and bolts of my writing. I am the queen of bad punctuation and you were always patient and kind in your instructions to me.

There are so many gifted writers on this site and I am extremely glad that I have had the privilege to lodge among you and feel acceptance for my one-dimensional style of writing. How I would love to play host to a cast of characters in my head as so many of you do. To be able to parade them out and fashion stories of depth and meaning, that is such a special gift to have.

The site is amazing in the mere geographical ground it covers. As much as I grouse about it at times, this virtual age of technology truly is a marvel. I have been able to connect with our lovely Canadian neighbors, as well as everyone from the frozen tundra of Alaska to the sunny shores of Hawaii. Not to mention Australia, India, Africa and Thailand. There are so many countries represented here and all with diverse backgrounds, so as to make the mix one of the most interesting and entertaining of all.

I wish each and every one of you continued writing success. Unlike me, each of you has a wellspring of creativity in a variety of genres to keep you engaged in the art of writing for as long as you wish to take up your pens and write. Some of you have already spread your wings and found a wider venue for your stories and poems and I commend you for this. There are still those of you on here that are reticent to dip your toe into the world of publishing, as you never feel quite ready to do so. I would say to you that you are more than ready and I hope you will one day soon realize that your talent is considerable and will decide to share it with the entire reading public. There can never be too many good writers in the world. There is always room for one more gifted and unique voice.

It is with much gratitude that I bid all of you a fond farewell. I have enjoyed your company and basked in the warmth of your encouraging words for my work. This is a truly unique enclave of kind and generous artists who practice their craft with meaning and style.

Perhaps one day I will see some familiar names in print and I will smile and be so glad that I knew you when.

No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth. ~Robert Southey



Recognized


I know there will be those that are rankled over the fact that I posted this as a piece rather than posting on my page. But since I am departing, I would think you would know this is not a ploy to boost my ranking on the site.

We do not always visit one anothers pages on a daily basis, so I wanted to let all those who have called themselves my fans, know that I will be off the site going forward. I just feel I have saturated this forum with enough of my essays for the time being. Maybe one day I will return with a fresh batch of thoughts, but for now the thought box has run dry.

I wanted the opportunity to thank all of you who have been so kind and caring to me. I have loved being able to write about so many different things and to purge my heart a bit on subjects that are near and dear to me.

I have been amazed at the level of creativity of so many of you during my time here. The poetry and stories are incredible and have left a lasting impression with me. It is a rare and privileged experience when a persons work leaves a lasting imprint on your soul, to the point of enriching your life. When writing is that good it is to be savored and remembered always. I experienced this caliber of writing on FS and I am taking much away with me.

I say to all of you, my dear friends, be well, be happy and keep writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Marisa3 All rights reserved.
Marisa3 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.