Children Poetry posted February 23, 2013


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a seikatsu haiku

haiku (beneath the oak tree)

by AlvinTEthington


PLEASE READ AUTHOR'S NOTES BEFORE REVIEWING
beneath the oak tree
sits a girl playing jacks
with acorns



Recognized


Haiku do NOT have to have 5/7/5 English syllables. "Seikatsu" haiku have to do with work and play and are not necessarily about nature.

Many of you have asked about the cutter in the haiku. If you read the poem aloud slowly, you will (or at least I do) hear a break between the second and third line. Note also the subject change.

I am teaching a course called "Japanese poetry-beginner" next month and we shall discuss how to be subtle with the cutter. Go to Classes on the above tool bar and choose "Japanese poetry--beginner." The syllabus and an opportunity to purchase the course should come up, if you so desire. If not, click on Course Details. In this course, we can talk about how to be subtle with a cutter.

Somewhere along the line there appeared the idea that words ending in "-ing" are not allowed in haiku. One word ending in "-ing" is perfectly acceptable in English language haiku.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. AlvinTEthington All rights reserved.
AlvinTEthington has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.