Essay Non-Fiction posted January 27, 2013


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What word would you expunge from your vocabulary?

I Can't tolerate that word.

by DALLAS01

What does that mean? (I can't tolerate?)

Are there any specific words in the dictionary that offend your sensibilities; rub you the wrong way; undermine your intent; or bruise your self- esteem? Or better yet, are there certain words that just make you want to puke?
I found one that does all of that for me, and more. Tolerate. Webster's definition is:
(1) To allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance; permit.
(2) To endure without repugnance which is a strong distaste or aversion; put up with.
(3) To experience, undergo, or sustain, as pain or hardship.
(4) Med to endure or resist the action of (a drug, invasive procedure, etc.)

The only one I can tolerate happens to be number four and that is because in that context it can never be construed as personal, and is therefore completely divorced from the three examples that preclude it. If I am tolerating the heat for instance, that means it hasn't killed me. If I can't tolerate a medication, no harm done, It doesn't work, so call the Dr. and try another prescription.

In either of these scenarios I have escaped without any permanent damage to my psyche. Not so in definitions one through three.

For too many years I tolerated inappropriate behavior and verbal abuse from a spouse. I was the poster child for the first definition. When he walked all over my self-esteem, it never occurred to me that I was the one who had placed myself at his disposal in a prone position. Why did I do that? I don't know. Maybe it was out of fear, or because I was so young and he was eight years older, or perhaps it was because I was ashamed and didn't want to hear my mother say I told you so. Take your pick. It really doesn't matter because the bottom line is that it continued as long as I tolerated it: it was easier to put up with it than to pick myself up and fight back.

There are some situations where I think the word patience or impatience would be better served: In the office for instance, If I am accepting, on a regular basis, shoddy work from an employee, and I am tolerating it, then shame on me because change is unlikely to occur. If however, I choose to address it and use a little patience, the situation may remedy itself.

Is a child trying your patience? That could be a temporary dilemma that houses a fix.
But when parents tolerate tantrums, they had better start a fund and label it bail money for the future when the kid takes it a step further. Kids just love the concept of tolerate.

In my dictionary, the word tolerate is a rusty old lock that can only be pried open with more constructive words; ones that seek a solution. In some cases patience may apply. Or in others like mine, simply remove it.



Recognized


Thank to Todo for the art work.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. DALLAS01 All rights reserved.
DALLAS01 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.